Author Topic: Spare Tyre Stories  (Read 33110 times)

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Spare Tyre Stories
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2016, 05:07:23 PM »
Question.
Space saver rims/hubs all seam to be yellow/orange, is this a legal requirement or can I get my hub painted chrome/silver.
Any ideas guys!

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

guest1372

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2016, 05:34:27 PM »
Space saver rims/hubs all seam to be yellow/orange, is this a legal requirement
Also seen in black & red, so I doubt it. Just seems like a good idea to warn others you might not have great stopping / cornering.
--
TG

jazzeck

« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2016, 02:00:51 PM »
Regarding boot floor, here is my email to Honda Customer Services I promised to publish, just gone awaiting reply.
"I did visit my dealer for their view on the boot floor with a full size spare wheel installed.
They agreed it was a problem but as Honda only provide a space saver wheel with a support for the floor there is nothing they can do to help me.

I would like to firstly request you to supply me with an email address for Honda Customer Services at the headquarters in Japan. I do have a postal address but emails so much slicker.

The reason I want this communication with Honda’s Headquarters is because I just do not believe that senior Honda personnel would put out a car with such an astonishingly poor feature.
They would also be in my opinion alarmed about the extent of concern this feature is causing loyal, long term Honda owners.
The extent to which this subject is being discussed online would also be concerning to them.

I am attaching some excerpts from online forums that very loyal Honda owners use to showcase their cars, show modifications and generally be very proud to own a Honda. There are sections in one forum even talking about Honda powered lawn mowers, bikes, generators, is the feeling regarding owner pride in their Honda equipment becoming apparent?

I have installed a ply board cover with re-enforcements on top of my spare wheel, see first attachment  - my boot floor support.

Second attachment is a screen-shot from an online forum – clubjazzblock fix. Several blocks of wood used. Comment on other member regarding purchase of new car a bit worrying also

Third attachment is a word document with pictures of an MDF sub floor support which even makes a space for both the owner’s manual and the locking wheel nut. This is such a very well designed and made item that could be used as a template for production of a ‘proper’ moulded floor support.

I really do not think that Honda want cars running about with wooden made up pieces installed by owners to varying quality standards.
The image of a Honda car and the company itself is not best served by allowing this to happen.

I respectfully request you bring this to the attention of more senior personnel in Honda UK and Japan, I would appreciate email addresses for myself to address them directly."

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2016, 02:35:06 PM »
Just wanted to report my first day experience of the standard Honda space saver kit in my new today SE Mk3.

To my surprise and pleasure I have been able to fit tow rope, jump leads, electric compressor, fire extinguisher, biggish torch, first aid kit, red triangle, bulb kit, and many smaller things...under the floor leaving all the standard polystyrene blocks in place and with very little difficulty.

The boot floor is well supported.

The bigger items have fitted round the outside of the spare wheel without preventing the polystyrene holder from sitting down flush.

(I mostly carry a lot of this stuff around to help others rather myself, although I did leave the hazards on overnight once which flattened my my Mk 2 battery)

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2016, 09:45:00 AM »
Good info Mike, thanks for that.
I mostly carry a lot of this stuff around to help others rather myself
I will be sure to call on you if I get a flat  :D

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2016, 10:29:10 AM »
I agree that there's plenty of room to put things around the spare under the polystyrene cover.  The front part of the topside of the cover has various cavities in it that look as though they're designed for specific items, like the tool storage area.  However, I think it's more a case of designing it so that the structural integrity is not compromised.  I've been able to fit in the electric compressor and the handbook in the top, under the boot floor, as well as a camera and binoculars etc, so it's proving quite useful, as there's less storage in the Mk 3 cabin than in the Mk 2.

Tags: