Author Topic: Any recommendations for a rear left tyre replacement?  (Read 1569 times)

michaelC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz mk2 2013
Any recommendations for a rear left tyre replacement?
« on: November 18, 2018, 06:58:37 PM »
Hello all,
I discovered that my mk3 2013 Jazz has a deflating rear left tyre. 
Fortunately I do have a electric air pump in the boot so. I do reinflate before every journey, but the PSI drops from the recommended 31 to 26 after 1hrs driving on the A roads.

I'm going to check into a local garage on Monday to replace it... but when I looked online, it seems there's a HUGE range of tyres???!   ???
Of course don't want bog standard economy ones, but I don't need some super high tech racing ones either.  Not least because the other 3 are fine and don't need replacing right now!  :)

Has anyone else replaced the tyres at a garage?  Any 'brand' or type to be aware of, or avoid?  I don't imagine that this would need Honda garage to be done, unless there's some specific reason for it that someone could enlighten me with? 

Many thanks!!!

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Any recommendations for a rear left tyre replacement?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 07:02:06 PM »
Hello all,
I discovered that my mk3 2013 Jazz has a deflating rear left tyre. 
Fortunately I do have a electric air pump in the boot so. I do reinflate before every journey, but the PSI drops from the recommended 31 to 26 after 1hrs driving on the A roads.

I'm going to check into a local garage on Monday to replace it... but when I looked online, it seems there's a HUGE range of tyres???!   ???
Of course don't want bog standard economy ones, but I don't need some super high tech racing ones either.  Not least because the other 3 are fine and don't need replacing right now!  :)

Has anyone else replaced the tyres at a garage?  Any 'brand' or type to be aware of, or avoid?  I don't imagine that this would need Honda garage to be done, unless there's some specific reason for it that someone could enlighten me with? 

Many thanks!!!

Unless you can see a nail or screw in the tyre that is causing deflation why do you think it is the tyre ? If it is within 20 mm from sidewall on the tread or in the sidewall they will not repair it. How much wear on existing tyres, why not replace with the same type.  If you do a lot of miles try  Michelin ES+ but you will sacrifice grip for long wear - if you don't do many annual miles take your pick of other tyres.

Have you got alloy rims ? If so may not be the tyre, may well be rim corrosion under the tyre bead causing air loss, check for bubbling of paint near the tyre bead, mainly on the side of rim nearest the car ( the side you can't see when it is on the car).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 07:15:36 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 07:28:38 PM »
It could also be a leaking valve.
Take the valve cap off and put some spittle over the valve hole and see if it bubbles.
If it does get yourself a valve tool and tighten the valve. DO NOT remove the valve inner when under pressure it could take your eye out.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

michaelC

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 08:23:24 PM »
Thanks.
There's no visible damage to the tyre, and there's no real tread wear, so it s a shame that I'm having to replace it.
It's too dark now to check the valve to see if it has a leak, but I've also been wondering if that could be the root cause. 
I'll ask the garage if that's something that they can help with or at least inspect tomorrow.
I do have alloy rims (side topic: but I find that the front alloys get super dirty while the rear ones never get as dirty.  Wonder why that is??)

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 08:33:05 PM »
Front brakes do the majority of the work of stopping the car, so, the front wheels get dirty with brake dust.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

guest4871

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 08:43:47 PM »
I had the same problem, same tyre about  two weeks ago in a 2014 Mk2.

I went to my local tyre fitter and said the tyre was leaking air.

They found the problem which was a "silver" screw which had punctured the tyre in the thread area which I couldn't see.

They repaired the puncture and charged £18 for the job.

Now as good as new!

If something like a screw or nail penetrates the tyre it usually stays in and fills the hole so you get a slow leak as you describe - that is a slow puncture.

I believe these days you should normally only expect a puncture very 100,000 miles on aveage, so hopefully once this is repaired you'll be good for a while. :)

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 10:20:16 PM »
Hi MichaelC,

Just about any garage can check your tyre for you and should charge around £20 to repair it if they can, repairing issues with the wheel could be a bit dearer depending on what needs doing to it. Main dealers can be more expensive than other garages, this is a simple repair or replacement that doesn't need taking to a main dealer if you don't want to.

Most garages can get most brands and sizes of tyre delivered to them in a few hours from their wholesaler, if you want a  specific tyre then it may cost you more or take longer, I usually just ask what they can get cheap, sometimes you get lucky and they have something in stock on special offer.

I usually get Yokohama if available as this is what was on the car when new, they are mid-price and seem to last and handle as well as anything else, Michelin is considered the best by most people, also rated highly are Pirelli, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Continental and Dunlop, as you would imagine, the more premium the brand, the more it costs.

It recently cost me £20 to have a split valve replaced.

Good luck

michaelC

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 10:39:46 PM »
I'm humbled by the fast and supremely helpful responses by fellow forum members!  Thank you!
Very pleased to hear that several cases have been resolved with a puncture repair cheaply, rather than a full on tyre replacement!  Fingers crossed for tomorrow!
In the meantime, I've been doing quite bit of research about car tyres - there's a huge amount of detail in such overlooked and unassuming aspects of the Jazz. 

I'm not sure if these tyres are stock, or have been replaced already, but my front tyres are FALKEN ZIEX ZE914 ECORUN (185/55/R16 83V), but the rear ones are different!  They're from DUNLOP SP SPORT 2030 (185/55/R16 83H)
Apparently the DUNLOP ones are not brilliant, and they wear out quite quickly (someone said it lasted only 8000miles) and have terrible road noise.  As someone who's driving on major A roads and motorways, I can definitely attest to considerable road noise!  Just didn't realise that it was something I could do anything about! :P

I'll post a separate topic about all-weather/winter tyres, as I think that might be a "fun" thing given the upcoming weather expected...! :)

Tags:

anything