Author Topic: A dirty back end!  (Read 1045 times)

orcadian

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz SE
A dirty back end!
« on: December 18, 2019, 07:39:59 PM »
As has been reported before, the Sunset Orange on the Mk3 doesn’t show dirt quite as bad as some other colours but due to the ‘Camm Tail’ shape, the tailgate and rear end get really dirty in this weather.  I see that Cox motor parts have what are (in my view) laughingly called mud flaps.  Has anyone any experience of these?  I would really like something at the rear a bit more substantial than what’s on offer.  Cosmetics are less important than function for me these days.

Ian

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: A dirty back end!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 08:47:43 PM »
I took mine to a hand car wash today to give it a rare Christmas treat!  They did a very good job, including washing the wheels properly by hand, but as you say, in this weather it will soon be mucky again.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 08:15:03 AM »
I see that Cox motor parts have what are (in my view) laughingly called mud flaps.

I always thought that mud flaps were intended to reduce the amount of muck thrown at following vehicles by your own rear wheels, and do nothing to prevent the accumulation of grime on your own car. The blunt back end of  any “2-box” design (ie all hatchbacks and vans, including the Jazz) is going to attract muck whatever appendages you add.

Pedants corner: Wikipedia has a fascinating discussion about “Kammback” vs “Camm tail” as applied to car styling, and what cars do or don’t qualify. Personally, I don’t think you can really say the Jazz has a Camm tail; the piddly little lip at the rear of the roof line is a nod towards that but the car lacks the characteristic recessed transom. I suspect that at high speed the lip helps keep the muck off the rear of the car, but at lower speeds it might make the problem worse.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 03:12:10 PM »
As a Mk1 owner I am surprised at how the back end stays fairly clean. This is a photograph I took today, after an 80 mile trip of mainly motorway/dual carriageway driving, with a few miles of country roads to make up the balance. It was a miserable day with filthy dirty roads, and tons of HGVs.
The car is dirty, embarrassingly so, but it has covered almost 3,500 of again, mainly motorway/dual carriageway driving since the last time it was washed. Compared to other vehicles I see on the road, the back end of the Mk1 stays remarkably clean.

Tags: