Author Topic: Honda FRV - Rattling Sound Over Rough Roads  (Read 2481 times)

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
Honda FRV - Rattling Sound Over Rough Roads
« on: May 29, 2023, 12:03:28 AM »
I have a 2007 Honda FRV with 62k miles and I've been trying to find out the cause of a noise that has been bugging me for some time now.

Whenever I go over slightly rough roads, there seems to be some sort of rattling sound coming from under the car, towards the front of the car. It's almost like something metallic is loose and tapping the chassis. Strangely, I don't seem to get the noise when I hit a pothole, although the car does feel a bit "crashy".

I've had the car checked by a local mechanic who couldn't see anything wrong with it so I changed a few parts myself in the hope that it would help or at least eliminate the possible causes. I've changed the shocks, shock mounts, bump stops, drop links, and ball joints, and have checked the anti-roll bar. When I had the clutch changed, the subframe had to be removed. One garage said it could be the subframe but the mechanic who did the clutch said that it can't be the subframe as you can't actually install it incorrectly. I went ahead and tightened the subframe nuts anyway but couldn't see anything wrong with it.

The only other thing I can think of is the lower control arm bushings, although they seem to be fine to me. My local mechanic thought the same.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what it might be?

I wanted to take it to Honda to investigate the issue but they wanted almost £100 just to diagnose the issue which seems a bit steep and there is no guarantee they would find the issue.

Does anyone know of any good experienced garages/mechanics in North London that can help with something like this?

Many thanks! :)

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
Re: Honda FRV - Rattling Sound Over Rough Roads
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 11:04:16 AM »
I had a CRV that made a similar notice, mostly turning when using the works multi storey car park or on damaged tarmac. It turned out to be a worn ball joint, which if I remember correctly was part of section of metal they replaced completely which resolved it.
Can't help you with the garage as not in London.

SuperCNJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 04:41:54 PM »
I had a CRV that made a similar notice, mostly turning when using the works multi storey car park or on damaged tarmac. It turned out to be a worn ball joint, which if I remember correctly was part of section of metal they replaced completely which resolved it.
Can't help you with the garage as not in London.

Thanks. I did originally think it might be the ball joint, which was actually worn on one side but after having both changed, it didn't get rid of the noise. The best way I can describe the noise is, it's like the subframe is loose, and when going over slightly rough roads, it would rattle. But having checked it and pried it with a metal bar, it is solid. Really have no idea what it is but it's really annoying.

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2023, 05:47:38 PM »
Did you also check the exhaust and/or engine mounts?

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2023, 09:42:01 PM »
I suspect the anti-roll bar. Especially the flexible bushing(s):

If nothing goes right, go left!

SuperCNJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 01:34:59 AM »
Did you also check the exhaust and/or engine mounts?

I didn't check the exhaust mounts but I've had exhaust rattles on my previous cars before which tends to sound a bit more tinny whereas the sound I'm getting sounds like something more substantial, like the chassis or something. But still worth checking I guess. I'll take a look!

I tried to shake the engine and couldn't see any movement, the mounts look fine to my untrained eye. But wouldn't the noise from engine mounts occur at any time when the engine is under load/changing gear and not just on rough roads?

SuperCNJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2023, 01:41:29 AM »
I suspect the anti-roll bar. Especially the flexible bushing(s):

I had a look at the anti-roll bar but couldn't see anything wrong with it myself - although I'm no mechanic.

Here's a photo of it. Excuse the transmission fluid leak, that was a separate issue from the drive shaft seal.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2023, 06:46:41 AM »
When I  had a  knocking on my Yaris it turned out to be  a broken coil spring. A fracture near the end of the coil where its mostly hidden by  its seating . From my cursory glances under the car the bulk of the spring looked ok and doing its job. Apart  from some knocking on rough roads the car drove fine.  The mechanic wasn't fooled, as its apparently a  fairly common fault on the Yaris. (actually it was spotted on its MOT   :-[  .The only time it failed in 14 years)

The symptoms may not match, or you may have eliminated the possibility during the other dismantling work .

Just an idea to look into  - but unless a fracture is obvious once you look for it ,maybe with the car raised and the suspension no longer under load , I'd get  expert confirmation of the diagnosis before any expensive work  .
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 07:17:41 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

SuperCNJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2023, 04:44:44 PM »
Yeah, I did think about the springs as the ride does feel quite "crashy". But when I changed the shocks, I had a good look at the springs and they seemed fine. But thanks for the suggestion...

I think I've got to the point where I need an experienced mechanic who will investigate it for me.

The other thing is, I have never driven another FRV so I cannot be 100% sure it is not just a characteristic of the car. But having driven quite a few cars including many Hondas over the years, it just doesn't seem normal to me.

Tags:

anything