Author Topic: Air bag recall debacle  (Read 4349 times)

guest5079

Air bag recall debacle
« on: June 28, 2017, 11:20:05 AM »
On the radio in the past couple of days it has been announced that the US? has bought the air bag companies assets. I was surprised as I was under the impression that the car manufacturers affected were going to ensure that the air bag company did not go into bankruptcy.
I am no money wizard so it's all above my head BUT what is concerning is the fact that there is now some doubt about the problem of air bags being replaced ever being addressed.
Perhaps others who understand what the heck is going on could expand.
However having had to wait this long, I am resigned to it not happening BUT what does concern me and it's not mentioned on Honda's letters is that it is alleged that  the faulty air bags can explode spontaneously. Perhaps this is why the US took the Jazz/Fit off the road, thus getting the first bite of the proverbial cherry. Of course us Brits get told nothing.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Air bag recall debacle
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 11:31:38 AM »
When you bought a Honda with airbags, the legal responsibility to you as a consumer was borne by Honda. They made the car and have to fix any human  threatening faults.
Period.

So the recall will continue - and has to legally - at Honda's cost.. Takata which made the faulty airbags has filed for bankruptcy. That is irrelevant to consumer rights against Honda for supplying a car fitted with faulty airbags.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 11:33:29 AM »
Have you contacted your main dealer?

Both of our Jazzes have had the airbags done, one was whilst it was in for a service, the other whilst it was in for an mot. I am assuming they are prioritising the cars that come in for work, against those that are recall work only.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 12:49:50 PM »
I think there are many companies that go through US Chapter 11 bankruptcy procedures as a way of uncoupling the debt and liabilities from the operational finances and assets of the company.  Key Safety Systems had already been a primary investor in Takata, before this announcement and this seems to be the final stage of a takeover. 

It probably means that Honda et al. can no longer pursue Takata for compensation over the recall costs.
--
TG

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 01:08:30 PM »
Perhaps this is why the US took the Jazz/Fit off the road, thus getting the first bite of the proverbial cherry. Of course us Brits get told nothing.

USA consumer and law system is more active that in UK - and the airbags at most risk were ones installed in hot / humid countries,  neither of which really applies to UK,  so maybe that is why as a country we went to back of queue (or did Obama push us there, like he threatened to during run up to Brexit vote LOL)
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 02:14:31 PM »
Last week I finally got off my butt and decided to do something about the airbag on our Jazz.
Just out of curiosity, I went onto the Honda site, punched in the cars vin number only to be informed that there are no recalls outstanding on the car.
I then contacted the dealer and the car is booked in on the 14th. What has alarmed me is the comment, 'will order the parts ready for your appointment'. Where will they get them?
At the same time as I contacted the dealer I sent an enquiry to Honda on their Email enquiry form asking for clarification as to what is going on. Needless to say there has been no reply.

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 02:42:42 PM »
I had my Drivers air bag update done about a month ago. OK I had been waiting for 18 months or so but 40 minutes and one cup of coffee it was done. After about 3 letters from the dealer letting me know I hadn't been forgotten and when parts become available etc. I had a letter from dealer (Blade Honda Gloucester) and from Honda direct, my parts are available please arrange for the update. So I did!  :D

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 03:28:59 PM »
I spoke to the service department at Great Western Honda, in Halbeath, at the end of April. They confirmed that my car had a recall notice and one for window switches. He said there was a delay on parts but would contact me as soon as they came in. It has not really suited me to get them done before now, but as soon as I finish my holiday I will contact them again, to see what the story is.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 03:53:33 PM »
The four recalls that my Jazz's has been subject to have all gone through without any hassle or cause for concern.
These are the two for the window switch assembly, the headlight wiring and the airbag recall.
Maybe some of the problems owners appear to be suffering are dealer orientated.

Vic.

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 08:25:10 PM »
I had my Drivers air bag update done about a month ago. OK I had been waiting for 18 months or so but 40 minutes and one cup of coffee it was done. After about 3 letters from the dealer letting me know I hadn't been forgotten and when parts become available etc. I had a letter from dealer (Blade Honda Gloucester) and from Honda direct, my parts are available please arrange for the update. So I did!  :D

Same here! Last week. At my local dealer. Gilder Honda, Chesterfield........

The 40 minutes, gave me plenty of time to examine a Jazz EX. Hoping to swap, next springtime.  :)
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 11:30:11 PM »
Two weeks ago the driver side airbag is done of our Jazz.
I am still waiting the letter for it from  Honda Nederland... :o They never sent one!

Last year i found on the Irish Honda website that our car had a recall. Three months later the recall showed up on the Dutch car register (Honda Nederland has no single word airbag on their site!)
I waited 4 months for a letter which never came and finally called the Honda dealer to order the stuff and made an appointment.

Honda Nederland is a shame!

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 02:14:56 PM »
Two letters from Honda telling me to do nothing I will be contacted has produced nothing. Not a squeak out of the dealer until I contacted them. The Email to Honda re their entry that there are no recalls outstanding on our car Zilch. Now over a week.
It is nice to know that others have had SERVICE form their respective dealers.
Interestingly a conversation with another, produced the comment, that Her airbag was done by the dealer that supplied our Jazz and was far from impressed.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She could not use the dealer that she bought the car from due to distance and work commitments. The dealer now sells Suzuki, perhaps they offered a better deal. ( Cynic)
As has been pointed out, the situation is the responsibility of Honda and their dealer to deal with. Given the seriousness of the problem ( according to the news, the airbag can deploy spontaneously) clearly there are shortfalls in the response to something that I understand caused the US to take the cars off the road.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 04:03:38 PM »
Given the seriousness of the problem ( according to the news, the airbag can deploy spontaneously) clearly there are shortfalls in the response to something that I understand caused the US to take the cars off the road.

Other reports have said that the problem lies with the force with which the airbag deploys in the event of a collision,itself causing injury, not with the airbag deploying spontaneously.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 04:08:47 PM »
Given the seriousness of the problem ( according to the news, the airbag can deploy spontaneously) clearly there are shortfalls in the response to something that I understand caused the US to take the cars off the road.

Other reports have said that the problem lies with the force with which the airbag deploys in the event of a collision,itself causing injury, not with the airbag deploying spontaneously.

Vic.

I read that it was hot and humid conditions which affect the 'propellant' (ie. slow explosive) and cause it to be too vigorous - probably why UK was down the bottom of the list for replacements as we are rarely hot and humid.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/business/takata-airbag-recall-guide.html

The Honda Fit is not in 'most at risk' cars in USA list in above , in fact can't see it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 04:14:10 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 09:07:06 PM »
Mine goes in next Tuesday. Bit of a wait as so many cars, not just the Jazz, affected.

Tags: