Author Topic: Washing with a Pressure Washer.  (Read 8228 times)

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
Re: Washing with a Pressure Washer.
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2020, 11:37:11 AM »
I just use a cheapy microfibre mitt and a bucket of water.  The mitt is pretty heavy when wet so might not be great for someone suffering muscle etc issues.

Honda dealer told me I should get in behind the brake calipers with a jet wash to keep them from sticking.  I've asked other's opinions and some think it's OK and others that it's a terrible idea.  I think the latter so don't do it.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2020, 12:23:21 PM »
I steer clear of the brakes. I have heard stories, right or wrong, of flexible hoses being punctured by pressure washers.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2020, 12:35:04 PM »
Honda dealer told me I should get in behind the brake calipers with a jet wash to keep them from sticking.  I've asked other's opinions and some think it's OK and others that it's a terrible idea.  I think the latter so don't do it.

Most domestic PW put out 1600 to 2000 PSI,  that can take paint off,  and force water past seals, could even damage the flexible brake hoses...... 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Happyarry

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2020, 03:00:21 PM »
I too am old :( and still do a bit of detailing as I love the end result.
I can't use a machine polisher anymore my arms an Arthritis prevent me.

The quickest and easiest wash I found is to thoroughly spray the car all over using a  pump spray bottle filled with a mix of Optimum no rinse.
Using a bucket of water with the same solution and microfibre cloths, simply wipe the car all over with well wetted cloths, changing the sides frequently as you go then dry with a MF cloth or drying towel.
On the Jazz the whole wash takes 20 mins or 30 at leisure.

If you wish, use a spray wax or detail spray for a more glossy finish and to add some protection.

This method is particularly suited to anyone who can't get running water to the car and it keeps swirl marks to a minimum.

Harry

I have used almost exactly this method from time to time. First time I used ONR on a dusty car the initial grabby sandpaper like feel spooked me out. I then started to use the pre spray method and what a difference. I am reasonably satisfied, both from my own experience and watching endless You Tube videos, that this is a very safe way to clean the car. If it was caked in mud I would hose/jet wash the worst off first but the urban life my car leads means this is a rarity.

I've got ONR wash and wax at the moment but, on balance, I think I prefer the wash and shine.

I have found if you choose a cool day and spray the whole car well with ONR then let it dwell at least a couple of minutes, you loose that scratchy (scary) sand paper effect.
I always use the blue ONR wash and shine, haven't tried the wax one. I like to use Sonax BSD afterwards and /or Infinity wax Detailing spray to get a nice slick gloss.
I never go more than 2 weeks between washes and do the inside and engine bay too, I'm a bit sad that way. 8)

Harry

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2020, 03:05:20 PM »
The pressure washer that I have used and own recommends that the highest pressure is not used for car cleaning. My washer, a Karcher, has three lances with different pressures available. The lowest is for applying the washing liquid, the second is for car washing and the like and the third, the highest pressure, is for driveways etc.. I wash the wheels and therefore the brakes with the car lance and have had no problems. The thing I do not pressure wash is the door mirror glasses as I don't want to force water into the electrics behind the glass.

Vic.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 03:51:07 PM by VicW »

Happyarry

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2020, 03:40:29 PM »
The pressure washer that I have used and own recommend that the highest pressure is not used for car cleaning. My washer, a Karcher, has three lances with different pressures available. The lowest is for applying the washing liquid, the second is for car washing and the like and third, the highest pressure, is for driveways etc.. I wash the wheels and therefore the brakes with the car lance and have had no problems. The thing I do not pressure wash is the door mirror glasses as I don't want to force water into the electrics behind the glass.

Vic.

Hi Vic
Most all of the professional detailers use pressure washers and as you say used correctly at the right pressure they are safe and  can be used for Snow foaming, applying product or rinsing. The reason I don't use one is that I don't have a water tap close to where I park the car and find the ONR method the next best option.

Harry

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2020, 06:29:36 PM »
I bought one of these Aldi battery pressure washers https://www.aldi.co.uk/ferrex-18v-cordless-pressure-washer/p/010743399898701 which does a fairly good job without the risk of causing damage or having to get out electric cables and hoses. That said, the vehicle was cleaned inside and out when it went to the dealers to have the telemetry switched on so I should take the opportunity to give the car a coat of polish while it's still clean.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2020, 04:49:16 AM »
Pressure washers and cars do work well, but as said above, use the correct 'spray' lance and not too close.
Let's be careful out there !

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2020, 10:25:16 AM »
I bought one of these Aldi battery pressure washers https://www.aldi.co.uk/ferrex-18v-cordless-pressure-washer/p/010743399898701 which does a fairly good job without the risk of causing damage or having to get out electric cables and hoses. That said, the vehicle was cleaned inside and out when it went to the dealers to have the telemetry switched on so I should take the opportunity to give the car a coat of polish while it's still clean.

John - do you just put the water feed from this into a bucket? Sounds like a must have - thanks for sharing.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2020, 10:24:09 PM »
John - do you just put the water feed from this into a bucket? Sounds like a must have - thanks for sharing.
Yes, it sucks from a bucket which provides several minutes of spraying. The box includes a folding bucket but a big plastic bucket is more convenient.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags:

anything