Author Topic: Air con stopped working.  (Read 1155 times)

goodboyjakey

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2008
Air con stopped working.
« on: September 12, 2019, 05:40:39 PM »
Just when it was at it's hottest this summer, the a/c packed up. I had it regassed and new filter installed at Halfords but they said they couldn't get it to work. There were no leaks.
I have looked at the forum and am a bit confused as to whether it is electrical or mechanical. The compressor is going round the whole time regardless of the a/c switch but the fan does come on when a/c is selected.
Any thoughts?

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Air con stopped working.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 06:53:06 PM »
The aircon compressor is mechanical and rotates all the time when the engine is running. There is an electrically operated clutch that engages the compressor when aircon is selected to on.
Select the 'run' position on the ignition switch but do NOT start the engine. The clutch can be felt cutting in when you select the aircon to on. At the same time the condensor cooling fan will cut in and make a very obvious noise, keep your hands clear of the radiator fan.
If neither of these are happening you may have an electrical fault or the gas pressure is still low. What filter did Halfords change?

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 07:35:22 PM »
After low gas pressure the aircon clutch relays are next suspect, they are a bit dodgy, either sticking closed and draining car battery or not closing at all.   If you open the bonnet and shine a torch down at lowest pulley below alternator to will see that with aircon turned off the outer pulley still rotates with the drive belt but the centre of the pulley ( clutch plate ) is stationary,  with air con turned on the solenoid should pull in the clutch plate which should rotate with the pulley, the solenoid pulls in clutch about every 10 seconds and then de-energises for a period ( this will be repeated as long as the AC is on and engine is running,  the compressor does not run all the time - only when clutch engages,  normally when clutch engages you will hear engine and aircon radiator cooling fans both run, and they stop when clutch drops out ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

goodboyjakey

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2008
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 03:26:14 PM »
Thanks for the advice Vic and Culzean and the filter was the one behind the glovebox.

The inner pulley with the three bolt heads, spins with the outer if the a/c is on or off. If the engine is off, should I be able to move the inner pulley round because it doesn't it's solid?
I don't think it is the relays as I have swapped the a/c compressor with one of the others and it doesn't make a difference.
Maybe it is looking like the compressor is shagged.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 07:01:07 PM »
you are looking at the wrong pulley,  the one immediately below the alternator with 3 bolt heads showing is the water pump IIRC.  The one you want is even lower than that one, you will need a decent torch to see it and it has 4 flat rivet heads showing linked together with a flat spring diaphragm thingy, which is the spring that holds the clutch plate open,  the solenoid overcomes this spring to engage the drive to compressor.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 08:31:10 PM »
It could also still be the relay. This isn't part of the compressor assembly, it lives in the fuse box (I think).
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Tags: