Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 695224 times)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #900 on: May 02, 2018, 09:20:44 AM »
You have totally grabbed the wrong end of the stick. What I am saying is Tesla has shown that an EV does not have to be a slow "milk float" with a 40 mile range. It is down to Tesla that cars like the Jaguar I-PACE have come along, instead of a stream of TWIZY lookalikes. Tesla has forced the likes of Mercedes Benz and VAG to take EVs seriously.
I'm not completely disagreeing with you ! Just putting a slightly different point of view about the topic (which is what a discussion should be all about). The bottom line - which applies to the other companies you mention as well as Tesla - is that:
... having a good product is not enough: they, and any successor companies, have to meet their promises of delivery or else the fickle customers will simply go elsewhere.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #901 on: May 02, 2018, 09:53:44 AM »
They have driven expectations of what an electric car can deliver.
That's a debatable point. They have hyped customer expectations through slick PR but been unable to deliver on those promises, and that's what's creating the doom & gloom. I hope they survive too because - if the hype is even halfway correct - the products do seem to be promising. But having a good product is not enough: they, and any successor companies, have to meet their promises of delivery or else the fickle customers will simply go elsewhere. I might rephrase your comment to "They have driven expectations of what a car company can't deliver."

Tesla quality has a long way to go, up until now they have been supported by EV evangelists and rich people who wanted a new toy to play with. Their foray into mainstream 'affordable' EV has been a disaster so far, and could well bring down the company. No company on earth can burn a billion dollars a quarter and hope to survive, hype will not save the company any more when they are not delivering quality cars (or not even delivering cars).   They have more and more competitors coming on stream, well respected and established companies like VW, Mercedes, Volvo and jaguar who are building products that the wheels don't fall off and General build quality is very high.  I am afraid Teslas time is passed, you will find examples in years to come in museums. Nice try Mr Musk, better luck with your rockets.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 12:21:22 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #902 on: May 02, 2018, 09:27:59 PM »
Tesla has just announced another humongous loss for Q1 of 2018. Not looking good for them at all.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #903 on: May 05, 2018, 10:02:07 PM »
Say what you like about it, impractical though it is, but this is an AMAZING piece of engineering.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #904 on: May 09, 2018, 07:06:53 AM »
For those of you waiting on the big players getting in on the action, Mercedes Benz will be releasing this next year. Unveiling in September this year.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #906 on: May 20, 2018, 02:24:39 PM »
Interesting, free, book to be found here.
http://www.jeffvehicles.com/free-book

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #907 on: June 08, 2018, 10:12:49 PM »
The new Jaguar I-PACE looks the dog's doodahs. An expensive motor, but very desirable. They seem to have got the package just right.
I watched a segment on Formula E on the BBC News tonight, and they were saying how the lessons learned from the race car has driven development of the road car. Just as has happened during the first 120 years of motor racing.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #908 on: June 13, 2018, 06:43:22 AM »
Tesla announced a 9% reduction in salaried employees. About 3,000 jobs to go. Elon Musk is having to realise the world of "real" economics.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #909 on: June 13, 2018, 04:17:55 PM »
He needs a lot more cash...so this is  - I suspect - the prelude to another fund raising..Still only producing 60% of his forecast 5,000 a week...

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #910 on: June 13, 2018, 05:34:17 PM »
Build quality of model 3 ( well every Tesla really) is really bad, the honeymoon is over and now too many competitors producing quality cars for anyone to buy a Tesla that is not well built.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #911 on: June 13, 2018, 05:39:06 PM »
Build quality of model 3 ( well every Tesla really) is really bad, the honeymoon is over and now too many competitors producing quality cars for anyone to buy a Tesla that is not well built.

Interesting the build quality thing. On YouTube there is a couple called James and Kate. Early adopters and they now have a Tesla model S having started with a 24 kwh Nissan Leaf. They have done tests on the new Nissan Leaf and James indicated he might even prefer it to his Tesla. Build quality on Teslas does seem to be an issue.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #912 on: June 29, 2018, 10:38:21 AM »
Buyers still not too impressed by EV, their sales are dropping year on year while PHEV are rising (mainly I feel due to company car effect, where users get better tax incentives and can go into congestion charging zones,  but many users never charge the battery and lug the 500Kg+ deadweight around, but who cares because your company is paying the fuel costs anyway LOL).

https://www.racfoundation.org/media-centre/pure-ev-sales-in-reverse

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #913 on: June 29, 2018, 11:22:03 AM »
A lot probably to do with the fact that the Nissan Leaf, the best selling BEV here in the UK was being updated, and they are on a long back order. The VW e-Golf is similar.
BP have just bought Chargemaster, the UK's largest provider of charging, and intends installing rapid chargers in all 1200 filling stations.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #914 on: June 30, 2018, 09:32:38 PM »
This report https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44575399 won't help the sales of EVs.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: