Author Topic: The infamous EGR valve problem (Honda Jazz 2002-2008)  (Read 202928 times)

smilertoo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.39l Honda Jazz 2004 Ice Blue - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
Re: The infamous EGR valve problem (Honda Jazz 2002-2008)
« Reply #150 on: August 27, 2018, 08:21:46 PM »
My gasket was reduced to a few flakes peeling off, had to order a new one from Honda. I would like to take it right apart to clean it properly but im not sure if trying to do so would break it. I just pulled out the little valve..jammed it open and soaked it all in EGR cleaner for a while.

razordw

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Honda Fit Sport
« Reply #151 on: January 22, 2019, 07:59:31 PM »
Hope it's okay to bring this topic up again. Anyway I stumbled on this forum while looking into how common of a problem Honda Fit/Jazz have had with a cylinder valve going bad as I was felt mine has had happen (more on why I thought this below). What I didn't expect was to find that an issue with the EGR valve was extremely common. That brings me to wonder if someone here can maybe help me decide if it's worth trying to check out the EGR valve or not. Please note this is for my wife's 2008 Honda Fit Sport (as implied, I'm in USA) with 110k miles.

Primary symptom is when the engine is cold (especially noticeable when the weather is also cold) rough idle (sometimes very rough), stalling when under in gear sometimes dying, even just dying when stopping. Note that once the engine is warmed up the issues all pretty much disappear as my wife has never complained of them when it's warmed up and it never does it to me when warm. Also she claims the Lucas fuel injector cleaner does help it behave better (I was thinking maybe valve with deposits that won't clear). Also I swear it sounds like has a slight pinging sound inside that used to never be there(I could just be hearing things). If driven cold too many times in a row, fuel economy will suffer, otherwise it sticks pretty close to 28-30mpg mixed driving. As of late, the last couple times my wife took off without letting it warm up enough, the engine stalled enough to cause the power brake boost to fail, so she had a frightening stop, thankfully no one was in front of her and no cross traffic. I did verify with a mechanic that all of the braking components are good.

Last year when this first presented itself as a large issue during cold weather (hesitation for probably a good year before this with issues trying to die, but not, on stopping) I decided to change the coils since the plugs had just been replaced(even went for premium plugs). It was still having issues so I tested compression and found Cylinder 1 had terrible cold compression, but fine compression when warmed up (rest were fine). At this time the engine finally started throwing miss fire codes, usually random, though sometimes it would give Cylinder 4 (wasn't sure if someone had messed up programming or wiring at that time). I've since seen it give other cylinder numbers as well on the miss fire, but that's it code wise. Since my brother-in-law is a mechanic(has his own shop), I talked with him and his thought was probably a valve not sealing correctly in the cylinder when cold. I then spoke with a Honda dealer to get a quote on fixing the issue, and as expected they said replacing the head was cheaper, though they then noticed it was even cheaper to just replace the engine.

Given the braking issues now occurring, I was looking again at the cost of going ahead and replacing the engine, but before doing so decided I better check to make sure this wasn't a common problem (last thing I want to do is install a "new" used engine only for it to start failing too) and discovered this forum. With that, I'm hoping maybe someone here can say if all these symptoms could easily be worth my time this weekend to deal with the cold and pull the EGR valve off, clean it, and then clean anything else related to the EGR.

Thanks!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #152 on: January 22, 2019, 08:17:56 PM »
Stalling and misfire on mk1 can also be commonly caused by rear plugs never being replaced ( not many any people,including garages know that engine has 8 plugs ) and the gap being way too big, and if left this can cause one or more rear coli packs to fail.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #153 on: January 23, 2019, 08:00:13 AM »
Think the earliest US models were 1.5 Litre VTEC equipped, so only 4 spark plugs.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #154 on: January 23, 2019, 10:12:04 AM »
Think the earliest US models were 1.5 Litre VTEC equipped, so only 4 spark plugs.

Yes,  there was a L15A2 i-DSI engine but Japan only I think.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

razordw

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Honda Fit Sport
« Reply #155 on: January 23, 2019, 03:11:02 PM »
Stalling and misfire on mk1 can also be commonly caused by rear plugs never being replaced ( not many any people,including garages know that engine has 8 plugs ) and the gap being way too big, and if left this can cause one or more rear coli packs to fail.
Based on my experience changing the plugs, I for the life of me have no clue where these would be so I suspect as Jocko pointed out, that mine only has 4 given it is the American version. I should note that when I changed mine, that I feel they were essentially on the rear side with nothing under the cowl/intake in front. Kind of wish it had 2 sets just so I'd have a potential fix to the compression issue as further reading doesn't make me feel the EGR could cause that. That said I do think mine probably has the EGR issue as well due to the random misfire codes so I'll take time regardless now this weekend to try and clean it out.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #156 on: January 24, 2019, 08:41:19 AM »
Based on my experience changing the plugs, I for the life of me have no clue where these would be so I suspect as Jocko pointed out, that mine only has 4 given it is the American version. I should note that when I changed mine, that I feel they were essentially on the rear side with nothing under the cowl/intake in front. Kind of wish it had 2 sets just so I'd have a potential fix to the compression issue as further reading doesn't make me feel the EGR could cause that. That said I do think mine probably has the EGR issue as well due to the random misfire codes so I'll take time regardless now this weekend to try and clean it out.

Yeah the 4 plugs on the VTEC engine are a PITA to change,  you have to unbolt and remove some of the scuttle to reach them as they are on the rear of the engine and no room. At least they are Iridium electrodes which will last at least 70,000 miles,  you would have to replace the normal plugs in i-DSi engine 3 x in same mileage,  and many garages don't bother..

Tags:

anything