Author Topic: MPG for those interested.  (Read 172859 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: MPG for those interested.
« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2017, 12:44:04 PM »
This is a response from Shell to an email request for information:
Thank you for your email. Please accept my personal apology for the delay of this response as we are currently receiving high volume of enquiries via email.

I can confirm that Shell V-Power unleaded contains up to 5% ethanol as stipulated by the European fuel specification EN228 and UK government legislation. In addition Shell FuelSave Regular Unleaded and Shell V-Power Nitro+ Unleaded also contain up to 5% ethanol. This is in order to respond to the European Union and UK government’s initiative to promote biofuels, whose aim is to reduce CO2 emissions and enhance energy supply security.

For the latest information on biofuel legislation in the UK, please consult the Department for Transport’s website http://www.dft.gov.uk/.

At Shell, we are passionate about fuel, and our dedicated fuel scientists work continuously in the lab to bring you the most advanced and effective fuels.

Once again, thank you for contacting Shell UK. We do hope you have found this information useful.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2017, 01:46:58 PM »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2017, 02:48:22 PM »
This may be of interest.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/new-e10-fuel-will-cost-uk-motorists/

Typical muddled thinking,  ethanol often takes more energy to produce than it supplies, also why grow ethanol crops instead of food.  EU made a big mistake with bio diesel,  poor countries were destroying rain forest to plant Palm oil trees to supply Europe with 'green' bio oil,  I don't know if it is stupidity or vested interests at work here.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:12:04 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
MPG for those interested.
« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2017, 04:45:46 PM »
This is a response from Shell to an email request for information:

The European fuel specification aside, in Belgium there is no ethanol in the Shell V-Power.
On the Shell website about the e10, of course in Dutch, but the last sentence (i made background yellow) says it: "If a vehicle is not suitable for Eurosuper 95 E10, it can use Shell V-Power, as there isn't processed bio-ethanol in it. "
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 04:49:11 PM by jazzway »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2017, 06:17:01 PM »
I have read that BP 97 ultimate does not contain ethanol but BP 95 does in UK..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #125 on: July 11, 2017, 06:53:36 PM »
Found this too.

BP - Ethanol is added at 5% to unleaded petrol at all sites across the UK, BP ultimate (super unleaded) does not have ethanol added except in the SW of England.
Esso_ Ethanol is added at 5% to unleaded petrol at most sites in the UK, Esso super unleaded does not contain ethanol except in the SW of England
Shell - Shell has repeatedly refused to answer the question, it is therefore an assumption only that all Shell petrol should be considered to contain 5% ethanol.
Texaco - Ethanol is added at 5% to unleaded petrol , Texaco super unleaded does not contain ethanol.
Total - ethanol is not added to any Total fuel including standard unleaded except in the NW and SE of England.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #126 on: July 16, 2017, 07:03:05 PM »
Just for a laugh I put Tesco Premium into my Jazz this weekend and curiously the car is claiming round 60mg. It usually sits around 54mg. I have this week off work so that will complicate things

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #127 on: July 16, 2017, 08:35:51 PM »
I too an going to try a premium fuel this next top up. I will be filling my tank, at Sainsbury's, on Friday (£2.50 off voucher), so I'll see what they've got and give it a try.

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #128 on: July 16, 2017, 11:28:06 PM »
Hi

I hope you don't mind, but to lighten the mood slightly, as I was waiting at a set of lights, I said a prayer to see if it helps my fuel consumption as behold, here's a pic of my mpg

(For those who do not realise, this is a little joke albeit the pic is correct, just minutes after filling up haha)

Many thanks

John

guest1372

« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2017, 12:00:03 AM »
I bet it was plummeting as soon as the picture was taken, and where on earth is it only 10°?
--
TG

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #130 on: July 17, 2017, 07:11:22 AM »
Hi TG

Haha, plummeting is not the word for it.

I only took the picture to have a joke with my brother, and it started at over 100 mpg. By the time I had picked my mobile up, and took the picture, it had lost about 20mpg haha

Sorry, it's a few months old, so 10^ was considered warm

Many thanks

John

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2017, 05:17:48 PM »
Hmm. It's settled down to 58 mpg. That's higher than normal but could just be down to me being on vacation and not subject to Banbury rush hour. Still - it's interesting. It still seems a bit better than I'd expect which rather surprises me. I'd assumed that only performance engines could see a difference but maybe the Honda unit is so advanced that it can work more efficiently.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2017, 08:52:42 PM »
This may be of interest.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/new-e10-fuel-will-cost-uk-motorists/

Typical muddled thinking,  ethanol often takes more energy to produce than it supplies, also why grow ethanol crops instead of food.  EU made a big mistake with bio diesel,  poor countries were destroying rain forest to plant Palm oil trees to supply Europe with 'green' bio oil,  I don't know if it is stupidity or vested interests at work here.

I think, regardless of your take on climate change and air quality, some very odd decisions are made in an attempt to hit targets. I have never seen the sense of burning food to power transport and the decision to encourage diesel to hit CO2 targets must be one of the worst given the implications for air quality.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #133 on: July 18, 2017, 09:17:44 PM »
Hmm. It's settled down to 58 mpg. That's higher than normal but could just be down to me being on vacation and not subject to Banbury rush hour. Still - it's interesting. It still seems a bit better than I'd expect which rather surprises me. I'd assumed that only performance engines could see a difference but maybe the Honda unit is so advanced that it can work more efficiently.

The knock sensor is there for a reason, it will retard the ignition until it senses knocking is down to a reasonable level that will not damage engine,  and by the same token can advance ignition when higher octane fuel is sensed and get a more complete burn by firing the spark earlier - even though high octane has got less energy in it than lower octane,  if the engine detects knocking and retards the ignition while using lower octane the extra energy is wasted as the charge is still burning as the piston is well down its stroke.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2017, 09:22:14 PM »
I think, regardless of your take on climate change and air quality, some very odd decisions are made in an attempt to hit targets. I have never seen the sense of burning food to power transport and the decision to encourage diesel to hit CO2 targets must be one of the worst given the implications for air quality.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3661875/A-spotless-sun-Incredible-image-shows-solar-activity-quietest-100-years-say-trigger-mini-ice-age.html

Global warming,  they are having a laff - according to lack of sun activity we are heading for an ice age,  NASA say 'the effect of sun activity on global warmth is still a work in progress' - WTF even a 5 year old knows that when you turn a heater up you get hotter,  turn it down you get colder - think of the sun as the Earths heater.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:39:50 PM by culzean »

Tags: