Author Topic: MPG for those interested.  (Read 172821 times)

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: MPG for those interested.
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2017, 09:49:37 PM »
Hi Culzean
I should have said, that both cases, supermarket & main fuel company, we were talking 95RON fuel
I don't think I've ever used 97RON in my cars, certainly not in recent years.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2017, 12:15:19 AM »
About the Redex... it cleans more than the additives in petrol, but what happens with the dirt it losens? Does it solve and not float to another place? And how would you compare 95 octane petrol (with the 5-10 percent) ethanol plus Redex, to a higher octane petrol without ethanol and better additives (V-Power/BP Ultimate) without

If you have been using premium fuel your system will probably be pretty clean anyway, but purpose made system cleaners are not expensive.
I experience the difference — smoother drive (maybe between my ears) and a few percent better MPG compared to the Euro 95 petrol i used before. But with using a premium fuel without ethanol, an extra system cleaner might be overkill. And going back to a fuel with 5-10 percent ethanol will always give a decrease in MPG whatever cleaner i put in, i guess.

It sounds like a challenge between the most kilometers per litre (your MPG) for the lowest costs, but i really care about a clean system as we like to drive this Jazz for many more years. And ultimately that saves more on the long term. ;)

Anything that the cleaner dissolves is only stuff that is normally in fuel anyway and will just get injected and burned with fuel.
Thanks! I was wondering about that always, both with Redex and other brand cleaners.

Redex is not the only cleaner available Wynns, STP and others make similar product,  you only need to use it occasionally, add some to tank of fuel about once every one or two months - which means it is not expensive.
Again, with a premium fuel it might be overkill, or not?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #107 on: July 06, 2017, 08:30:25 AM »
Hi Culzean
I should have said, that both cases, supermarket & main fuel company, we were talking 95RON fuel
I don't think I've ever used 97RON in my cars, certainly not in recent years.

My wife also uses 95 branded fuels now,  only when I fill her car up it gets the occasional tank of 97.  I have tried Tesco 99 a couple of times in Jazz and Civic and was happy enough with it but normally use Esso, BP or Shell, although I did notice my Civic seemed to like Total 95RON,  but no Total stations near where I live.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 03:46:48 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #108 on: July 06, 2017, 12:42:01 PM »
Bought a bottle of Redex Petrol Treatment (Asda, £3 for 250 ml), and popped half if it into my full tank (recommended amount). I'll see how I get along and keep the forum informed.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2017, 03:50:04 PM »

https://www.todaytonightadelaide.com.au/stories/petrol-test

This Australian fuel test is interesting.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2017, 04:17:07 PM »
I would have been more convinced if they had tried all fuels in one car and one driver.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2017, 04:17:26 PM »
Five different vehicles involved  :D :D

They needed to at least repeat the test with the best fuel in the car which gave the worst result and vice versa.

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2017, 04:35:30 PM »
You men 98 octane in the diesel and diesel in the 98 octane car. Sure the results would be startlingly different  :P

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2017, 04:38:41 PM »
Ha Ha! They sure would!

I pretty much ignored the diesel being more interested in the difference between the petrol cars, so was suggesting switching those around.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
MPG for those interested.
« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2017, 04:52:22 PM »

https://www.todaytonightadelaide.com.au/stories/petrol-test

This Australian fuel test is interesting.
"The problem with e10 isn't so much actually burning the alcohol in the engine. It is that the alcohol is hydroscopic; that it can actually absorb water from the atmosphere when it's in an open tank - particularly in the ground tank at the petrol station.

Water still can get into the fuel system and you may still have these problems of blocked filters and rough running. Even in a brand new car."

And that's why i fill with v-power without ethanol! :) Euro95 in the Netherlands is 5% and in Belgium it's e10 (10%) since January.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2017, 05:26:16 PM »
You men 98 octane in the diesel and diesel in the 98 octane car. Sure the results would be startlingly different  :P
Including the diesel in the test will be meaningful to some but I just ignored it!

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2017, 05:31:23 PM »
I would have been more convinced if they had tried all fuels in one car and one driver.

I was actually surprised how close the 98 was to the Diesel. 55 to 59 "kays"

I don't know anything about the Hyundai i30 diesel but I doubt it was identical to the four petrol cars as the article says!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2017, 05:39:24 PM »
Found the Shell V-Power has 5% ethanol and, in Scotland, so has 98 RON Esso Synergy!

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #118 on: July 10, 2017, 08:39:42 PM »
That will be all the shale gas being imported into the Grangemouth refinery.  :-)

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2017, 11:37:21 AM »
Found the Shell V-Power has 5% ethanol and, in Scotland, so has 98 RON Esso Synergy!
I thought that only in Belgium, the Netherlands and France V-Power does not contain ethanol. At the gas station in Belgium where i fill there's a big 'no ethanol in v-power' sign so okay for older cars. ;)

Tags: