Author Topic: Blue Threadlocker  (Read 1612 times)

proxsteel

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2015
Blue Threadlocker
« on: July 11, 2019, 08:16:02 AM »
Is it okay to use blue threadlocker on spark plugs? I read a forum some plugs locker is not required. i confused now.

Jazz 2015 manual. (Thailand)

Help please.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

Dave H

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE
Re: Blue Threadlocker
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 08:40:16 AM »
In 50 years of motoring/motorcycling I have never used, or seen reference to using a thread lock on a spark plug. I believe even lubricating the threads on a spark plug is not advised.  No expert but I'd say no.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 08:40:34 AM »
Never use threadlock on spark plugs. You could strip the thread in the head and cause expensive damage.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 09:11:44 AM »
Absolutely agree, as Jocko says, Never, repeat Never use any form of locking sealant on spark plugs.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 09:28:24 AM »
Never use thread lock on spark plugs,  there is nothing trying to unscrew the plugs once they are in place, all they have to do is seal in combustion gasses. The problem with most plugs is getting them back out to replace them and thread locker will make that a lot harder and may damage the aluminium thread in cylinder head, and even shear the thin steel wall of the plug between heaxagon and thread...

Modern Iridium / Platinum plugs of a decent brand ( NGK, Denso for example) have a special coating on the threads to prevent them sticking even after many years ( most of them are good for 70,000 miles ).   

Do not be tempted to overtighten spark plugs 'to seal them better' as there is only a thin wall of steel between hexagon and thread and it can easily shear - then you really have a problem.......
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 09:31:49 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

proxsteel

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2015
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 11:44:09 AM »
I appreciate the replies. Okay. no thread lock or anti sieze..but what should be the torque? 13ft-lbs?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 02:09:33 PM »
I appreciate the replies. Okay. no thread lock or anti sieze..but what should be the torque? 13ft-lbs?

If they are new plugs have a crush gasket then hand tight and 1/2 turn will be fine - never used a torque wrench on a spark plug in my life - the torque setting and the 'hand tight + 1/2 turn' info is on the packaging that the plug came in, 10 to 14 ftlb normal for 14mm thread
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 04:25:48 PM »

If they are new plugs have a crush gasket then hand tight and 1/2 turn will be fine - never used a torque wrench on a spark plug in my life - the torque setting and the 'hand tight + 1/2 turn' info is on the packaging that the plug came in, 10 to 14 ftlb normal for 14mm thread

+1 ,never ever use thread lock on plugs ,you will have a lot of problems when you remove them, infact I do not like thead lock on any nut, had lots of problems in the past,so have binned it

Plasma.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 05:49:08 PM »
As a retired engineer I can say there are many assemblies where threadlocker is a must. Some use it prior to assembly, and others use the likes of Locktite 290, which is added after assembly and wicks between the threads.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 08:16:47 PM »
As  well as the usual purposes, i.e. as a thread lock, we also used to used it as a thread sealant in salt water areas of plant. A bit of heat to melt the studlock, and big bolts come undone a treat, instead of being rusted solid.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 03:49:57 PM »
Right.
If new, hand tight and 1/4 or 1/2 turn depending from the plug type, usually known brands write it on the plug package.
If used, hand tight and then 20-30 degrees of the wrench.
Never overtight, especially on aluminum heads.

Tags: