Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 693579 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #1561 on: November 06, 2020, 07:33:59 PM »
I watch Gridwatch and strangely when it is overcast and the sun does not shine, renewables fall from 50% of output to 20odd %...

We have 39 Gas powered stations and they are producing 50% of demand. They will be closed when we are carbon neutral..

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1562 on: November 06, 2020, 08:40:44 PM »
I watch Gridwatch and strangely when it is overcast and the sun does not shine, renewables fall from 50% of output to 20odd %...

We have 39 Gas powered stations and they are producing 50% of demand. They will be closed when we are carbon neutral..

Are candles carbon neutral ?

You can't run a country using fans on sticks for your power supply......
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #1563 on: November 07, 2020, 07:41:31 AM »
We might be better applying some creativity to this rather than just cold water.

Like storing energy in liquified air.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54841528
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #1564 on: November 07, 2020, 10:53:39 AM »
Saw the tail end of a programme about the National Grid a night or two ago. They were talking about the Drax power station in Yorkshire. It's moving or has moved to using biomass and the programme indicated that there were no plans to close it.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #1565 on: November 07, 2020, 11:48:03 AM »
Saw the tail end of a programme about the National Grid a night or two ago. They were talking about the Drax power station in Yorkshire. It's moving or has moved to using biomass and the programme indicated that there were no plans to close it.

Drax have been converting to imported biomass for many years, and will stop burning coal altogether next year.

Many coal fired stations have been burning some proportion of biomass, the one near me was burning all sorts of wierd and wonderful things before it closed last year. Olive pressings was fairly regular, they burned them overnight and brown spots appeared on cars - they flat denied it, but we knew people that worked on the haulage... and you could smell it!

Willow and elephant grass is also grown locally for electricity generation.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #1566 on: November 07, 2020, 12:11:37 PM »
I've got my doubts about biomass too.
Renewable yes. Carbon neutral. I doubt it.
The argument for biomass is that replacement trees absorb carbon dioxide but trees grow slowly and wood can be burned quickly. Are the trees even replaced? They could be being cleared for building or agriculture

I think a lot of the wood comes in the form of pellets from USA. The wood is supposed to be scraps of waste wood but I suspect that much of it could be put to better use.
Transporting pellets from USA is hardly environmentally friendly either.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/environmentalaccounts/articles/aburningissuebiomassisthebiggestsourceofrenewableenergyconsumedintheuk/2019-08-30
Edit Changed link
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 12:35:19 PM by JimSh »

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #1567 on: November 07, 2020, 12:18:44 PM »

Many coal fired stations have been burning some proportion of biomass, the one near me was burning all sorts of wierd and wonderful things before it closed last year.
Before it shut the Longannet power station was experimenting  with burning dried sewage.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 12:32:54 PM by JimSh »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1568 on: November 07, 2020, 02:22:18 PM »
BOC and other gas companies have been making liquid air for a long, long time.

https://www.thegreenage.co.uk/tech/liquid-air-storage/``

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #1569 on: November 07, 2020, 03:20:08 PM »
Yep, the Biomass (wood) pellets for Drax come into Liverpool and are then loaded onto specially designated goods train which take the 'cheap route' through Rochdale and Calderdale to get to Drax, rather than the express line through Manchester and Huddersfield where they might risk delaying an airport express!

Before Lockdown 1.0, when I was commuting on the Calderdale line to Leeds, at 0630, my train would often be delayed by one of these Drax trains coming through. Far easier to stop a two coach commuter train than long goods train. You could smell the wood though, it was unmistakable and strangely evocative.

Quite eerie, standing on the platform at Sowerby Bridge as this train approached from the dark, pulling a minimum of 20 wagons of biomass. By the time the diesel engine had gone through and half a dozen wagons had passed, you could no longer hear the engine so wagon after wagon would go past very quietly and disappear again off into the gloom.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #1570 on: November 07, 2020, 04:36:16 PM »
Before it shut the Longannet power station was experimenting  with burning dried sewage.
That sounds a load of sh*t to me.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1571 on: November 07, 2020, 04:38:56 PM »
BOC and other gas companies have been making liquid air for a long, long time.
Yes, but not to store energy.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #1572 on: November 08, 2020, 11:32:33 AM »
Transporting pellets from USA is hardly environmentally friendly either.

I agree, importing raw materials to burn from the the other side of the world has to be costly, both monetary and environmental.

Not only that, some of the sources of these pellets are somewhat murky, with some traced back to illegal logging being mixed in with certified sources. Some say that the vast size of the certified trade is encouraging illegal deforestation.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1573 on: November 14, 2020, 01:12:41 PM »
The sale of new petrol and diesel cars will be banned within a decade, Boris Johnson is set to announce next week as part of a broader package of green initiatives.
In February, Mr Johnson announced that the existing ban on selling new petrol or diesel cars would be brought forward from 2040 to 2035.
Now the prime minister is expected to move the date forward to 2030 in an attempt to jump-start the market for electric cars in the UK and push Britain towards its climate goal, according to industry and Whitehall figures.
However, the government is expected to keep the less stringent date of 2035 for the phase-out of the sale of hybrid cars that plug in to charge.

Full article here: https://www.ft.com/content/5e9af60b-774b-4a72-8d06-d34b5192ffb4

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #1574 on: November 14, 2020, 02:22:42 PM »
This change from petrol/diesel will be another disaster.

How long will petrol/diesel still be available.

There are about 40 million cars curently so that's quite a few charging points needed to cater for even half that. Best of luck if you live and park along a long victorian terrace with no driveways.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags: