Author Topic: Fuel Warning Light & Tank Capacity  (Read 47542 times)

guest869

Fuel Warning Light & Tank Capacity
« on: January 30, 2012, 06:07:12 AM »
When I went to fill up yesterday the low level light had been on for some time and the gauge was quite a long way down. However I only managed to get 33.6 litres in (and that was trying to get more in after the first auto shut off)

My tank capacity is 42 litres.

So I nearly have a quarter of a tank left!

Anybody really pushed the lower level warning and run the car for miles? I need to carry a spare can and just see how far I can go.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: Fuel Warning Light & Tank Capacity
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 08:41:01 AM »
I am a driving instructor, and can only get around 10 hours of tuition from a tank of fuel in the Jazz, so if I am busy, I need to top up again each evening to get me through the next day. I know its only £25-£30 a time and it all equates to the same thing, but it just annoys me too that in theory theres 15 litres of fuel constantly sitting there that I don't have the bottle to use.

guest2865

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 09:27:24 AM »
I experience a similar lack of confidence in the fuel gauge.  I haven't gone down as far as the light coming on but a needle about 3 needle widths off of the bottom mark still allows around 15 litres still in there.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 09:33:49 AM »
The most I have ever put in my GD Jazz is 34 litres. Generally when the light comes on it takes 32 or 33 litres to the first shut off. However it depends on the brand of fuel, some froth up more than others making the pump shut off sooner. That's why when doing a fuel consumption check you should always return to the same filling station and if possible the same pump for the most accurate result. Also try filling when the gauge is on the half mark, it is 18 to 19 litres in mine.

guest2867

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 09:44:45 AM »
I agree probably about 90 / 100 miles after the light comes on, nice to know you have a reserve.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 09:46:59 AM »
On the GE Jazz it's the same. When the fuel light comes on there's at least a gallon left. It's touted as a "reserve capacity" but that's probably marketing making a virtue out of a necessity, caused by the unusual shape of the fuel tank and its placement in the Jazz.

guest2865

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 09:50:41 AM »
With modern electronics it is easy to make a fuel gauge appear linear for any shape of fuel tank.  At least the consensus here indicates that the lack of linearity on mine is the norm - one less thing to worry about.

Geoffers

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 12:08:50 PM »
The most we've put in either of our GEs is 33 litres. In the GD it was 35.69! ;D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 07:44:37 PM »
I have found that when you top the tank right up to the top, after you have used 20 litres the needle is showing half a tank,  it is only the bottom half that is non linear and that is because when it is showing empty (needle) and the warning light comes on there is still at least 7 litres left.  This is the precautionary principle -  that you always have a 'reserve' when the tank is showing empty - I would be surprised if any car maker was different - the last thing they want to happen is that you get stranded through lack of fuel.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 07:46:06 PM »
The most I`ve put in the tank was 40.06 litres and I`ve done 508.9 miles on it (02.07.2011).

The handbook says when the fuel warning light comes up around 8 litres left in the tank.

guest869

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 08:43:39 PM »
I can see a bit of competition coming on.......

Who can get the most in their tank in one fill?

No spare fuel cans allowed!

Currrently it seems the best is 40.06 litres.

guest3040

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 08:55:07 PM »
I filled up my GD1 this evening after driving a couple of miles with the fuel light on.
Surprisingly, I managed to put 42 liters in the car. It sounds allot, but you can probably fit several liters in the fuel filler hose.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 09:59:33 PM »
Most in one fill: 42.06 litres
Most miles (fill up when the light comes on): 446 miles (different fill-up from above)

guest2807

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 08:56:22 PM »
I've just filled up and have a 300mile trip ahead of me tomorrow...not sure if i'll have the courage to do it on 1 tank....

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 04:27:24 PM »
If you leave a gallon in reserve that's about 37mpg,that's a bit pessimistic!!

Vic

Tags:

anything