Author Topic: Honda Jazz emblem  (Read 2536 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Honda Jazz emblem
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 12:12:05 PM »
Fair point well made!  :D I didn't realise an airbag might change dependent on model, not something I've come across before. Naturaly, I would advise checking the part number with your own before buying.

No, it was a good idea, and still only £15... and to be fair, it's probably the easiest way out. If the badge was available separately, Honda would probably want to charge you more than that for it.

Not sure about the legality of sending these things through the post though!

4wheels

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2007 1.4 iDSI MK II
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 12:04:00 PM »
I don't know if this is the correct way to respond to all the messages but I'll try! Thanks v much to all who posted replies. I was hoping I could get just the H badge itself, not the whole airbag part as well. I have zero mechanical knowledge whatsoever! Figured I could just pull out the current flaking badge and replace with a good one so the breakers yard option seems my best bet, but I'll check out the other suggestions too. Thanks again peeps!

4wheels

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 12:05:14 PM »
Start here and see if you can find it:

https://www.lingshondaparts.com/partscatalog/catalog/selectsearch/catalog/hondacars/

Unfortunately, I don't think it's available separately from the airbag.
That's a real shame as I'd hoped it was.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2021, 12:18:35 PM »
If you have a chat with a few local scrapyards, they might let you have a blown airbag with a good badge for free, or a few quid.

I would think they will only be glued on. A broad knife and a hairdryer might do the trick, but don't go berserk as you don't want to cook the airbag module underneath  ;)

You could be breaking new ground here, a steering wheel badge pioneer  ;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 12:25:53 PM by sparky Paul »

4wheels

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2021, 01:48:47 PM »

4wheels

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2021, 02:23:28 PM »
If you have a chat with a few local scrapyards, they might let you have a blown airbag with a good badge for free, or a few quid.

I would think they will only be glued on. A broad knife and a hairdryer might do the trick, but don't go berserk as you don't want to cook the airbag module underneath  ;)

Thanks for input. I'm getting the car tomorrow :D and because I remember it looking like the attached (with cream plastic showing through), I think it's an emblem with prongs rather than a sticker, but still haven't found out definitively as they seem to be different on every model ever made!  >:(  I'll check with scrapyards or and/or try and source somewhere. I rather fancy being a steering wheel badge pioneer  ;D

4wheels

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2021, 02:28:02 PM »

Thanks for input. I'm getting the car tomorrow :D and because I remember it looking like the attached (with cream plastic showing through), I think it's an emblem with prongs rather than a sticker, but still haven't found out definitively as they seem to be different on every model ever made!  >:(  I'll check with scrapyards and/or try and source somewhere. I rather fancy being a steering wheel badge pioneer  ;D
Did you get all 3 attachments? I usually can, but on this site I can't figure out this posting/replying/attachments stuff at all  :(
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 02:30:55 PM by 4wheels »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2021, 07:17:27 PM »
I think the mk1 S model has a flat plastic badge that fits into a recess in the airbag. I've just nipped out for a look at the daughter's Jazz SE, and it is exactly like the photo of the mk2 wheel you posted - the chromed emblem is set into the shaped plastic of the airbag cover.

Looking around the internet, it seems that the fixings for the badge are moulded into the cover, and are very difficult to remove without damaging the emblem. If you could get a scrap blown airbag, you could have a go at removing it by cutting around it to avoid damage... If that's successful, you could then have a go at removing the raggy one on your wheel.

It sounds like the stick on gel badges are unsatisfactory too, it appears that they peel at the edges due to the shape of the recess in the wheel.

£15 for an airbag with a good badge still sounds the best bet.

4wheels

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2021, 08:00:55 PM »
Thanks for all your help. I'm still not sure if it's the peel-off one or the pronged one - I did attach 3 pics but it seems only one was visible, so I'll try again. I've checked around the internet too but finding out which fits my model, let alone finding one to purchase, is proving impossible. If I can track the correct badge down with the airbag cover I'd be happy to remove it (I'm a modelmaker so am good at that kind of thing :D). It's a pity there isn't a good chrome paint out there, but I could always strip the rest of the peeled paint off and spray it silver. Not the same I know, but it would do if none of the other options bear fruit.   

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2021, 08:20:13 PM »
You could always pick off the scabby one to see how it is fitted and if push comes to shove, paint it red, like the Type R models.

4wheels

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2021, 09:54:18 PM »
It's worth a thought, thanks. Or I could choose a non Jazz colour and completely personalise it, I suppose!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2021, 04:05:45 AM »
Matt or gloss black ?
Let's be careful out there !

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2021, 07:52:10 AM »
Just my opinion, others may disagree, don't fit a 2nd hand airbag, you may inadvertently replace a perfectly good one with one of the potentially lethal pre-recall Takarta items taken off a Jazz that got scrapped before being recalled.
Also they are an explosive device which is dangerous & can be set off accidentally when tampered with, plenty 'fun' videos on YouTube of people setting them off if your interested.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2021, 09:22:58 AM »
It's perfectly safe to replace the airbag if you follow the deactivation procedure to the letter. It's a fair point about the old faulty airbags, but most mk1s scrapped now should have had any necessary replacements - and most sellers can give you the reg of the vehicle it came off.

As said earlier, my first port of call would certainly be trying Jocko's idea of checking the recall situation first, it's obviously not a new airbag the OP has fitted.

I did see one who masked up the badge and sprayed it silver, and that looked okay. You can actually get a very good chrome paint kit nowadays, but it's a bit of work to get the effect spot on.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2021, 09:36:48 AM »
Thanks for all your help. I'm still not sure if it's the peel-off one or the pronged one - I did attach 3 pics but it seems only one was visible, so I'll try again. I've checked around the internet too but finding out which fits my model, let alone finding one to purchase, is proving impossible. If I can track the correct badge down with the airbag cover I'd be happy to remove it (I'm a modelmaker so am good at that kind of thing :D).

All the mark 1 SE-model steering wheels are the same, certainly of that model year - the emblem is set in to the plastic and pronged, as in your pics. This is the type you need, but you only need the cover off a blown one if you are going to swap the emblem

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-2008-HONDA-JAZZ-STEERING-WHEEL-AIRBAG-77800-SAA-G82/264206694117

The donor badge from a scrap airbag is certainly an option, but don't forget to check if yours has an outstanding recall on the airbag - Honda will fit you a brand new one FOC if it is. You can check here to see if there are any outstanding recalls

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

There are some really good chrome paint kits out there now, but they're not cheap!

« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 10:08:53 AM by sparky Paul »

Tags: