Author Topic: Was it a mistake for Honda to use the term e-CVT?  (Read 3832 times)

Jayt43

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
Was it a mistake for Honda to use the term e-CVT?
« on: October 28, 2021, 09:59:43 AM »
On many forums I read, drivers are quite vocal in ruling out buying a Honda if the range is "CVT only".

Obviously there's a lack of understanding on how the 2 motor system works.

But why didn't they simply refer to it as Honda Hybrid Drive or something similar?

I've now had my Crosstar for 12 hours and loving it already. A perfect town/city car which, IMHO, is every bit as good as  regular torque converter AT, or even dual-clutch AT.

I just feel Honda's marketing department dropped the ball on this one, especially as the same system is being used for HR-V and CR-V too!

What do you guys think?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Was it a mistake for Honda to use the term e-CVT?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 10:28:36 AM »
CVT transmissions get a bad rap in most motoring journals (although I found mine in the Mk3 very useful for town driving) so I tend to agree. Given it is not a CVT in the conventional sense it might have been better to drop the term.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 10:35:05 AM »
Yes Honda Hybrid Drive or HHD would have been a far better name.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 10:57:34 AM »
What's in a name...
The Honda specifications sheet says it uses an E-CVT type automatic transmission, but that’s a misnomer, albeit an intentional one because it’s a lot easier to explain to customers that the car uses an electric-type CVT rather than saying that it has no transmission.

There is nothing unusual with this arrangement. All Toyota hybrids with transverse engines use E-CVT, which is not a CVT at all, but a planetary gear set that replicates a CVT’s infinite ratio function.

So if it were a mistake for Honda, the same should be true for all Toyota hybrids, right?
Why then do these Toyota's sell so well, with an e-CVT (which has no resemblance at all to a conventional CVT)?
If nothing goes right, go left!

guest4871

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 11:19:43 AM »
Yes!

Jayt43

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 01:23:52 PM »
but that’s a misnomer, albeit an intentional one because it’s a lot easier to explain to customers that the car uses an electric-type CVT rather than saying that it has no transmission.

Well, the Jazz has magic seats, why not magic drive ;-) No need to explain, just say "trust us, we're Honda. We gave you V-TEC"....

Although I do see your point :-)

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 02:52:21 PM »
At fear of getting crucified by ZZJA again, :'(
As an experience CVT owner. I would agree. Most reviewers say it has a CVT gearbox which is a total misnomer as it is NOT a gearbox. It is a lock up clutch. The engine has no way of changing gear ratios, it is simply locked directly to the transmission and thence to the driven wheels and the noise is caused by it simply revving (eventually) to it rev limit.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 03:43:53 PM »
Yes a mistake.  Many drivers dont like the strange mismatch in engine speed and road speed found on conventional CVT systems. To the extent that some may never buy one again.  The name alone  wont help sales. The new system is sufficiently different they need not mention CVT .

Hybrids do occasionally need to run the ICE faster than  expected for the road speed  but the new system makes it much less noticeable by varying engine speeds to simulate gear changes. 

Proving Honda knew CVT characteristics can be unpopular yet chose to continue the name.   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2021, 04:00:38 PM »
At fear of getting crucified by ZZJA again, :'(
As an experience CVT owner. I would agree. Most reviewers say it has a CVT gearbox which is a total misnomer as it is NOT a gearbox. It is a lock up clutch. The engine has no way of changing gear ratios, it is simply locked directly to the transmission and thence to the driven wheels and the noise is caused by it simply revving (eventually) to it rev limit.
Not quite correct.
The engine is only locked directly to the transmission, during cruising or low power conditions.(above circa 45mph)
If max power is required, maybe to overtake another car or whatever, then the lock drops out and the transmission reverts to petrol/electric operation. whereby the engine does need to rev, generate the required energy to power the drive motor.
I believe this is what the so called experts journalists are concerned about.
However in my view that noise is far less than a conventional CVT gearbox and without doubt the MK4 Jazz is the best Jazz yet. 

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2021, 04:08:17 PM »
I was fortunate because I'd read the many owner reviews on Civinfo about the Civic 10G CVT They all praised it so the latest Jazz with what I guessed was a similar setup didn't put me off.

They all highlighted that Honda had engineered a CVT that didn't 'scream' but performed very similar to a conventional auto with subtle gear changes.

What puzzles me is that I've read that the Mk4 Jazz has similar controlled pseudo gear changes but I've never noticed them on mine. Mine seems to be one smooth gear.
Let's be careful out there !

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2021, 04:37:31 PM »
I can definitely detect the 'gear changes'.  Apart from ar full throttle, its a brilliant system, that's extremely refined 99pct of the time.   ;D

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2021, 04:46:45 PM »
On many forums I read, drivers are quite vocal in ruling out buying a Honda if the range is "CVT only".

Obviously there's a lack of understanding on how the 2 motor system works.

But why didn't they simply refer to it as Honda Hybrid Drive or something similar?

I've now had my Crosstar for 12 hours and loving it already. A perfect town/city car which, IMHO, is every bit as good as  regular torque converter AT, or even dual-clutch AT.

I just feel Honda's marketing department dropped the ball on this one, especially as the same system is being used for HR-V and CR-V too!

What do you guys think?

I'm not sure that Honda themselves actually use the term "e-CVT" do they? The only place I see that is in magazine reviews and other secondary sources where the author may well have invented the term because they can't get their head around how the hybrid system works. For example ...
https://www.parkers.co.uk/honda/jazz/hatchback-2020/15-i-mmd-hybrid-sr-ecvt-auto-5d/specs/
Honda themselves, on the Jazz website, use the term "e:HEV"...
https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/jazz-hybrid/overview.html
Can't see any mention of "CVT" in there anywhere.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2021, 05:00:33 PM »

What puzzles me is that I've read that the Mk4 Jazz has similar controlled pseudo gear changes but I've never noticed them on mine. Mine seems to be one smooth gear.

I notice it most when doing a fairly long sustained acceleration from low speed to high speed such as when joining a motorway. Not so much when it cuts in for hill climbing .     You can  hear it in action when reviewers do a 0-62 acceleration run.  You may not hear it at all if you keep your acceleration  gentle  and less than 80%.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 05:04:03 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2021, 05:01:18 PM »

It only SEEMS to be one smooth gear. But only if you don't dare to push your accelerator down properly. And I don't mean "pedal to the metal"...
But when you quickly merge onto a motorway, you should notice the "gear changes"...
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2021, 05:07:51 PM »
That's probably it then.

I have a light right foot and accelerate slowly and smoothly along the on ramp so I can blend in when joining motorways.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags:

anything