Author Topic: Giving 97 Octane a try.  (Read 6084 times)

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
Giving 97 Octane a try.
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2019, 01:41:26 PM »
As mentioned before, I use Shell V-Power and always finds it more powerful on my 09 i-shift. ....
Here the same with our i-shift — that is, more power or more mpg.;)

As we live in the south east of the Netherlands i fill the tank in Belgium with Shell V-Power (98) or in Germany with Aral SuperPlus (98) = BP.
Both these fuels are €0.10/€0.15 per liter cheaper than the normal Euro95 fuel in the Netherlands.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Giving 97 Octane a try.
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2019, 04:45:04 PM »
Well that is 10 tankfuls of 97 octane used up so I decided to revert back to 95 octane.
For the 10 tankfuls I averaged 61.4 mpg as my Fuelly page shows.

I did not notice any deterioration in performance today, though the ScanGauge was showing slightly poorer mpg, however, that may have been more to do with the slightly damp start to my journey and the gale force winds (Forth Road Bridge closed to double deckers).
I know that the mpg is going to drop over the next few tankfuls irrespective of whether I put 95 or 97 in. It has already started to drop over the last two tanks, with the onset of the colder, autumnal weather.
I will certainly update this thread as I go on.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2019, 08:34:29 AM »
Worked out my cost per mile for my last tank of 97 octane refilled with 97 octane, and it equated to 9.84p/mile. Once I do my second top up I will see what it costs using 95 octane.
Hopefully I will be able to work out the ratio and compare that to the ratio in price per litre.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2019, 02:13:18 PM »
Did my first top up after a tankful of 95 octane and the cost worked out at 9.38p/mile, so not a lot in it. Over 12,000 miles it is only about £55 difference from using supermarket 97 octane, the 95 octane working out cheaper.
The jury is still out over whether I have noticed a drop in performance since reverting back to 95 octane. I would say yes, but there is a marked drop in the temperature since changing back and whereas I was normally running two up I am now carrying a second passenger, and another body in a 1.2 litre car does make a difference.
So 97 octane or 95 octane? I would say you pays your money and takes your choice.

Tags: