Author Topic: Fuel Warning Light  (Read 32036 times)

apjazz

Re: Fuel Warning Light
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 03:15:00 PM »
I agree that the warning light is only a warning of low fuel level and it depends on the car use between fills as to how much faith can be put in it.
However noting miles covered per fill (my way - always to full, same method - 3 stops on pump) will give each driver an idea of true range.
I have always kept a note of fuel usage in my cars since with the modern car it is just about the only 'health' monitor available to the normal user.
On my 6 month old Jazz 1.4 EX the warning light comes on at an average of 31 miles remaining and 361 since fill. The 'range' should then be 392.
When filling the car my average fill and trip reading is 31.87 litres for 321 miles, which taking the mpl with a 42 litre tank should give a range of 423 miles.
The maximum I have decided to travel since fill up is 390 miles.
My wife's 1.4 ES has average fill is 34.12 litres for 355 miles, which taking the mpl with a 42 litre tank should give a range of 437 miles. She normally does about 50 miles after warning light prior to fill, a bit variable this part!
(My 2008 Jazz average fill and trip reading was 32.66 litres for 318 miles, which taking the mpl with a 42 litre tank should give a range of 409 miles.)
Hope this is useful.

apjazz

Re: Fuel Warning Light from Honda Karma - graph missing
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 03:54:10 PM »
This affects all these chassis code for all Model Years
 Jazz GE6, GE8, GG1, GG2, GG3, GG4, GG5, GG6

Background
In response to customer comments of inaccurate fuel level display in particular with Jazz models this bulletin aims to provide more details of the operating principle of the fuel level gauge and also the i-MID remaining distance display. Customer comments may include that the low fuel indicator came on too early, when refuelling it was not possible to add more than 30 litres when refuelling or it was possible to drive the vehicle some distance even after low fuel indicator came on with zero km remaining range indicated.

The reported symptoms can occur on a healthy vehicle due to the vehicle and fuel tank design when considering the following items;
 - The effect of fuel movement in the tank during driving
 - Tolerance of the components measuring the fuel quantity
 - Prevention of fuel flow-back during refuelling
 - Design specification requiring the vehicle to be driven for a minimum length of time, under varied driving conditions, after the low fuel indicator illuminates.

Symptom 1
 The Customer was unable to add more than approx 30 litres after the low fuel indicator came on.

Specifications for the low fuel indicator
 - Approx 10 litres of fuel could remain in the fuel tank when the low fuel indicator comes on.
 - When refueling at a fuel station, the auto stop function on the pump nozzle works when the fuel amount in the tank reaches approx 40 litres. If refueling is stopped when the auto stop first engages, the total fuel amount could be 2 litres less than its total tank capacity of 42 litres.

As described above, it is possible for the tank to be full after only approx 30 litres of fuel has been added when the low fuel indicator has come on.

Symptom 2
 Complaint 2: Customer was able to drive some distance after the MID range display shows zero miles remaining.

Specification
i-MID (multi information display) displays 0 miles as the range (estimated distance) when the fuel gauge indicates E (Empty). However, approx 7.5L fuel could still remain in the fuel tank. Depending upon the conditions further driving is possible on the remaining quantity of fuel but cannot be guaranteed and is not advisable.

i-MID Remaining Range Calculation
 Fuel remaining amount is calculated by deducting the amount of fuel injected from the initial fuel amount in the tank right after refueling.

Refuelling judgement method
 Refuelling is judged to have been carried out when the tank becomes full or the amount of fuel in the tank has increased by at least 5 Litres.
 When refuelling is judged to have been carried out the remaining range is initially estimated using the calculation table line (A). During driving the most appropriate calculation table is chosen depending upon the fuel economy after driving a certain distance (examples B) and the range is then recalculated. This process will continue as the fuel quantity decreases and the remaining range will be seen to fluctuate up and down depending upon the driving conditions.
Jazz Fuel levels.
 Once the low fuel indicator comes on (C), the calculation table in use at that time is maintained, even though the actual fuel consumption may change and
 the remaining distance will reduce to zero at the point the gauge reaches the "Empty" position. Once the remaining distance has reached zero a
 reserve quantity remains in the tank and further driving may be possible but this is not advisable.

Diagnostic Procedure
 Should reported symptoms differ from those described above carry out the following checks to confirm correct operation;
 Gauge Module Check
 Fuel Sender Unit Test

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Fuel Warning Light from Honda Karma - graph missing
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 10:33:48 PM »
Symptom 2
 Complaint 2: Customer was able to drive some distance after the MID range display shows zero miles remaining.

Specification
i-MID (multi information display) displays 0 miles as the range (estimated distance) when the fuel gauge indicates E (Empty). However, approx 7.5L fuel could still remain in the fuel tank. Depending upon the conditions further driving is possible on the remaining quantity of fuel but cannot be guaranteed and is not advisable.
So the effective fuel tank capacity is (nominal capacity - 7.5L).

Honda need to provide either more accurate fuel measurement or larger fuel tanks. Given all the clever technology in the car the accurate measurement of fuel remaining shouldn't be a big challenge.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 02:22:15 PM »
I've got that Service Bulletin somewhere.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2014, 04:10:07 PM »
Sorry to re-awaken this old chestnut.
I have now given up on the 'distance to go to refuel' function as it is wildly estimating on the 'safe' side.
When the 'distance to go' reaches zero there is still 8 to 10 litres of fuel in the tank, about 100 miles, this not just on a one off occasion but repeatedly. I have de-selected the readout as that is something less to distract me.
The 'low fuel' light is as inaccurate but is generally the indication I take note of.
I know the fuel consumption reading is slightly optimistic but I can compare that to the 'A' reading trip which I have set to automatically zero when I refuel.
I believe that there is too much selectable information available on modern cars which takes pages in the handbook to describe and is largely ignored.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2014, 09:46:50 PM »
I believe that there is too much selectable information available on modern cars which takes pages in the handbook to describe and is largely ignored.
Vic.

I believe there is just too much selectable, unnecessary, distracting information in life these days - period. 

http://sniffpetrol.com/2014/10/29/ford-announces-eyes-free-technology/#.VFX2yjmpiUk

Just keep an eye on the fuel gauge and fill up in plenty of time.  I would rather that the fuel warning light erred on the side of having more fuel than to come on when there is only a litre left.  If everyone drove smoothly and carefully maybe the MPG and miles to go could be more accurate,  but some people drive like Miss Daisy and some like Lewis Hamilton,  and this affects the accuracy of the MPG and miles to go readings.   I reset the 'A' trip every time I refuel and watch the mpg until I refuel again,  this is how I compare the different mpg that premium and super octane can give you (subject to ambient temperature)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 09:19:09 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 03:46:08 PM »
Vic.

Why do I need to know my average speed ? What do I do to increase it, drive like a maniac? On todays roads there are too many influencing factors ?

Why do I need to know my journey time, it is what it is ?

The instantaneous readout of fuel consumption, the continually changing bar graph thingy, is fascinating and very sensitive but must be studied continuously to be of any use improving your fuel consumption. That makes it distracting and therefore dangerous.

The readout of distance to go to next refuel is grossly inaccurate and influenced by short periods of hard acceleration when the readout can reduce by as much as 80 miles after, for example, you have accelerated hard to join a motorway. The readout isn't averaged properly.

The mpg readout is useful as long as accept that you have to knock a couple of mpg off to get a reasonably accurate figure. My actual consumption is about 50mpg so I know I can do about 450 miles on a tankful if push came to shove. Half a tank indicated is about 200 miles recorded.

Vic.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 02:13:51 PM »
Vic.

Why do I need to know my average speed ? What do I do to increase it, drive like a maniac? On todays roads there are too many influencing factors ?

Why do I need to know my journey time, it is what it is ?

The instantaneous readout of fuel consumption, the continually changing bar graph thingy, is fascinating and very sensitive but must be studied continuously to be of any use improving your fuel consumption. That makes it distracting and therefore dangerous.

The readout of distance to go to next refuel is grossly inaccurate and influenced by short periods of hard acceleration when the readout can reduce by as much as 80 miles after, for example, you have accelerated hard to join a motorway. The readout isn't averaged properly.

The mpg readout is useful as long as accept that you have to knock a couple of mpg off to get a reasonably accurate figure. My actual consumption is about 50mpg so I know I can do about 450 miles on a tankful if push came to shove. Half a tank indicated is about 200 miles recorded.

Vic.

I agree with almost everything in this post.

If you really monitored and studied all the info available to you, you would soon be rear ending the car in front. Is it simply the triumph of the techie guys who dream up new stuff so it automatically gets added on?

What's more annoying, I find myself looking at these read outs!

Speedo, rev counter and fuel guage are all you need plus the odd warning light for brakes and oil etc.

emmerdale

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX 2013
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 03:07:44 PM »
It seems to apply to whatever you buy today,manufacturers seem to think that more bells,buttons switches and options can be squeezed in is the way forward I can't agree with them,look at TV a remote for TV,one for Soundbar one for recorder one for sky box where does it end ..

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 03:43:44 PM »
I know the readings are rubbish..
I know I can do nowt about them.

I drive with a blank digital display.
Simples...

(they are there of course for motoring journalists to compare with other cars. There is no useful purpose as the mpg figures in mine are 10% optimistic...)

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 06:28:55 PM »
This is all you need (from back when life was simpler):

Speedo, odometer, fuel gauge and warning lights for oil, battery charge, high beam and indicators.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2014, 01:36:12 PM »
This is all you need (from back when life was simpler):

Speedo, odometer, fuel gauge and warning lights for oil, battery charge, high beam and indicators.

My 1946 Rover 16 had:
Speedo, odometer, fuel gauge (which also doubled as an oil level gauge). oil  pressure gauge, ammeter, high beam, indicators.

And absolutely no electronics apart from a capacitor in the ignition system

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2014, 01:57:33 PM »
(which also doubled as an oil level gauge). oil  pressure gauge, ammeter

That's 3 gauges worry meters too many.

Go to shows that not much changed really between 1946 and 1972.

This information overload must have started gathering pace in the early 1980s.

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2014, 01:59:47 PM »
Thank goodness we have moved on from then.
Ok, I agree that cars have now got too clever for their own good and it's a pain if you have to pay through the nose for a diagnostic hook up, but it's nice to have some of the modern comforts we have today.
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

guest4871

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2014, 02:25:47 PM »
Thank goodness we have moved on from then.
Ok, I agree that cars have now got too clever for their own good and it's a pain if you have to pay through the nose for a diagnostic hook up, but it's nice to have some of the modern comforts we have today.

I do miss the floor mounted headlight dip switch but, as you say, probably better to now have headlights I need to dip!

Tags: