Author Topic: My JDM Import Jazz/Fit's radio can only receive Radio 2!  (Read 29267 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
My JDM Import Jazz/Fit's radio can only receive Radio 2!
« on: November 29, 2008, 04:01:10 PM »
Imported JDM Models

Imported Jazz/Fit models from Japan (JDM or Japanese Domestic Market) may come with a different audio unit as fitted to UK models. Even if the visual design of the radio is identical, the system fitted to JDM cars operates on a different FM waveband. The FM band on JDM radios operate between 76-90Mhz, compared to the international FM bandwidth of 88-108Mhz on UK cars. So unless you like listening to Radio 2, you will need to fit a band expander to the radio, or replace the unit with either a UK-spec design or after-market type.

Band expanders fit at the connection point for the aerial and feed the UK bandwidth into the Japanese frequency. This means that the frequency will not display correctly – e.g., 98Mhz will display as 80Mhz on the radio’s display. This also means that some devices may result in the loss of Radio 2 because of it’s waveband location of around 88-90Mhz. Fitting a band expander is cheaper and easier then replacing the standard radio unit and can be purchased online (including on ebay), although many JDM imports usually have these fitted by the import dealer as part of the process of conforming the car to UK standards. Installation will require the removal of the radio unit.

The other issue is that JDM cars don’t generally (never?) have RDS (Radio Data System), which retunes the radio as it loses the frequency and provide local traffic reports to interrupt CD playback or when listening to some national BBC radio stations.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 09:22:40 PM by RichardA »

guest1529

Re: My JDM Import Jazz/Fit's radio can only receive Radio 2!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 10:27:48 AM »
Thanks for the post. I have a 3 year old Japanes imported Fit and have had a 14MHz expander fitted which allows access to nearly all UK radio stations. However, I find the radio reception is very poor in certain areas as I drive. This problem is not solved by retuning (RDS does not seem to work). Any ideas on how I can improve reception without fitting a UK radio? Also would like to know if I can check whether I can enable RDS on my radio ?

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 05:11:34 PM »
Unfortunately the band expander (which are 2 transformers and some wound components) will not transfer 100% of the signal and you will get losses more frequently when you are in a fringe area, depending on the frequency of the signal.  Under 100MHz will be better than say 109MHz.

Seeing a radio aerial sends millivolts (2-3 millionth of a volt) down the lead, it is important to make sure the connection is clean and tight.

Japanese built Jazz sold in SA have 88 to 108MHz radios fitted
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 05:13:14 PM by Chrisc »
If music be the food of love, play on

tonytan

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 11:13:44 PM »
Another alternative is to fit a add on DAB radio-see www.dabonwheels.co.uk which I have done to my Jazz via the "aux" input or via the aerial input. I fitted the Acoustic Solutions DAB-ICS100 which cost £39.99 and I can now receive DAB radio on the move which is fantastic and has literally made the FM radio now redundant and the big bonus is I can receive Talksport on the move! It is very easy to fit and you do not even have to remove to factory fitted unit if you are wiring it via the "aux" input (Jazz models from 2006 onwards have this socket fitted as standard) otherwise you can still wire it via the antenna lead but would involve removing the head unit).The DAB aerial is a very discreet glass mount aerial fitted to the windscreen,all in all it took me the best part of no more than 1 hour to install and in my opinion is one of the best value accessory I have ever fitted.

Tags:

anything