Author Topic: Wheel stud replacement!  (Read 1584 times)

jazzy_g

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2017
Wheel stud replacement!
« on: February 24, 2021, 08:11:29 PM »
Hi all,

So my front passenger side wheel had a stud snap off today when removing the lug nut to change the tyre. It's a 2017 Jazz, 1.3.

I've got a new stud on order from Honda, so plenty of time to decide what to do next.

Just wondering: has anyone replaced a stud themselves, or had it done at a garage?

Do you have any insight into how easy or not a broken stud is to remove, or the new replacement stud is to install?

G

Happyarry

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
Re: Wheel stud replacement!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 02:33:53 PM »
You don't say what expertise you have. There's a video on You tube "wheel stud removal and replacement (complete guide)" if you've never done one.

Hope that helps.

Harry

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 03:07:49 PM »
Front ones are rarely a straightforward job.

Fitting a new stud isn't a particularly difficult job, but the access you need to the rear of the hub often means removing the driveshaft and hub from the hub carrier, and fitting a new wheel bearing on reassembly.

If you are very lucky, there may be enough room to slip the new stud in past the carrier. I seem to remember that another member on here managed to do that with a little help from an angle grinder to slightly 'modify' the shape of the hub carrier casting and the stud flange - I think that was a mk2 Jazz, if I remember correctly. I don't recall anybody on here tackling the job on a mk3 yet.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 03:09:21 PM by sparky Paul »

jazzy_g

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 02:53:19 PM »
Thanks a lot folks - I've got the part and will take it into the garage next week.

I'll report back on how it goes!

If anyone else has encountered this in the meantime I'd still be interested to hear how you got on!

jazzy_g

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 02:41:53 PM »
Hi folks,

Reporting back as promised.

I didn't get the chance to chat to the mechanic in detail with covid and all, but the replacement was smooth and done in a morning. £60 labour in total (I was braced for worse!)

I can only assume that access isn't so much of an issue on the MK3 as it is in the MK2.

Cheers for the replies to the post,

G

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 04:10:35 PM »
Good news, and useful reference for other mark 3 owners.  ;)

Tags: