Author Topic: Won't Start After Lockdown Easing  (Read 1156 times)

zeusmc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2004
Won't Start After Lockdown Easing
« on: July 28, 2020, 02:51:20 PM »
Not been out in the car since before the lockdown started. I took the battery out as not going to use the car. Last time I went out, car was working fine. Has quite  high miles 150000+ registered 2004.
When recharged battery and put in, don't know anything about cars, at all. When put the charged battery back in, a few days ago  seems obvious red lead, to  + terminal  and black to -. Battery can only fit in one way in tray, for leads to connect up. Put + on first, then - which sparked a bit, as I say don't know anything about cars. So thought be wise, just in case done something dumb, like connected battery up wrong. Was told had put in correctly. Recharged battery again this morning, more topping up than full recharge.

Connected up battery, bit of sparking again on - lead. This time is a quite loud metallic, pulsing type sound coming from somewhere front left of engine compartment, ignition is dead. Didn't get any metallic sound first time I put battery back in.
Am unemployed, can't afford to get shafted, for a non nesscessary, expensive repair.
Anyone any ideas please?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 02:54:30 PM by zeusmc »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Won't Start After Lockdown Easing
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 04:28:35 PM »
When you say ignition is dead, do you mean it won't start, or are there no dash llights at all?

If the dash does light up, what is the 'green key' indicator light on the RPM gauge doing when you turn the ignition on?

Does the pulsing sound sound like clicking, or a metallic pinging type noise?

zeusmc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 07:20:45 PM »
No dash lights at all.   Um, more of a clicking I think, not what I'd call a ping. Is more a clicking , perhaps hissing sort of sound.

I have this feeling, you are going to say alternator..... kaput:)
Cheers.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 10:00:33 PM »
Unlikely to be alternator.

Do you mean there is nothing at all when you turn the ignition on? None of the normal ignition lights?

Any idea about the condition of the battery?

Do you have, or know anyone with a set of jump leads to give it a boost off another (running) car?

zeusmc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 10:39:06 PM »
Do you mean there is nothing at all when you turn the ignition on? None of the normal ignition lights?

Nothing at all when turn ignition, no lights, nothing, completely dead.

Any idea about the condition of the battery?
Is a Varta at least a year old, might be 3 or more. Used a quite new charger overnight, charger said battery, fully charged before putting in car. Also have another battery, bought the Varta, as thought the other one, was no longer holding charge. Turned out that battery was, or used to be alright. Put that on charge, and its light said fully charged. Will connect this other battery, Wednesday morning, will let you know result. I have some jump leads and can get someones car to connect up. Will have a closer, clearer listen to that sound, to try and identify it a bit better.
Cheers.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 11:06:49 PM »
Your noise could be the starter motor solenoid clicking, it's down the front of the engine, behind the radiator.

If you are sure the battery is okay, next thing I would be checking is all the heavy cables between the alternator, battery and starter motor, and the earth straps. Make sure all the connections are secure, and there is no sign of burning, etc..

With no dash lights, check the battery earth cable, and pay particular attention to the main earth strap from the engine/gearbox to the chassis. A quick test of the engine earth strap can be made by putting a jump lead between the battery -VE terminal and a metal part of the engine (on a sturdy bracket, or part of the casting), see if it makes any difference.

It might be worth doing that before going any further.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 11:10:34 PM by sparky Paul »

zeusmc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 01:04:17 PM »
As I say, because of lockdown, car has not been used, since March. I'll check out the things you mention.
Cheers.

zeusmc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 02:18:34 PM »
Your noise could be the starter motor solenoid clicking, it's down the front of the engine, behind the radiator.

If you are sure the battery is okay, next thing I would be checking is all the heavy cables between the alternator, battery and starter motor, and the earth straps. Make sure all the connections are secure, and there is no sign of burning, etc..

With no dash lights, check the battery earth cable, and pay particular attention to the main earth strap from the engine/gearbox to the chassis. A quick test of the engine earth strap can be made by putting a jump lead between the battery -VE terminal and a metal part of the engine (on a sturdy bracket, or part of the casting), see if it makes any difference.
Will get back to you, Friday, regards this. Thank you:)
It might be worth doing that before going any further.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 07:10:05 PM »
I think the battery is dead, try a jump start off another car, if it starts fine, the battery is dead, replace the battery, about £60.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 07:21:33 PM »
I think the battery is dead, try a jump start off another car, if it starts fine, the battery is dead, replace the battery, about £60.

+1

I agree - when a battery has been standing fully discharged for a long time there is no way back....

OP needs one of these

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx5054/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 10:14:42 PM »

That was my first thought, give it a jump off another car. Sounds like a knackered battery.

Tags:

anything