Author Topic: Insurance Question  (Read 1379 times)

Johnocyprus

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT, 2007 CRV EX, 2022 C125 SuperCub, 2003 Izzy
Insurance Question
« on: June 21, 2023, 07:20:05 PM »
I was knocked off my Honda motorcycle by a panel van yesterday who drove off without stopping. I’ve got the index number however it is recorded as uninsured on the insurance database. The bike is a write off and I have fully comp cover. I can’t identify the driver so I can’t see the Police being able to help.( I reported the RTA to the Police online ). My insurance company want to take my bike away to their “ centre” where it will be assessed.
It’s been 15 years since I had an accident and the last time an insurance assessor came to my home to inspect the damaged motorcycle.
Can I insist that the assessor comes to see the bike where it currently is, ie my home? They tell me that is not possible. I’m concerned that once the bike disappears into their “ system “ my rights and negotiating position re settlement may be diminished. I’m insured with Zurich but the claim is being dealt with by an accident management company.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Insurance Question
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 08:57:32 PM »
If you have the registration number then the police will contact the registered keeper to ask who was driving and if he doesn't know/won't say they will charge him with at least "failing to report". Same as they do for speeding. That is certainly the way it works here.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2023, 09:09:45 PM »
 :o Sorry to hear of the accident. Hope you're ok.

The insurer will want the salvage for inspection. I understand they often do this remotely with photographs from the body shop or what have you.

Most insurers will allow you to buy back the salvage, best speak to them.

NB Some catagories of total loss have to be scrapped, so you'll not be allowed the salvage

https://www.gov.uk/scrapped-and-written-off-vehicles/insurance-writeoffs

Johnocyprus

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 07:49:06 AM »
Many thanks for your replies. Yes I’m fine thanks just a few abrasions.  I need to know if I can insist on the assessor coming to my home to inspect rather than it disappearing into the “system” and me losing  any control; any opinions please?

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2023, 09:03:08 AM »
Pleased it was only scratches.

I'd be on the phone to them at 9am to ask. Some insurers can be very helpful, others less so. Let us know how you get on.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2023, 10:29:47 AM »
I doubt you can 'insist' where the inspection is carried out.  Inspection is often carried out by independent, self employed, engineers who may inspect several  other bikes on behalf of various insurers on the same  visit.  They will want it to be a neutral and suitable place,  not  subject to potential  undue influence from the bikes owner being present.

You may get them to agree before it goes that  you have first rights to salvage, if its written off  , which should improve the chances of getting the bike back,even if its not repaired.  Its then down to arguing the payment of the claim rather than the possession of the bike.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 10:35:08 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Johnocyprus

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2023, 05:27:03 PM »
Some very useful information given. Thanks again.

Tags: