Author Topic: Autonomous vehicles.  (Read 53608 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Autonomous vehicles.
« Reply #180 on: August 20, 2020, 09:22:54 AM »
he technology, however, could be given the go-ahead for speeds of up to 70mph in the UK, according to the DfT, potentially making long stretches of tedious motorway driving a thing of the past.

You mean that people who pay little attention now will be able to pay no attention at all  :o  Look out for a steep rise in Teslas hitting fire trucks...

Also idiots climbing into the back seat for a sleep while travelling on the motorway, putting their 5 year old in the drivers seat for a photo or video  for youtube ' 5 year old driving at 90mph goes viral'  -- human idiocy knows no bounds.   And pretty soon ebay will be selling devices to defeat the safety that car makers install to make sure 'driver' ( LOL ) has to push a button every so often, keep hands on steering wheels sensors etc.

I assume the auto systems will be able to read the 'no lane markings for 5 miles' signs and turn the autopilot off,  Tesla crashes have been caused by the fact that one of white lines disappeared - some cars when they didn't detect a white line just kept going across the highway and hit the central barrier at high speed --- there is going to have to be a step-change in road maintenance before they can think about using road markings to guide vehicles..
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 09:57:39 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #181 on: August 20, 2020, 09:38:39 AM »
I assume it now means I can be drunk and not in charge of the vehicle when autopilot is on?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #182 on: August 20, 2020, 09:43:42 AM »
I assume it now means I can be drunk and not in charge of the vehicle when autopilot is on?

Yeah that will open an entirely new can of legal worms...   'i was in the back seat when the car hit the crash barrier officer'
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #183 on: August 20, 2020, 09:54:19 AM »
I don't know which is harder...

1. Staying alert and in control of your car at all times when on the motorway

2. Becoming instantly alert from a state of distraction when your car decides it is not sure how to handle what is ahead

Actually I do.

I have driven the American highways for many thousands of miles. I know that they can be very long, very straight and very dull, particularly the Interstates. But I also know that you can be doing 70 along a ramrod straight I-something through a featureless prairie and you can see a farm truck considering pulling out from a farm road. What I don't know is how good the AI is at predicting human nature and  reacting when that truck and trailer decides randomly to cross all four lanes to get to the farm road on the other side. I know when it happened to me it was a completely ridiculous manouvre, but I also know I guessed it might happen and allowed for it. Does AI guess or predict from an algorithm?

I also have driven the I-15 from Las Vegas to Los Angeles. Ramrod straight, two lanes in each direction and relatively featureless. Heading from Las Vegas to Los Angeles I would estimate every third driver to be unsafe due to either alcohol, having been gambling for 24 hours straight or other reasons. I have never been so scared and on edge in my life as on that journey with all my family in the car with me. It is the nearest I have ever been to being in a multi car pile up. A car in front of me braked so hard the car behind it swerved completely into the mercilfuly wide gap between the carriageways and performed a graceful pirouette before pulling back on about five cars behind me and continuing on it's way.

American highways and Interstates are not at all like our M and A roads.

What I do know is roads will only be safe when ONLY AI is in charge of all vehicles.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 10:09:20 AM by richardfrost »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #184 on: August 20, 2020, 10:18:07 AM »
Be interesting to see the legal battles when car makers rather than drivers are blamed for crashes - this really blurs the line about who is in charge of the vehicle,  the driver or the electronics.  The thing computers lack is the anticipation that humans have based on previous experiences,  and the ability to pick out shapes amongst any amount of background clutter, and the ability to interpret the way a vehicle is being driven what it is likely to do next.... This could be really interesting.    Tests have shown that the ability of a distracted human who is sure the computer is running things to assess a situation and regain control takes far too long to avoid pretty much anything.  Is an auto system going to recognise the front of a vehicle sticking out from a side turning and prepare for it to pull out the way Richard Frost did - or will it just see it as an inanimate part of the scenery and not a threat at all ?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 10:20:51 AM by culzean »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #185 on: August 20, 2020, 10:53:57 AM »
The new legislation will avoid the need for the driver to hold the wheel or press a button every few seconds. The insurance companies are looking to hold the car and ultimately the manufacturer responsible for damages so that may put an end to such technology being fitted to cars. It will also be used on 44 ton trucks!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #186 on: August 22, 2020, 09:26:59 PM »
I wouldn't want to be in the vicinity when the unexpected happens. What will the autonomous vehicle do if confronted by a vehicle coming in the wrong direction on a motorway? As noted above, things might work when everything is driverless which should eliminate that particular problem but there are still hazards such as a wheel coming off a moving lorry.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #187 on: August 22, 2020, 10:02:14 PM »
What will the autonomous vehicle do if confronted by a vehicle coming in the wrong direction on a motorway?
Probably the same as I would do. Sh*t itself.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #188 on: August 23, 2020, 08:43:54 AM »
I wouldn't want to be in the vicinity when the unexpected happens. What will the autonomous vehicle do if confronted by a vehicle coming in the wrong direction on a motorway? As noted above, things might work when everything is driverless which should eliminate that particular problem but there are still hazards such as a wheel coming off a moving lorry.

How about if your AV gets the dreaded blue screen while moving and had to be re-booted - also what if microsoft decides to send you updates while on the M25 and forces a reboot ? I hope AV will run on Linux like most of the other things that need to be reliable and bug free.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #189 on: August 25, 2020, 01:31:23 PM »
Read a funny comment the other day, 'we can't trust computers to get exam results right but happy to trust them to drive tons of metal at high speed on our roads'......

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #190 on: August 25, 2020, 09:23:56 PM »
The computer didn't get the exam results wrong. The UK governments, who set the criteria for exam results, got it wrong. The computers just did the sums they were told to do.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #191 on: September 02, 2020, 01:10:19 PM »
OOPS..

"Tesla driver on 'autopilot' crashes into police car while watching film"

https://news.sky.com/story/tesla-driver-on-autopilot-crashes-into-police-car-while-watching-film-12058830

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #192 on: September 02, 2020, 03:29:08 PM »
OOPS..

"Tesla driver on 'autopilot' crashes into police car while watching film"

https://news.sky.com/story/tesla-driver-on-autopilot-crashes-into-police-car-while-watching-film-12058830
I'm surprised that the car didn't stop - perhaps it was also watching the film?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #193 on: September 02, 2020, 05:01:10 PM »
I'm surprised that the car didn't stop - perhaps it was also watching the film?

The 'driver' LOL is in trouble anyway,  as should Tesla be as well for selling the 'autopilot' when it is nothing of the sort ( just maybe a glorified cruise control ) ... imagine if the car had killed all those police ...

It is worrying that people take liberties with tech and it leads to massive inattention - Tesla should recall cars and disable the autopilot feature which has been implicated in a few collisions.  I would not like to trust the doctor who was driving with anything more than an ingrowing toenail.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 06:34:20 PM by culzean »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #194 on: September 02, 2020, 06:09:25 PM »
Earlier in the summer, a German court ruled that Tesla was exaggerating their claims and that "Autopilot" created the false impression that the car can drive itself.
The manual for Tesla Autopilot clearly states what it can and can't do and that the driver must be in control of the vehicle at all times. Driver deaths in these cars are just natural selection.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/business/tesla-autopilot-germany.html

Tags:

anything