Author Topic: Jazz CVT: buy or not to buy????  (Read 8812 times)

guest113

Jazz CVT: buy or not to buy????
« on: July 29, 2007, 12:00:13 PM »
I am seriously considering replacing my 02 Jazz with a new CVT model. I would be very interested in any comments from CVT owners both positive and negative.

guest386

• Topic Starter
Re: Jazz CVT
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 11:34:12 AM »
I see you’ve had no responses yet, so maybe if I give this thread a bump, it will provoke some. Ulterior motive is that I’m also interested in buying a CVT Jazz.

guest221

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 07:33:12 PM »
I’ve never driven the auto….but the manual is slickest shifter around!

Comical Engineer

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 02:12:12 PM »
Not driven one far but:

Takes a while to get used to the CVT engine noise because the engine speed is not directly related to road speed in full auto mode. The Jazz has 7 “ratios” which can be used like a normal auto instead of full CVT.

Is it any good? Well, if you spend a lot of time in traffic jams then probably wrth it. Otherwise stick to the very slick manual. As for reliability, I haven’t heard any adverse comments.

As an aiside, when I was a student, one of my colleagues owns a DAF 66 with “Variomatic” box (CVT). I remember it only did about 65mph flat out but that it could do the same speed in reverse…. scary

guest156

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 07:12:18 PM »
CVT is actually one of the main reasons we considered this car.

With CVT engine RPMs linked to acceleration not to speed. This in my opinion how it should be, so I like it Grin

7-speed mode isn’t really a replacement for stick. It isn’t very convinient to shift gears, but works fine if you just need some engine breaking.

Overall, I really like how CVT performs. Much better compared to regular AT. You may consider MT if you get some “fun” from shifting gears, but I don’t think you can do any better than how CVT would do it for you.

guest174

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 08:02:01 PM »
I’m new to this forum, so this is my first post

But back to the topic:
I have a Honda Jazz 1.4LS CVT (2007) and I verry happy with the car.
I ordered the car in october 2006 and had ordered a Nighthawk Black Pearl. And that car was schedule to arrive in january 2007. But it was delayed and I got a rare Black Amethyst Pearl instead. I got the car in February 2007.

In october 2006 before I was ordering the car I testet about 15 other cars in the same class as the Jazz. Some with and some without automatic transmission.
I have also testet a manual transmission Jazz back in 2002 when the car model first arrived here in Norway and fell in love with the car allready back then. But when testing the CVT model in 2006 I just fell in love again.

The CVT system is realy nice. You turn the key, set the transmission in D mode and just press the throttle and cruise away. It feels a little strange, like driving in first gear all the time. You never hear or feel any jerks of car changing gear since it is variable and has no “steps”.
There are many modes you can have the transmission in also:

Standard D-mode (Drive)-> variable transmission and the system selects the best gear ratio for the scenario you are driving in.

Standard S-mode (Sport)-> good for accelerating fast. Only diffrence from D-mode is that the motor revs a little higher and gives you a little more power.

L-mode (Low gear) -> Not sure where you will use this, but I presume it will be nice to use when starting up a steep hill or if you have a heavy load.

There are ofcourse the P (park), N (Neutral) and R (Reverse) mode too…

In D and S mode you can switch to “7-speed mode” with a button on the steering wheel.
Now you have seven “steps” in the transmission. The car will now select the best ratio from the seven steps like in a normal automatic transmission car.

But now come the fun part: On the steering wheel there are two handles/padles like on a Formula One car where you can manually select the “step” in the transmission you want. The right padle for changing up and the left for down. You now have full controll over the transmission. But it is foolproof too. You can not redline the enging (revving it to much), then the transmission will change gear for you.
I use this manual mode for engine braking down steep hills.
The CVT system actuallu have some degree of engine braking in normal D or S mode, but that is a bit weak for the steepest hills.

Conclution: the CVT system give a much higher comfortable driving first of all because you never feel the jerking between the gears like in normal AT/MT cars.
And since it is variable the motor sound is at the same level almost all the time.

I also have to mention that I drive a Toyota Yaris Verso MT in my work daily, but it is no problem for me to switch between the two cars. That was my biggest consern getting a AT/CVT vs a MT car

guest386

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »
Fonix, that was very informative. Thanks.

I have just ordered a new SE with CVT for delivery in September, so I’ll post my impressions in a few week’s time.

Incidentally, the dealer says that the car will be Chinese-built so I’ll be able to comment on that as well.

guest436

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 09:33:12 AM »
[quote:3lyp8z6a]As an aiside, when I was a student, one of my colleagues owns a DAF 66 with “Variomatic” box (CVT). I remember it only did about 65mph flat out but that it could do the same speed in reverse…. scary[/quote]

My uncle had one of those.

Wasn’t this the car which eventually gave way to the Volvo 340? Come to think of it, wasnt the 340 originally a DAF design anyway?

Comical Engineer

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 10:33:12 AM »
Yes, the Volvo 340 was a direct descendant of the DAF 66. Volvo made it heavier, safer and more comfortable. My old prof at Nottingham had one and gave us a ride down to Stevenage in it. I remember that the seats were comfortable but the car rolled a lot on the bends. The Volvo engine was very robust and good for 200k miles if looked after - probable 100k more than the DAF transmission…

You could get them in 1.6 or 2.0 litre sizes. The 2.0 was pretty nippy but heavy on fuel, especially with the CVT. Ford also do a variomatic on the Fiesta (and also the CMAX for sure) but using metal drive belts instead of the rummer ones on the DAF.

The Honda CVT is a direct descendant of these.

CVT is, of course heavier on fuel than a stick shift:

From New Car Net:

If there is a downside to two-pedal motoring, CVT-style, it is in the fuel consumption. Returning 39.8 mpg on the urban cycle, the CVT C-MAX uses about 10 per cent more fuel than its stick-box equivalent. This differential virtually doubles on the extra-urban cycle, where the 57.6 mpg of the two-pedal car is more than 11 mpg adrift of its manual mate. In combined mode, the difference reduces to an exact eight miles per gallon - 49.6 and 57.6 mpg for the CVT and manual car, respectively.

guest287

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 04:44:43 AM »
Greetings from South East Aisa!

I’ve just bought my first Jazz. A 1.5 I-DSI Auto with CVT. The Gearbox is sweet as a nut! My friend has the City with the same set up on a VTEC motor and it is great also. We don’t bother much with the wheel mounted shifters but the auto is spot on as it is in Drive. Sport mode is never used. Don’t drive to fast over here.

I don’t think you have the 1.5 in the UK but mines the 88bhp model her’s the 110 Vtec. Both suit the box well.

Hope that helps.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 07:12:34 PM »
We have driven Jazz CVT’s since 2002, the first car a SE Sport did 40k miles in 3 years v economical urban 48mpg, B roads 50 mpg and trying for economy 58mpg.
The changes between gears cannot be felt by driver passenger ( as good as Mercedes ) the only downside brake pads front last around 18k.Usable space better than my Subaru Legacy estate with the Magic seats.
Would we have another Yes we now have 2 SE CVT’s
The 2006 model year far better ride than the 2002 model
When you need to change tyres try Michelin Energy 185×55x15 H speed rating - superb grip and far better ride over rough roads than original Bridgestones.

The new model 2008 Jazz 1.4 litre has a revised gear ratios with potentional economy of 55mpg.

Comical Engineer

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 12:22:33 PM »
Just had a 2007 Jazz CVT as a courtesy car. The change is very smooth but the take up from a standstill can be a bit abrupt unless you are very gently with the throttle. The brakes are also rather too light on the pedal for my tastes (compated to Mrs CE’s 53 model manual).

MPG was showing about 50 over 40 miles that I did in the car. Liked the high gearing. Didn’t like the flappy paddles. They strike me as a gimmick.

Tags:

anything