Author Topic: EFB or AGM Battery  (Read 3073 times)

Philno

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Mk 3 SE 2018 manual Sunset Orange
EFB or AGM Battery
« on: April 11, 2021, 11:00:22 AM »
Hi all,  I have a 2018 Jazz 3 SE Manual drive.
Can anyone confirm what type of stop/start battery it has?  I'm assuming it is the original factory fitted one.
All it says on the label which is visible is:

Manufactured by GS Yuasa International
For Stop + Start
20HR 50Ah
CCA 490A
B24(JIS)

I can't see a model number.

I've looked all over the web to confirm whether it's a EFB or a AGM but I cannot find a definite answer. Nothing in handbook. Cox motors does not give this info either.
I have a smart battery charger which you can select EFB or separately select AGM mode.
If I ever need to use it I want to be sure I've got the right setting selected.
Does anyone know the answer about the type?

Regards

Phil
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 11:04:33 AM by Philno »

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: EFB or AGM Battery
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 11:18:22 AM »
Have tried the RAC and kwick fit search engines and neither could find a battery for my MK3.
What I did read was that it's probably an EFB. But at the moment it's anybody's guess.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 12:02:58 PM »
What a coincidence ... I'm just researching exactly the same question. My battery hasn't died, but I'm a bit concerned that the recent "short journeys only" period plus an event a couple of years ago when it got accidentally completely drained has taken it's toll. Voltage readings aren't as healthy as I'd like and the Start-Stop system continues to give "low battery" warnings despite doing some longish drives.

Anyway, all the main online resellers with "Find my battery" search engines say they can't identify the battery. The only one I've found that seems confident is thebatteryshop.co.uk which suggests this one:
https://www.thebatteryshop.co.uk/yuasa-12v-45ah-450a-efb-start-stop-battery-ybx7053-053efb-n55-8929-p.asp

This is an EFB battery, and as far as I can tell the spec and physical size matches what's fitted. Search for "YBX7053" and you find a variety of prices. Cox Motor Parts seem to do a similar-spec battery which they claim to be genuine Honda for a slightly cheaper price (can't easily see their shipping costs though).

Philno

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Mk 3 SE 2018 manual Sunset Orange
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 02:19:28 PM »
Thanks all. I had the feeling before posting that it could be an EFB type. Thanks for taking the time to reply. The battery is working ok, but it's good to know this in case you need to charge it given that we've not been doing long journeys lately.
I've had the car a month and I personally turn off the auto idle start/stop every time I set off,
but that's just me. I understand why others may like this feature.
Regards

Phil

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 03:15:46 PM »
If you search the Yuasa site for stop start it offers you EFB batteries.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 04:02:50 PM »
It's EFB. It does seem to be an uncommon battery specified for the mk3, https://www.yuasa.co.uk/ybx7053.html
It's also used on stop/start 2.0L Mazda MX5 (2015-19), possibly a few other models.
I've found a handful of places which list it, just an example is https://www.thebatteryshop.co.uk/yuasa-12v-45ah-450a-efb-start-stop-battery-ybx7053-053efb-n55-8929-p.asp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy6Crl7v27wIVFO3tCh2nEATCEAQYASABEgIJRPD_BwE
There are alternative makes available, for example https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/types/048-efb/
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 04:06:57 PM by embee »

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 10:37:04 PM »
I quickly looked at the Yuasa site and from your posted information the B24 JIS battery is an EFB type.

During the various lockdown stages and subsequent low usage, I have used my CTEK MXS 5.0 battery conditioner on both AGM and EFB type batteries to keep them in good condition.

For the EFB batteries, I have used the 'normal' programme on the CTEK which uses a slightly different charge profile to the AGM type.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2021, 10:43:36 AM »
Hi all,  I have a 2018 Jazz 3 SE Manual drive.
Can anyone confirm what type of stop/start battery it has?  I'm assuming it is the original factory fitted one.
All it says on the label which is visible is:

Manufactured by GS Yuasa International
For Stop + Start
20HR 50Ah
CCA 490A
B24(JIS)

I can't see a model number.

I've looked all over the web to confirm whether it's a EFB or a AGM but I cannot find a definite answer. Nothing in handbook. Cox motors does not give this info either.
I have a smart battery charger which you can select EFB or separately select AGM mode.
If I ever need to use it I want to be sure I've got the right setting selected.
Does anyone know the answer about the type?

Regards

Phil
It's an OEM EFB Yuasa YBX7053 battery, an uncommon model for its dimensions, fitting very precisely in our Jazz engine bay.
There are several no-EFB lead acid batteries  and some AGM (i.e OPTIMA D51R) with same dimensions and pole pattern, but none of these should be fitted because Jazz electrical system has been tuned for an EFB-type battery; even if  standard or AGM batteries would work, their life would be shortened, so we must use only efb batteries.
Now my OEM Yuasa is getting older and the car often prompts the S&S not working for low battery charge symbol on the dash, so I'm considering to buy a new spare Yuasa, keeping it in my box; the cheapest one I've found costs 130€ on Ebay. 

Tags: