Author Topic: Garmin Satnav & What 3 Words  (Read 1286 times)

Geoff_W

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Premium Crystal Red Metallic
Garmin Satnav & What 3 Words
« on: August 29, 2022, 04:32:28 PM »
For those of you who have never heard of What 3 Words, it's a grid-based system that uses 3 random words to identify every 3 metre square on the planet. When implemented into Satnav systems it provides extremely accurate destinations. Breakdown and Emergency services are increasingly using this system to locate people. I actually used the What 3 Words app on my phone yesterday to report a gas leak! The Cadent man was directed to the precise spot.

After all that preamble, I was wondering what chance there was that the Garmin Satnav system in our Jazz's might one day be upgraded to use this system, (but I'm not holding my breath).

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
Re: Garmin Satnav & What 3 Words
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 10:49:46 PM »
For those of you who have never heard of What 3 Words, it's a grid-based system that uses 3 random words to identify every 3 metre square on the planet.

Don't bother with it. It is proprietary and has many faults, one of which is that similar sounding words give completely different locations. Similarly, plurals. Nobody outside the company knows how it works, so you're dependent on their continued goodwill. Different languages have very different wordlists, too.

You also need to have their app or already be online. So does the person you're talking to.

And the eCall system already fitted in your car relays your GPS position to the emergency services automatically without your having to do anything. Any recent smartphone also does the same when you call 112 or 999.

I have a GPS app on my phone which reads out eight digit OS grid references which any cub scout or brownie can use with a paper map.

There are also plus codes. https://maps.google.com/pluscodes/

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 09:48:03 AM »
I have the what 3 words  app on my phone , as a back up, and it might prove useful in unusual situations.
But I cant really see that Garmin would agree to any integration  - unless they buy the company.   But  Garmin seem to be less interested in global positioning technology these days  - everyone and their dog can do it.

What 3 words seems quite  good for finding a precise location that is not obviously identifiable by a road or the address,such   as an obscure doorway on an industrial estate or somewhere rural.     (IIRC the Authorities in Mongolia  use 'what 3 words' as their official post code .- Is it racial stereotyping to say  it would be good for locating itinerant yurts on the steppes? )

Yes you can do the same with google maps etc using  map co ordinates, but if I  ever I need to call emergency services under stressful circumstances  (or simply direct couriers etc to my location)  it will be easier using 'just 3 words'  than having to relay a string of numbers.

When checking some of the squares on my driveway  and garden  I have found quite a few where the 3 words are quite amusing and appropriate.         I cant give examples of course as you could track me down and  silence me  permanently .  ;D
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 09:59:47 AM »
...The 'relevant' agencies are probably already aware of your precise loacation....at all times  :o ;D

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 10:49:29 AM »
I have used W3W quite few times to report dumped rental bikes and electric scooters (Beryl bikes) they always understand me and know exactly where the kit is.
I am a fan! (although I do realise the car will place me exactly if calling emergency services. not sure about my Samsung A5 (2017) Can anybody advise me regarding it's ability to locate me in an emergency? It does have GPS set to 'High Accuracy'.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Geoff_W

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Premium Crystal Red Metallic
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2022, 11:42:41 AM »
Interesting replies, thank you all - at least my post started a conversation.

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2022, 11:48:01 AM »

[/quote]
And the eCall system already fitted in your car relays your GPS position to the emergency services automatically without your having to do anything. Any recent smartphone also does the same when you call 112 or 999.
[/quote]

This didn't seem to happen when I recently had a heavy accident.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2022, 12:01:01 PM »

This didn't seem to happen when I recently had a heavy accident.
[/quote]

It's part of the requirements and specification of eCall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECall

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Mobile_Location

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2022, 02:16:17 PM »
My daughters friend had a fall and injured her leg while walking on the cost path in Devon.  One person in the party used W3W to give the location and a Coast Guard land rover had no difficulty in finding them.

Wivenhoe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2022, 09:11:20 PM »
Land Rover have recently provided an update to use W3W into their Sat Nav software so I doubt it cost them very much as they haven’t charged a subscription for it. I used it recently to drive to a particular car park in a very large hospital - worked very well.

That said, Honda must be the only manufacturer that doesn’t provide ‘live traffic’ in the UK. I know you can use your phone but an inbuilt Sat Nav should provide live traffic and also ‘safety camera’ locations like everyone else.

Bazzzer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX Navi
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2022, 09:18:25 PM »
I've just seen this and copied it from the FB page of the Keswick Mountain Rescue Team-

"An 83 year old woman collapsed in Crow Park. The informant gave the 999 call handler a What3Words location which was close to Hawes End. The team sent a Landrover first truck to the location only to find nobody. Further enquiries revealed the true location within walking distance of the base. Fortunately more team members had arrived at base and were able to respond quickly to this potentially serious medical incident. The casualty was assessed and stretchered back to base for further assessment and to await the arrival of an ambulance.
This is the second callout in 3 days (and there have been others) when the W3W location has been close enough to be believable but wrong enough to be useless. W3W should not be relied upon on its own. Always give a verbal description of where the casualty is and better still a grid reference from a map."

Pogglefish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda HR-V Adv. Style in Sand Khaki
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2022, 01:49:36 AM »
I’d give Mk4 Jazz’ Garnin system three words but I fear the ones I’d choose would  get me banned from this forum.

Fortunately the system is only necessary in places with no mobile reception.

-Pogglefish

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2022, 05:24:04 AM »
I agree

A SatNav with no traffic is chocolate teapot territory.

I asked previously but go no reply that I think the HRV SatNav has 'Internet Traffic' that works via a Skartphone. If so then surely the Jazz could be upgraded to do the same.

However, I'm now quite happy streaming Google Maps via Android Auto.

With regard to safety cameras, I use Speedtrap Alert which also streams to the headunit so it dulls the audio, issues the alert, then returns audio volume. STA uses the PGPSW database so is updated weekly.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags: