Author Topic: Higher than average mileage at present.  (Read 3252 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Higher than average mileage at present.
« on: April 22, 2021, 02:12:03 PM »
At the moment I am doing 600 miles a week, in my tired old Jazz. If this continues much longer I will have to up my mileage with my insurer. I have a hole developing in my backbox, but because of circumstance, I cannot arrange to get it repaired. Hope I can replace it before it decides to drop off on the motorway!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Higher than average mileage at present.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 03:16:39 PM »
I didn't do much more than that for the whole of 2019 !

My CTEK got more use than my fuel flap.
Let's be careful out there !

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 05:02:39 PM »
My Wheelie Bins been out more than I have in the Jazz  :)
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 05:32:52 PM »
At the moment I am doing 600 miles a week, in my tired old Jazz. If this continues much longer I will have to up my mileage with my insurer. I have a hole developing in my backbox, but because of circumstance, I cannot arrange to get it repaired. Hope I can replace it before it decides to drop off on the motorway!

Buy a backbox from  Ebay and fit it yourself, £20 to £35 per unit delivered,    2 bolts to undo, 30 minutes work,  save  the money for the fuel for the 600 miles per week 

ps the Honda OEM part is £237
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 09:33:51 PM by E27006 »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 05:48:26 PM »
My son-in-law said he will do it for me but I cannot arrange anything at the moment for the same reason I am doing 600 miles per week. I am too infirm to fit it myself.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 09:40:24 PM »
If its only a hole, the silencer should still hang on. Just be a bit noisy, which is not ideal. Fun at the traffic lights with the boy racers though!!

Your Jazz will stand by you though. They are tough little cars and there are non better for reliability.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 10:27:44 PM »
If its only a hole, the silencer should still hang on. Just be a bit noisy, which is not ideal. Fun at the traffic lights with the boy racers though!!
It is not too noisy. I am aware of a burble when I leave and enter the garage, but it seems to be getting worse. It is the front face of the silencer. That is where it went last time and there was not a lot of time between the exhaust starting to burble and the silencer bouncing along the tarmac. If the pipe went an inch into the silencer the silencer wouldn't drop, but I think the pipe finished flush with the front face.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 08:24:22 AM »
It is not too noisy. I am aware of a burble when I leave and enter the garage, but it seems to be getting worse. It is the front face of the silencer. That is where it went last time and there was not a lot of time between the exhaust starting to burble and the silencer bouncing along the tarmac. If the pipe went an inch into the silencer the silencer wouldn't drop, but I think the pipe finished flush with the front face.

Until the car is inspected, we will not know for sure, but it  may be the Firering seal, the Firering can wear and leak,  the rear box couples to the centre pipe by a  ball and socket style of joint, tensioned by two springs ,  the Fire Ring  sits between the ball and the socket of the spring loaded joint, again you can have the Firering from Ebay, usually part of a kit with new springs and the collared bolts. the springs/collared bolts/firering parts are the same ones  for the Exhaust Manifold to Catalytic convertor joint

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 08:56:08 AM »
Until the car is inspected, we will not know for sure, but it  may be the Firering seal, the Firering can wear and leak
The car has been inspected, by my son-in-law. who is a time served mechanic with 45 years working as a mechanic. The rear wall of the silencer is rusted and holed. It needs a new backbox.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 09:35:40 AM »
........ or a new Jazz :D

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 10:38:06 AM »
It's a great testament to your Jazz though that it's still capable of being used as a high mileage daily driver. Hope circumstances improve soon Jocko so you can dial back your inter galactic weekly mileage.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 10:55:52 AM »
I thought I might have had a day off today, but my wife has said she wants to go and visit her Mum so I am off in an hour.

Narrowed down my replacement to an MG5 Excite or a new Jazz SR. I fancied the Honda e, but my wife thinks it looks ugly. Doesn't like the front end.

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2021, 11:16:39 AM »

Mine did drop off.. I think I posted about it at the time. I replaced the middle and back sections with a Klarious exhaust with 5 year guarantee. Something like £50 for both parts. The hardest part was getting the middle section off the catalyst. All rusted up and bonded together. The back section was fairly easy I think.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2021, 11:18:35 AM »
I think you'd struggle to do 600 miles a week in a Honda-E

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2021, 11:34:19 AM »
The new car will replace the Jazz one we move to the south of Edinburgh. Then I will be doing 600 miles a year! Once a week to Asda at the Jewel. That and the odd hospital appointment (4 mile round trip).

Tags: