Author Topic: Any experience of Michelin Cross Climate tyres?  (Read 7358 times)

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Any experience of Michelin Cross Climate tyres?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 03:11:58 PM »
I'll see if I can find a YouTube video I watched a few months ago by a man who had fitted these to his Nissan Leaf - he was positively drooling over them. They had no adverse affect on the range of the car (critical in a low range EV like a 2015 Nissan Leaf), they provided good levels of grip and were quiet.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 03:41:27 PM »
John Ratsey has these fitted on his HR-V:
Engine noise is not a great issue, it is more tyre and road noise.
Some tyres are better than others for noise. A few months ago I replaced the Michelin Primacy tyres (which were getting towards needing replacement) on my HR-V with Michelin Cross-Climates which run more quietly, particularly on concrete surfaces.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 04:19:56 PM »
Brother has these on his Suzuki Grand Vitara and is happy with noise level, but has not been through a winter with any appreciable snow yet.  He got them because his car has the pressure sensors in each wheel, originally got Nokian WR D4 on steel rims but had such a faff trying to get system to accept other sensors that he gave steel wheels and tyres to his son ( who has a Vitara as well, but does not mind the continual warning light ) and got the Cross Climates - his car has 4 wheel drive so they will probably be OK, even if not as good as dedicated winter tyres.   We have steel wheels and Nokian WR D3 on our cars,  I wax and polish the alloys with summer tyres on up before storing them over winter and they come out in spring all shiny and new, if steel wheels looking a bit the worse for wear after winter they get a wash an a touch up with Hammerite.   Alloys take a pasting in winter, the salt really eats into anywhere it can get..

Tyre compounds have really improved in last 10 years and our winter Nokians ( after 4 winters October to March each year ) are still showing loads of tread.  The Nokians are actually quieter than the Michelin ES+ I had for summers before switching to Avon ZV7 on Civic and Avon ZT5 on Jazz ( 15" on Jazz ) and give a smooth ride.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 04:25:41 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

bosa

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 ES 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 07:42:26 PM »
Have the SUV version on my Hyundai Santa Fe but only since March so have not have had any experience of bad weather.  Impressions are quiet (apart from some wet roads and cornering hard) and great roadholding.  I would recommend them on a 4x4 but would only consider on my Jazz if I needed all weather cover which I might not.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 12:04:00 PM »
John Ratsey has these fitted on his HR-V:
They were flagged up in the Honest John long-term HR-V test as giving a better ride than the Primacy tyres fitted by Honda although I haven't noticed a significant difference in that respect. However, they are much quieter, particularly on concrete surfaces. I've had no issues with summer grip and I also like the prospect of the vehicle being a bit more sure-footed in the cold part of the year - I felt the Primacys were a bit lacking in that respect when I ventured out onto some snowy roads.

I'm wondering if there's a slight hit on the fuel economy as the sidewalls are a bit more flexible although with road conditions and weather also being significant factors in mpg it's difficult to be sure.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

cornishpasty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 ES 1.4iVTEC
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 01:10:07 PM »
I have cross climates plus fitted to a 2012 jazz. When new the steering felt odd, but after a 1000 or so miles , ok. The plus points. Potholes are absorbed better. Wet braking is superb. Road holding very good. Not noticed any change in MPG. The big minus is that the tyres are only available with a load rating of 88 on the 15 inch rims. The standard tyres have a load rating of 84. The result is a tyre designed for a much heavier car is not as compliant, and you feel every imperfection in road surfaces. But come any snow, I think these tyres will get me home, compared to summer tyres. I see that Continental now make an all season tyre for the 15 inch jazz rims with the correct load rating of 84 now, so maybe a better bet for ride quality. Who knows !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 01:49:00 PM »
Personally I would only think of cross climate type tyres if my car had the pressure sensors in the wheels ( like my brother had to on his Vitara) or if i didn't have room to store the wheels.  The winter tyre / steel wheel combination is much better, especially if you have room for a full size spare, as you canuse a winter as spare in summer and vice versa.  Your summer alloys stay pristine and you get better steering with summer tyres because of the circumferential ribs in the tread.  All seasons are a compromise which works for some,  but having used proper winter tyres on Jazz and Civic in snow in hilly Shropshire when the only other vehicles in sight were LandRover Defenders and tractors,  and seen supposed 4x4 vehicles ( with summer tyres i assume ) sitting there with wheels spinning but going nowhere - should have seen the shock on the driver face when a 'normal' two wheel drive car went past them - priceless....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 02:54:42 PM »
double post - no idea what happened
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 03:44:24 PM by culzean »

cornishpasty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 ES 1.4iVTEC
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 03:37:37 PM »
I don't understand why you would need pressure sensors for cross climate tyres. You just inflate them to the correct pressure as you would with any tyre.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 03:55:23 PM »
I don't understand why you would need pressure sensors for cross climate tyres. You just inflate them to the correct pressure as you would with any tyre.

Every vehicle made since about 2012 I think has had to have ( by law ) a system to monitor tyre pressure.

Honda ( except for 2015 models which for some reason used pressure sensors ) use ABS pulse Tyre Pressure Monitoring System ( indirect TPMS ) which counts the speed of ABS sensor pulses and can tell if a wheel is rotating faster than it should ( when tyre deflates the rolling radius - distance between centre of axle and road gets less, so wheel has to rotate faster to keep same road speed ).   With direct TPMS ( as was fitted to my brothers Suzuki Vitara ) there is a pressure sensor inside each tyre which transmits information to sensors on the car,  when he tried to change to steel wheels and proper Nokian winter tyres he had problems with finding suitable pressure sensors that would talk properly to the car electronics.  He eventually gave up and kept original Suzuki wheels fitted with Suzuki pressure sensors but had cross climate tyres fitted.

Look up TPMS in your Jazz handbook and it explains a bit about it,  mainly how to reset it when it puts a picture of a flat tyre on your cars display...

The ABS pulse based system has no ongoing costs for the owner,  the pressure sensor based system can get expensive as the sensors and batteries have a limited life and if you use the gunk to fix a puncture it burgers up the sensor.

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 04:05:35 PM »

Every vehicle made since about 2012 I think has had to have ( by law ) a system to monitor tyre pressure.

Honda ( except for 2015 models which for some reason used pressure sensors ) use ABS pulse Tyre Pressure Monitoring System ( indirect TPMS ) which counts the speed of ABS sensor pulses and can tell if a wheel is rotating faster than it should ( when tyre deflates the rolling radius - distance between centre of axle and road gets less, so wheel has to rotate faster to keep same road speed ).   With direct TPMS ( as was fitted to my brothers Suzuki Vitara ) there is a pressure sensor inside each tyre which transmits information to sensors on the car,  when he tried to change to steel wheels and proper Nokian winter tyres he had problems with finding suitable pressure sensors that would talk properly to the car electronics.  He eventually gave up and kept original Suzuki wheels fitted with Suzuki pressure sensors but had cross climate tyres fitted.

Look up TPMS in your Jazz handbook and it explains a bit about it,  mainly how to reset it when it puts a picture of a flat tyre on your cars display...

The ABS pulse based system has no ongoing costs for the owner,  the pressure sensor based system can get expensive as the sensors and batteries have a limited life and if you use the gunk to fix a puncture it burgers up the sensor.

So are you implying that the cross-climates would have a problem with Hondas rolling radius TPMS ? Any reason?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2019, 04:35:40 PM »
What culzean is saying is that with the Honda system you can switch between sets of wheels and tyres, summer and winter, as he does. With the other system you need a set of sensors in each set of wheels, making it a bit more expensive.

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2019, 05:35:11 PM »
What culzean is saying is that with the Honda system you can switch between sets of wheels and tyres, summer and winter, as he does. With the other system you need a set of sensors in each set of wheels, making it a bit more expensive.

Can't quite reconcile that with what he said:

"Personally I would only think of cross climate type tyres if my car had the pressure sensors in the wheels"

For people who don't change wheels in winter there is no reason against cross-climate tyres with the Honda system... or is there?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2019, 05:42:08 PM »
For people who don't change wheels in winter there is no reason against cross-climate tyres with the Honda system... or is there?
No reason at all.

Tags: