Author Topic: Different transmission types.  (Read 3857 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Different transmission types.
« on: May 20, 2018, 06:47:50 PM »
Some people may find this of interest. How to use and break them.

The Aussie robust language warning applies.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 07:14:31 PM by Skyrider »

guest7675

Re: Different transmission types.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 07:38:12 PM »
Some people may find this of interest. How to use and break them.

The Aussie robust language warning applies.

good on yer cobber

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 12:16:35 PM »
What prompted me to post that video was a friend who mentioned that his DSG equipped Skoda was juddery when creeping in and out of his garage, he thought he "just had an automatic" and had no idea what was happening "down there" until I linked him to that video.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 07:34:23 PM »
had no idea what was happening "down there" until I linked him to that video.
..as the actress said to the bishop ;)

guest5079

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 08:48:38 PM »
The video is certainly educational but perhaps I am too touchy, the way the VW groups DSG slipped out almost as an aside when Fords got a hammering. I have read that in Australia there is I believe a class action involving Ford over their powershift box. Perhaps deservedly so, however I have also read that the VW groups DSG has not been without its problems.
There seems to be a love fest over VW group vehicles and considering the flanker VW pulled over the diesels I do wonder why VW is always superb when it comes to the motoring press. It is a fact  that VW are not as fantastically  reliable so why don't the motoring press show a little more impartiality?
The commentator was quite vitriolic over Honda's first CVT and yet hereon club jazz we read about the many who are very happy with their Mk1 CVT's albeit with a few problems that seem to be cured by a couple of fluid changes.

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 10:08:28 PM »
Honda's early CVTs used clutches those are the ones criticised. Both Ford an VAG have had huge problems with dry clutch transmissions in Australia, the USA, China, and other countries where there has been a predominance of automatic transmissions. Thousands of people buying them just did not know that they were a different type of gearbox and inadvertently abused and damaged them.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:12:26 PM by Skyrider »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 10:13:53 PM »

There seems to be a love fest over VW group vehicles and considering the flanker VW pulled over the diesels I do wonder why VW is always superb when it comes to the motoring press. It is a fact  that VW are not as fantastically  reliable so why don't the motoring press show a little more impartiality?
The commentator was quite vitriolic over Honda's first CVT and yet hereon club jazz we read about the many who are very happy with their Mk1 CVT's albeit with a few problems that seem to be cured by a couple of fluid changes.

To be fair to John Cadogan he is a vocal and vociferous critic of VW as making unreliable junk. But you are right, even Which get all misty eyed when faced with a VW badge and yet they, at the same time, publish stats which show that VW, as a brand has average reliability at best.

I had a Golf and it was monumentally unreliable. It was nice to drive though and that's what the boy racers in the motoring press pick up on.

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 10:19:35 PM »
Did someone mention press impartiality?  I have yet to see a good word for CVTs, but I get on fine with mine and between Toyota and Honda there must be millions of them in use.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 07:46:44 AM »

To be fair to John Cadogan he is a vocal and vociferous critic of VW as making unreliable junk. But you are right, even Which get all misty eyed when faced with a VW badge and yet they, at the same time, publish stats which show that VW, as a brand has average reliability at best.

I had a Golf and it was monumentally unreliable. It was nice to drive though and that's what the boy racers in the motoring press pick up on.

The 'perceived' quality of German products is taking a long time to get eroded by the facts* - but then motoring journalists rarely seem to deal in facts,  it is all about 'their' impressions,  and obviously they don't like testing CVT cars,  it is probably 'beneath them'.

* mainly because Germans keep bombarding us with propaganda in magazines and on TV.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 07:48:53 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 11:55:27 AM »
I suppose it's to do with age but as my Wife says I do tend to wander off subject. Many moons ago, when I was a grease monkey, when we made parts and adapted parts to fit, I had the pleasure of working on some of Germany's products. I was faced with a Mercedes clutch job and was concerned about this wonderful engineering. Well when I came to confront the bogey I found the Merc no better built than the Ford 100/105E and Moggy 1000's which were our bread and butter. What was an eye opener was the price structure. In 1969 it was £100 for the clutch from Mercedes. Our factor had the clutch but there were two variants, so I had to make a 60mile round trip with the clutch as a pattern. I think it cost somewhere around £12 a weeks wages for me. It was said as the clutch from the factor was made in Germany it was identical to the one from the dealer. Another time I was given the job of replacing the heater? tubes around the exhaust of a VW Beetle. I was disgusted at the rust and crap quality. Quite honestly there were A55 pickups coming off Bodmin Moor that had been immersed in mud and cow muck for 12mths that had less rust.  Those were the days, now if a vehicle was presented how half of those brought in for MOT were, it would fail before entering the garage. I am biased, I do not like German cars.

guest7675

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 12:33:54 PM »
Transmissions vw, skoda, seat dsg twin clutch semi auto some with paddleshift then automated like in fiat autoes and abarth which are not too bad but cvt and dsg better, cvt as we know uses belts in stepped gear ratios up to 7 speeds which seem a lot better than years ago, ford uses powershift dual clutch as does some mazdas and then theres kia and hyundai some of them now use updated twin clutch semi auto as well  i do know that the venga still uses a mechanical toq converter auto as does some vauxhalls.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 01:30:48 PM »
I love the conventional hydraulic automatic transmission with torque converter. The three cars I owned with this system had 3, 4 and finally 5 gears, and my brother's 3 Series BMW has 7 gears (sadly, now superceded by a DSG gearbox  :( ). I only ever stuck them in Drive, though I happily used the kickdown and occasionally the Sports button!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 01:36:28 PM by Jocko »

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 02:24:07 PM »
cvt as we know uses belts in stepped gear ratios up to 7 speeds which seem a lot better than years ago
In the case of Honda it's only stepped if you activate stepped mode using the paddles. Left to its own devices it has no steps although the 1.3 Mk3 suffers from slight mishandling of the Atkinson/Otto engine switch which can make it feel like it has a step around 2,000 rpm.

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 02:58:36 PM »
My CVT is stepless if used gently, if you apply power it feels like a down change (kickdown) as it drops to an appropriate ratio. This can be without using the kickdown switch near the bottom of the accelerator travel. Once this "kickdown" has occured acceleration is smooth and continuous. I have only used the paddles a couple of times and find them unnecessary, selecting sport mode and flooring it rapidly has you into licence thretening speeds when overtaking is required!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 03:00:33 PM by Skyrider »

guest7675

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 03:03:16 PM »
Yes your right andruec i had this type in my Daihatsu yrv 130ps turbo and it was very good and quick in a straight line 0-60 7.8 secs but let down by its handling mind you what i liked is it was different but the honda jazz sport cvt should be as good if not better another thing in manual mode if theres a steep downhill you can slow the car with this mode.

Tags: