Author Topic: MPG for those interested.  (Read 172607 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: MPG for those interested.
« Reply #195 on: August 31, 2018, 08:51:33 AM »
For my model Jazz I actually get 106% of the official mpg and 117% of Honest John's Real MPG. Honest John gives Real MPG as 91% of official figure. 46.5 mpg as against 51.4 mpg,  and my two year average is 54.3 mpg.
These figures are for the 2001 - 2008 1.2i.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #196 on: August 31, 2018, 09:24:01 AM »
Last time I looked they asked you to record what the onboard computer shows
I had a good search of the Honest John site and can find no mention of recording what the computer says. It just asks for your real mpg. Mind you, the majority of motorists these days just go by their onboard computer and no longer calculate what they are actually getting.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #197 on: August 31, 2018, 09:31:14 AM »
The key variables are where and how the car is driven.  I have no problem averaging real world 52 mpg, but the average speed is 34 mph and in largely rural and flat East Anglia.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 04:40:48 PM by Downsizer »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #198 on: August 31, 2018, 10:11:54 AM »
Last time I looked they asked you to record what the onboard computer shows
I had a good search of the Honest John site and can find no mention of recording what the computer says. It just asks for your real mpg. Mind you, the majority of motorists these days just go by their onboard computer and no longer calculate what they are actually getting.

I wonder if he's changed it then. I confess it was a few years ago when I looked and I remember thinking at the time that this would give an inaccurate picture.

On the onboard computer, I guess it's OK if you aren't too fussed about accuracy and it will show up any sudden changes. I find it about 4 mpg optimistic.

I've got a pal who is a money saving fanatic. Extra jumpers rather than turn up the central heating, keen collector of money off vouchers, buys all his clothes from Asda but he doesn't bother with mpg just putting £20 in when the light comes on.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #199 on: August 31, 2018, 11:22:50 AM »
The key variables are where and how the car is driven.  I have no problem averaging real world 52 mpg, but the average speed is 34 mpg and in largely rural and flat East Anglia.
Similar figures and circumstances as myself, though it is not all that flat around here!

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #200 on: August 31, 2018, 11:52:55 AM »
I achieved a new personal record. Went up to Yorkshire for a few days. On the way up the M1 I stayed in lane one with the CC on at 60mph until I got to the 50mph roadworks. Just after the roadworks ended my car was showing 71.2mpg :)

Having driven 360 miles I still have a third of a tank left according to the fuel gauge. Sadly that will fall rapidly once I get back to commuting next week :(

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #201 on: August 31, 2018, 12:18:23 PM »
Sounds a bit like another pal of mine who, a few years ago, in his Mk1 Jazz, did an economy run on his way back to the North West from East Anglia. He stayed at 60 where possible and was helped considerably by a few long stretches of 50 mph. I forget the exact figure but it was in the high 60s on the computer so probably 65 ish.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #202 on: August 31, 2018, 01:14:31 PM »
My best calculated mpg for a tankful was 62. That did include a 75 mile, Sunday afternoon run out for ice cream! Obviously it was during the summer!!
I have had a calculated 66 mpg at a top up but it was a short fill up, after only 100 miles, so that doesn't count.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #203 on: August 31, 2018, 06:32:03 PM »
Well we'll find out the actual MPG either tomorrow or Sunday. I have two more local golf courses to drive to and hopefully I can do that and fill up ready for the week ahead.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #205 on: August 31, 2018, 07:30:23 PM »
The biggest gain for most people would be not using the brakes except in emergencies and when coming to a halt. Learn to plan ahead and anticipate traffic flow. Lift off early. Even though I drive an automatic with a CVT I can still drive hundreds of miles without ever having to touch the brake pedal.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #206 on: August 31, 2018, 07:37:49 PM »
The biggest gain for most people would be not using the brakes except in emergencies and when coming to a halt. Learn to plan ahead and anticipate traffic flow. Lift off early. Even though I drive an automatic with a CVT I can still drive hundreds of miles without ever having to touch the brake pedal.

Do let us know when your brake calipers seize up from lack of use, it will be the rear ones first.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #207 on: August 31, 2018, 08:00:56 PM »
Do let us know when your brake calipers seize up from lack of use, it will be the rear ones first.
I seldom use the brakes and drove more than 100,000 miles with my Cavalier and never experienced brake issues. Don't know about the Jazz though. Only done 20,000 miles with that so far.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #208 on: August 31, 2018, 08:14:23 PM »
I seldom use the brakes and drove more than 100,000 miles with my Cavalier and never experienced brake issues. Don't know about the Jazz though. Only done 20,000 miles with that so far.

I can only assume that your brakes were well maintained, unlike the Jazz service schedule requirements.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #209 on: August 31, 2018, 08:37:36 PM »

Callipers are unlikely to be a problem however corroded discs could be. They will still last longer than those of a typical driver but it might smart a bit to have to replace discs because they have too much surface pitting and aren't worth skimming down.

Tags:

anything