Author Topic: All Season Tyres for Crosstar  (Read 9340 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: All Season Tyres for Crosstar
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2021, 10:09:03 AM »
Some cars, mine, for instance, can be purchased with more than one wheel size and tyre sizes. Provided the tyres/wheels fitted are specified for the car then there is no need to inform the insurers.

Quite right - the Jazz mk1 and 2 can either have 185/55R16 or 175/65R15 ( see tyre homolgation sticker on drivers door pillar ).  As long as ET ( offset from hub face to centre of rim ) is the same ( IIRC 45mm ) then not a problem.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2021, 10:11:00 AM »
My local dealer is offering Falken, Toyo and Bridgestone in this size.  If demand rises, no doubt other makers will respond.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2021, 10:11:14 AM »
Perhaps the size and brand options differ in the EU. I've purchased motorcycle tyres for my Honda CBF from https://www.oponeo.co.uk/ and they arrived from Germany. Just a thought.

Expatman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2021, 01:32:47 PM »
My local dealer is offering Falken, Toyo and Bridgestone in this size.  If demand rises, no doubt other makers will respond.
Precisely my point, economy summer tyres with less than excellent ratings, where are the top rated Michelin, Goodyear, Continental etc. tyres? Where are top rated All Season tyres?
As I said if you're happy with limited choice of secondary tyres then that's fine. Personally I'm not.
Incidentally Honda have not certified any other tyre size for the Crosstar, I repeatedly asked them to consider alternative sizes without success.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2021, 02:45:32 PM »
From what I have read the vehicle weight and the tyre pressure determine the contact patch with very little input from diameter, width or ratio. Maybe jazzaro can bring some of his expertise to the discussion.
There are many parameters to be considered. Basically a tire is a spring, its stiffness depends by air pressure, ratio, carcass and steel belts. The lower is the ratio, the lower the sidewall will bend itself when you brake (weight "transfers" from the back to the front) and you rotate the steering wheel, and this helps the whole tire to keep its geometry. This means that handling will be more constant when weight and temperature change, and the car will be as more responsive as less comfy.
I have an EX, so 185/55 R16, and it's slighty stiffer than the 185/60R15. But it's also more reactive to steer, I can feel it driving fast in hill roads. In normal driving the only difference is confort in potholes.
About fuel economy, I can talk about two cars: with my old Renault, bought with 165/65 R15 and then switched to 185/60 R15, the difference was quite zero, 185 tire mileage was 0,1-0,2 liter per kilometer worst than 165. Mileage used to be worst with winter tires, with 165 and 185, more than 0,5 liters per kilometer, handling on dry and wet road was better with 185/60, while 165/65 were definetly better on snow.
About the current Jazz EX, 185/55 R16 only allowed (in Italy we cannot change tire size without the manufacturer permission), I earned 0,3 kilometers per liter switching from the OEM Bridgestone SP Sport to Continental Ecocontact6, and I lose more than half a kilometer per liter driving with winter tires, same size. So my personal law says that "size doesn't matters", or better, size matters less than the tread softness.  But this is my own law, it cannot be a general law. 

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2021, 07:58:33 PM »
My ex pupil had a puncture on his Mazda2 and guess what, the tyre is 185 60 16! Not many choices even for Summer tyres, let alone All Seasons!

Expatman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2021, 10:23:59 PM »
My ex pupil had a puncture on his Mazda2 and guess what, the tyre is 185 60 16! Not many choices even for Summer tyres, let alone All Seasons!

Exactly, there does seem to be a problem with far eastern cars using non standard tyres. You would have thought that as part of European homologation they would have considered adopting common European tyre sizes. In most cases they could easily spec a readily available tyre close to the original specification. Why not? ]

« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 10:27:39 PM by Expatman »

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2021, 08:39:10 AM »
Exactly, there does seem to be a problem with far eastern cars using non standard tyres. You would have thought that as part of European homologation they would have considered adopting common European tyre sizes. In most cases they could easily spec a readily available tyre close to the original specification. Why not? ]
Years ago I had the same problem with a Renault Clio, tire size 165/65R15. My uncle had same problem with a VW Polo, mounting a very very strange size, it's a common problem.

Expatman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2021, 10:48:08 AM »
Yes it’s a common problem and in my case will stop me buying the Crosstar. I can’t think I am the only person who feels that way either - looks at the car, likes it but does a bit of research on line only to find the problem and decides to look elsewhere.
It’s not like there aren’t any alternatives - the market is awash with small crossovers.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2021, 10:52:38 AM »
Bye then. Let us know what you go for.

Expatman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2021, 12:04:15 PM »
I will, but as I am currently only looking prior to changing cars late 2021 I am hoping that one of the tyre manufacturers will add the Crosstar size to their range.
New Toyota Yaris crossover might be worth a look when it's released later this year as well.

Expatman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2021, 03:25:36 PM »
Just to be fair to people looking for All Seasons tyres for their Crosstar the newish Falken AS210 all season tyres are available in 185/60 R16 size - the only all season tyre in that size on the market. The reviews are fairish with middling performance in tests, downside somewhat higher MPG. and high noise levels. Suggest anyone interested does a quick Google search - try Autobild.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2021, 03:58:33 AM »
All the tyres I saw yesterday on 3 different showroom MY21 Jazz models were all Yokohama.

I didn't check the outside Crosstar demonstrator..
Let's be careful out there !

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2021, 09:45:28 AM »
The lack of mudflaps is hardly a deal breaker.
All my previous Jazz cars were supplied as standard without flaps, but were added by the dealer FOC to get my business.

alfaomega

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV Executive 2021 - Sunshine White Pearl
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2021, 09:22:28 PM »
From what I have read the vehicle weight and the tyre pressure determine the contact patch with very little input from diameter, width or ratio. Maybe jazzaro can bring some of his expertise to the discussion.
There are many parameters to be considered. Basically a tire is a spring, its stiffness depends by air pressure, ratio, carcass and steel belts. The lower is the ratio, the lower the sidewall will bend itself when you brake (weight "transfers" from the back to the front) and you rotate the steering wheel, and this helps the whole tire to keep its geometry. This means that handling will be more constant when weight and temperature change, and the car will be as more responsive as less comfy.
I have an EX, so 185/55 R16, and it's slighty stiffer than the 185/60R15. But it's also more reactive to steer, I can feel it driving fast in hill roads. In normal driving the only difference is confort in potholes.
About fuel economy, I can talk about two cars: with my old Renault, bought with 165/65 R15 and then switched to 185/60 R15, the difference was quite zero, 185 tire mileage was 0,1-0,2 liter per kilometer worst than 165. Mileage used to be worst with winter tires, with 165 and 185, more than 0,5 liters per kilometer, handling on dry and wet road was better with 185/60, while 165/65 were definetly better on snow.
About the current Jazz EX, 185/55 R16 only allowed (in Italy we cannot change tire size without the manufacturer permission), I earned 0,3 kilometers per liter switching from the OEM Bridgestone SP Sport to Continental Ecocontact6, and I lose more than half a kilometer per liter driving with winter tires, same size. So my personal law says that "size doesn't matters", or better, size matters less than the tread softness.  But this is my own law, it cannot be a general law.
Hi, did you change tyres for a specific problem or just because you didn't get along with the Bridgestone?
Mine came with Yokohama tyres, not my favourite ones on paper but I haven't done lots of kms so I need more mileage to have a better opinion on them...

Inviato dal mio SM-G975F utilizzando Tapatalk

Tags:

anything