Author Topic: Was it a mistake for Honda to use the term e-CVT?  (Read 3706 times)

sportse

• Approved Member
Re: Was it a mistake for Honda to use the term e-CVT?
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2021, 08:03:15 AM »
It could be the MY20 and 21 cars get the same tweaks when next serviced hopefully.

On many cars the dealer updates the software during service now.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2021, 08:50:27 AM »
Ah, no, I was told that the tweaks are for MY22 only, not retrospective.
Let's be careful out there !

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2021, 09:22:56 AM »
All Mk4 Jazz have the pseudo gear shifting, it only occurs when revs are held high e.g during fairly hard acceleration.

Will most likely depend on conditions eg. battery charge level etc.

My CRV eHEV does not have it and it revs higher for longer and then sounds more like a traditional CVT, that elastic band sound of sliding revs.

Jazz eHEV definitely sounds more like an AT shifting, but without any noticeable jolts just in sound.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2021, 09:33:37 AM »
I presume that the pseudo gear changes are purely to make the transmission sound like a traditional auto box. Honda must have worried about people being deterred by a CVT tranny.
Neil Ives

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2021, 09:35:16 AM »
I think it was a mistake to use the term CVT. I had a bad experience with a Nissan Juke CVT and had I not researched the transmission of the Jazz before I went to buy one it would have put me off.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2021, 10:11:16 AM »
I remember those horrid little DAF cars that had a CVT transmission.

Here you hit the pride of this Dutchman full in the face!!!

Sorry about that. I never drove one; they may have been good cars, after all, Volvo carried on using the variomatic transmission when they bought the company.
I never drove one either, but have 2 amusing tales to tell.
When i worked for Shell one of my customers let his teenage son drive a DAF into the workshop for a service. he pushed the gear lever the wrong way and dropped it into the inspection pit. ( The gear lever had 3 positions. forwards, neutral, backwards)
The other, in a large ground (as opposed to multi-storey) car park, an elderly lady put it in reverse by mistake and hit the throttle hard. she then froze with fear and ricocheted of 7 cars in the car park. damaging all badly and writing off her poor little DAF!
The other problem was that in really heavy rain the rubber belt tended to slip on the pulleys. They were quite popular and competed with the 2CV. Finally the mechanics of the CVT just wasn't good enough and the fizzled out.
DAF make great trucks though!!!
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2021, 11:05:42 AM »
My only Daf story was my cousin.

He got married and the guests covered his with confetti. On his way to the hotel, a few hundred miles away, the confetti got into the air cooling ducts and they saw a piston fly through the bonnet as it overheated and he had no indication.

They were air cooled.
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2021, 11:20:26 AM »
So some owners are  not experiencing it at all  during their normal driving, and others relating the relatively infrequent circumstances  when it might , and sometimes might not, happen.  What does this say about  motoring journalists who mention the noise?

For undecided prospective buyers.  The engine noise is not  that bad when it does happen . No worse than many cars make all the time. It may be more noticeable because of its absence most of the time.

A car that's remarkably quiet and refined 95% of the time at the cost of  normal car noise levels  5% of the time is a fair trade off  IMO.  Especially as you get great fuel consumption and  instant torque from 0 mph.

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2021, 11:26:17 AM »
My only Daf experience was seeing a Daf Dafodil parked under the Atomium in Brussels  as a new car sales promotion.

I though it looked great  , but then I was only about 8 years old. The atonium was impressive as well.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2021, 11:42:05 AM »
Dutch hobby: racing backwards... only DAF with variomatic.
If nothing goes right, go left!

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2021, 01:13:19 PM »
What's in a name...
The Honda specifications sheet says it uses an E-CVT type automatic transmission, but that’s a misnomer, albeit an intentional one because it’s a lot easier to explain to customers that the car uses an electric-type CVT rather than saying that it has no transmission.

There is nothing unusual with this arrangement. All Toyota hybrids with transverse engines use E-CVT, which is not a CVT at all, but a planetary gear set that replicates a CVT’s infinite ratio function.

So if it were a mistake for Honda, the same should be true for all Toyota hybrids, right?
Why then do these Toyota's sell so well, with an e-CVT (which has no resemblance at all to a conventional CVT)?
No.
CVT means Continuosly Variable Transmission, this means that there are infinite  ratios between a power source (in our case the petrol engine) and an user, in this case, wheels. It doesnt matter if you obtain this feature using a belt (like most automotive CVTs) or if you use fluids (see the Honda DN01) or electrons (I-MMD system) to transfer the power.
The misunderstanding comes from the fact that belt driven technology has been mainly used in cars with a cvt transmission so now people believe that in a cvt they will always find a belt.  but, mechanically speaking, every kind of transmission able to continuously vary the ratio between source and user must be called cvt, even if it works with electric generators and motors or hydraulic pumps and rotors.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 01:16:32 PM by jazzaro »

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2021, 01:14:02 PM »
For what it’s worth I can definitely hear the pseudo gear changes on my Crosstar. Normal steady driving you don’t hear it all, push the accelerator a bit further and then you hear the gear changes. Go further and then the engine really revs and it is this that all the road testers seem to complain about.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2021, 01:39:08 PM »
When you use the accelerator as an on/off switch it gets very noisy indeed... With or without CVT, but try to make these testers understand something so extremely difficult...
If nothing goes right, go left!

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2021, 07:00:02 AM »
yes for all the reasons stated earlier

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2021, 12:27:51 PM »
Racing a Daf backwards is a Fad  (Daf backwards  ;D)  . 

Does this mean that with  our electric driven reverse   it can be driven at the same speed backwards as forwards ?
If so its a pity you cant do handbrake turns with an electric handbrake!   >:(

Tags: