Author Topic: Insurance Renewal...How Much!  (Read 9005 times)

Spencer69

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
Insurance Renewal...How Much!
« on: April 28, 2018, 04:08:58 PM »
Hi All, As title says it all I think!

General query with other members. I recently received renewal in disbelief-my quote for coming year has risen by £110.00 - last years premium was £422.00 and now they want £532.00.

I received email from confused.com giving quotes (based on last years information) of lowest at £365.00. I also noted quote for current company of £406.00 (Alot less than renewal quote of £532.00).

The only factor that has changed is in July last year a 'no fault' claim was made and all costs recovered from other driver at fault (we were stationary at pedestrian crossing in supermarket car park & other driver reversed out of parking space causing damage to our bumper. It turned out that we were both insured by same company and insurance company called me explaining that othe driver was to blame & they would recover costs from same. Person calling also confirmed that this would not damage my no claims discount - which is true as it now stands at 9 years NCB - we would not be charged for hire car and effectively should be as though nothing ever happened as far as my circumstances were concerned) this is until we received the above quote adding in excess of 25% from last year.

Should also say at moment am waiting until Monday to speak with insurance company re their £532 figure, but in meantime I am also loathed to make any further enquiries with online comparison websites as this would mean I will have to include the 'no fault claim' for estimates (mention this as there are few companies that do not charge added premiums for no fault claims-if that makes sense).

Asking members for any advice on matter or any quotes they have received with or without 'no fault claim' & who with?

Many thanks for reading.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Insurance Renewal...How Much!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 04:36:59 PM »
I would wait until you speak to your insurers. See what they have to say.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 06:12:37 PM »
I had a no fault claim with Saga in 2015. My premium then was £190 ish.  (they were excellent doing repairs)
In 2016 they increased it to £215 - after some phone negotiation.
In 2017 £235 - ditto .

(in both cases I could not find a significantly cheaper quote.)
 This year Saga asked for £280.
RIAS offered £160 ish.. I took it..

Edit : I am 70  (oh dear) with 18 years NCD.. - company cars before that.

Insurers treat customers not as VALUED customers but as mugs to be fleeced.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 06:16:14 PM by madasafish »

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 06:55:22 PM »
Many thanks for reply Jocko. Yep, fear it will be a call on Monday. Needless to say I did attempt contact today but left hanging-it is weekend afterall. Can't go any further with comaprison sites until I find out the cost of claim (there is minimal detail on policy portal but no costs figure info) that was recovered from the other driver-who was at 100% fault-but also insured by same company! I did find email from the time in which I confirmed with them that no change to NCD or excesses-pity I didn't include the word premiums!

Hi Madasafish, Also many thanks for your input. Great prices and fear this to do with experience (or age!) and NCD! I will be able to look forward to correspondence from Saga next year & also using their car insurance quotes!

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 10:01:36 PM »
I am with Quote Me Happy. My previous, 2015 Jazz ES+. Went from £206, to £209, at last year's renewal. (I'm 74).

Swapping to the new, EX Navi...... I've had a refund of 64p!  ;D
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

guest5079

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 01:50:11 PM »
In with my last renewal was a piece of paper stating I have 22yrs No claims discount with this company. However it also states even with a protected no claims discount should you have a claim even if it is a no fault claim your premium might increase .Presumably  they mean as well as any other increase.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 04:46:52 PM »
As before sticking with Insurance companies for Home and or Motor does not seem worthwhile, each year we use comparison sites then haggle with existing company , usually swayed by the Quidco cashback eg Aviva were offering £60.00 for new customers recently...

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 07:12:22 PM »
Exactly, loyalty really doesnt count for anything nowadays. Even read a few comments on current insurers facebook page that they have even admitted to not being competitive anymore! Not exactly a way I would choose to run a business & appear to be losing more customers than new. Found comment that customer with no changes at all has still seen increase of over £100 & there's lil ol' me complaining at increase of £130 with a no fault claim!

Am awaiting response from them with regard to figures & then some time for a little homework. It's also very interesting to find out how many insurance companies are actually 1 and the same company yet give disparity between the quotes...suppose no different to broadand providers!

Thanks again for all rsponses and will see what tomorrow brings...if anything!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 07:51:40 PM »
Insurers tend to abuse loyal customers and new customers get all the best deals.  The take away message is don't be afraid to move companies if they are not treating you well.  It has never been easier to move to new insurers, energy suppliers and banks.

I had been with AA for a few years and was not happy with last years renewal quote so I moved companies and got over £100 cheaper like for like cover. I always let the company know why I am leaving - maybe it will do other customers some good.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 09:07:42 AM »
Car breakdown insurance is a bit of a joke, I had AA and on renewal the premium doubled, so I asked why. All I got was a load of waffle. So I wrote again and was told that my first year was a special offer as if I am not bright enough to realise and therefore I had to pay full price. I asked why not take an average over special offers and full price and more people might be happy. OH no that was a lead balloon job.
I eventually went to GEM. Owning a Honda as yet I have not had to bother them!!!!!! the AA and RAC are well aware of the Honda reliability and yet we have to subsidise the less reliable marques.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 10:42:42 AM »
Insurers tend to abuse loyal customers and new customers get all the best deals.  The take away message is don't be afraid to move companies if they are not treating you well.  It has never been easier to move to new insurers, energy suppliers and banks.

I had been with AA for a few years and was not happy with last years renewal quote so I moved companies and got over £100 cheaper like for like cover. I always let the company know why I am leaving - maybe it will do other customers some good.

Couldn't agree more.

One thing I have noticed when you cancel an insurance now, companies used to give you a load of flannel about going to a cheaper company, not paying out, inferior insurance benefits, blah blah blah, but nowadays they don't bat an eyelid.

Put your details into a couple of comparison sites, you only have to do it once and then they remember you the next year. Use them every year, then ring your current insurer and get them to match the best price. Most will, a few companies have less flexibility - if they can't, move. Personally, if I do end up swapping to another company, I try to avoid anything to do with BISL (Budget Insurance) - too many horror stories, and they insist on auto-renewal.

guest4871

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 11:43:21 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but BISL are also behind AA Insurance Services, RAC Insurance Services and many many others too including comparethemarket.com !

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 12:18:43 PM »
Try Aviva. No questions asked. Also counts the length of your provisional license too.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 01:31:19 PM »
In light of this thread I started looking round for quotes, as my insurance is due in the summer. The only place which has offered me a quote is Saga. All the rest refuse to quote, as my renewal date is too far off. I just wish that was the first question they ask. On some sites it is the last!
A new thing I notice this year is the offering of SDP or SDP + commuting. Unfortunately, because I usually run my Mrs to work I have to opt for the second, even though I myself am retired. In the past commuting was always included automatically (at least with the companies I used).

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 03:36:17 PM »
Personally, if I do end up swapping to another company, I try to avoid anything to do with BISL (Budget Insurance) - too many horror stories, and they insist on auto-renewal.
I am insured with Lloyds Bank who use BISL. I have just cancelled my auto renewal, which they do not emphasise is in existence and I got a letter confirming the cancellation.
Auto renewal is something to watch out for in your policy.

Vic.

Tags: