Author Topic: Brake cleaner when car serviced  (Read 2261 times)

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
Brake cleaner when car serviced
« on: August 16, 2016, 11:09:21 AM »
Hi, I have just had a Honda 12 service done at the local dealership and they have charged for to come brake cleaner, my question is this necessary as I would have thought that brake discs clean themselves or is this a garage extra on the bill. Thanks.

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
Re: Brake cleaner when car serviced
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 12:34:41 PM »
The cleaner is to get the dust etc off the calipers and drain it to a tray where it doesn't drift in the air. It evaporates and is not harmful to rubber  components. In my days in the garages it wasn't charged for but was an aid to brake cleaning but everything has a price these days (though that's not saying I agree with paying for this). It came after the days we used air lines to blow the asbestos dust off the components and blew out the brake drums :) Still breathing normally!  ;D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 01:03:57 PM »
The cleaner is to get the dust etc off the calipers and drain it to a tray where it doesn't drift in the air. It evaporates and is not harmful to rubber  components. In my days in the garages it wasn't charged for but was an aid to brake cleaning but everything has a price these days (though that's not saying I agree with paying for this). It came after the days we used air lines to blow the asbestos dust off the components and blew out the brake drums :) Still breathing normally!  ;D

Ever since the 'environmental charge'  for disposal of old oil,  dirty rags and gloves etc. first appeared they don't miss a trick in charging for everything - Health and safety nerds always say you can't put a price on health and safety - mainly because the customer ends up paying :-X
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 10:09:46 AM »
Hi, I have just had a Honda 12 service done at the local dealership and they have charged for to come brake cleaner, my question is this necessary as I would have thought that brake discs clean themselves or is this a garage extra on the bill. Thanks.

It shouldn't be any extra - Honda 12 service is a fixed price.   As long as you paid that I wouldn't worry about it.  It's a bit like the windscreen washer top-up - some people get really wound up about it being itemised on the bill, but as long as the total is as agreed then it doesn't matter.

I don't for a moment think they actually do clean the brakes, by the way - what earthly use would just randomly spraying some brake cleaner at them be?  When I used to service my car I'd strip and clean the brakes but they generally don't even take the wheels off now even on major services.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 01:40:00 PM by Rory »

Tags: