Author Topic: Front bumper paint damage. Repair or replace?  (Read 2304 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Front bumper paint damage. Repair or replace?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2020, 08:03:43 PM »
WBAC will pitch it at a price that guarantees a profit at auction after their costs are covered. Most of these car supermarkets and main dealers aren't interesting in retailing stuff over 3 years old unless it's exceptional, so lots of it goes to auction - a profit is a profit, if they can get the cars cheap enough.

The other thing to bear in mind is that a GD Jazz with original cat will scrap over £300 with a little work. Last time I was at auction, even tatty stuff was fetching a lot more than that, auction buyers seem to love them - especially CVTs with a decent MOT.

Beaver

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2020, 09:15:52 PM »
My local scrap yard will pay £30 if you deliver the car to them.   If they collect it from you, they do you a favour by not charging you for that.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2020, 10:11:07 PM »
My local scrap yard will pay £30 if you deliver the car to them.   If they collect it from you, they do you a favour by not charging you for that.

If that's all they pay for a Jazz, they're onto a winner.

My local is currently paying £60/tonne for cars with engine, and £5-£8 for alloy rims, prices are pretty low. The bulk of the money is in the cat, if you cut it off and take it to the right place. Cat prices have gone through the roof.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 10:16:03 PM by sparky Paul »

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2020, 08:04:57 AM »
Makes me wonder how easy it is to put a car in to auction.

As to the original question I suspect it's worth fixing and that replacing rather than repainting is the easier option.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2020, 10:32:29 AM »
Makes me wonder how easy it is to put a car in to auction.

Not difficult, auction local to me even have their own transporters and will come and collect your car. Some cars go through cheaper than you would expect, but buyers have factor in the risk. Some stuff makes silly money, and Jazzes do seem to attract bidding. Paperwork helps, especially a long MOT.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 10:49:37 AM by sparky Paul »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2020, 03:59:45 PM »
Dinged all the emails from WeBuyAnyCar and today they upped their offer from £50 to £405. Must have had enquires for the Jazz!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2020, 11:18:10 PM »
Dinged all the emails from WeBuyAnyCar and today they upped their offer from £50 to £405. Must have had enquires for the Jazz!
Just testing you, see if you rushed in for your 50 quid!

Waue1978

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz GD1 CVT
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2020, 10:26:50 AM »
Sounds like a very high offer from Webuyanycar for an older vehicle. I would suggest that unless your car is in pristine showroom condition, that figure will reduce drastically once they've marked down every single mark on the car.
Not many people know this, but Webuyanycar stock all gets sold through BCA car auctions so prices are never going to be great unless it's newer stock that they know has a high demand.
As far as the bumper repair goes, if the car is going anyway, sell private as is with a bit of a reduction (Autotrader priced £100 less than other Jazz under 100k within 50miles). You'll likely not recover any money spent replacing bumper, a home spray repair job may make buyers suspicious (as it will be nigh on impossible to hide) & the ice blue paint seems to be notoriously crap on these anyway.

Tags:

anything