Author Topic: Sat Nav 1.3EX (GK38)  (Read 1587 times)

mark400

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 EX CVT 2016
Sat Nav 1.3EX (GK38)
« on: January 29, 2020, 04:49:41 PM »
Hello there,

I am intending to buy and fit the Jazz SatNav header unit (Honda Genuine part) as mine doesn't have Sat Nav.

Do I need any other parts in order to install and get it working ?
Is it coded to the car, or does it need a code to unlock if the power supply (and possibly an internal battery) dries up ? 

I have read that the Non Sat Nav EX comes with the GPS Sensor installed already, any feedback would be most welcome !

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=9641.0 - Link to GPS thread

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
Re: Sat Nav 1.3EX (GK38)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 07:58:13 PM »
If you have an old firmware, same or earlier than RC6.1, you can install a free navi app as sygic or copilot.
See CMdroid..

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 11:36:39 PM »
Hello there,

I am intending to buy and fit the Jazz SatNav header unit (Honda Genuine part) as mine doesn't have Sat Nav.

I am surprised that is a worthwhile exercise. Do you mind telling how much the unit costs?

mark400

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 EX CVT 2016
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 09:19:48 AM »
@Mikebore,
I was given it !

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 09:23:30 AM »
@Mikebore,
I was given it !

Your opening post says you were going to buy it. :)

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 10:00:22 AM »
As far as I am aware the headunits are coded to the car’s ecu. It is this arrangement which validates the unit following battery disconnection rather than having to enter a numerical security code. 

It therefore seems unlikely that the unit will work in another vehicle without its matching ecu. Even then there can be no guarantee that it would work as there may be other security features involved.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 10:06:25 PM »
My headunit was changed after the previous owner couldn't remember the security code, and Honda couldn't reset the security code. So a compatible unit can be fitted but it may be a main dealer job? Or ask a main dealer first?

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 10:03:02 AM »
It therefore seems unlikely that the unit will work in another vehicle without its matching ecu. Even then there can be no guarantee that it would work as there may be other security features involved.
My headunit was changed ... So a compatible unit can be fitted but it may be a main dealer job?

In my first year of ownership I had a lot of trouble with the infotainment unit (see this for the gory details: https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=7624.0). One of the things the dealer tried was to replace the head unit, so it is definitely possible to fit a new one although may not be a DIY job in order to get the right code into the ECU.

Rickb

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda jazz 2016 ex navi cvt
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 12:24:02 AM »
The satnav on Honda jazz 2016 I assume does not need a code as I had occasion to disconnect battery to clear a fault code, initially it asked for a code and displayed a number pad but I didn’t have the code but after driving a couple of miles it eventually reset itself. On  replacing head unit they are different as they encompass a larger onboard memory a but both have facility for gps antenna to my knowledge, as an earlier guest pointed out Sygic is a free android app that in my view is every bit as good as the factory garmin and can be installed on non satnav units.

Tags: