Author Topic: Spare wheel  (Read 1075 times)

TonyO

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: SE 2016 1.3 manual
Spare wheel
« on: March 03, 2021, 09:32:07 AM »
Hi folks. New member and this is my first post. I recently bought a 2016 Jazz and I'm delighted with the car. Can anyone tell me if a space saver spare wheel will fit in the boot floor without leaving a bulge in the floor mat? Many thanks.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
Re: Spare wheel
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 11:54:55 AM »
Hi Tony
There are threads on spare wheels, what will and won't work etc, search the various year range sections.
I recently got a 2018 and have put a spacesaver spare in it for various reasons.
First double check what size wheel/tyre combo it should use. I eventually found that my 2018 should use a T135/80-D15 , some other sizes have been used in different versions. I suspect your 2016 will be the same but you need to check. Late Mk3 cars (2019?) actually had the boot floor altered so it won't take a spare, but that's not a problem for you. I found a handful of this size wheel on fleabay, typically around £40ish for something tidy.

Some people have used spares from other cars but you need to check that the centre spigot location diameter is correct, they vary (plus the stud spacing and possibly offset).

You'll need a hold-down bolt of some description to retain it in the well. I picked up a brand new polystyrene insert for a 15" wheel with a jack and tools from fleabay, it wasn't for a Jazz but it worked although I altered the jack top to suit the Jazz jacking points so I wouldn't recommend the version I used, but you can find stuff to suit.
Then you need to rig up some sort of support for the boot floor mat, it isn't stiff enough unless supported from below. People have devised different solutions, I made a plywood "wedge" arrangement with a hinged lid to sit on top of the spare wheel and support the floor mat, but it can be a bit of a fiddly project.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 05:10:33 PM »
Hi folks. New member and this is my first post. I recently bought a 2016 Jazz and I'm delighted with the car. Can anyone tell me if a space saver spare wheel will fit in the boot floor without leaving a bulge in the floor mat? Many thanks.
If you are set on a spacesaver, there is plenty of room but you will need to find a way of supporting the boot floor, because you have to remove the original polystyrene structure.  Lots of good ideas in this forum, or you can do what I did and cough up £200 for the Honda conversion kit (including the wheel and tyre).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 06:01:49 PM by Downsizer »

Johnocyprus

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT, 2007 CRV EX, 2022 C125 SuperCub, 2003 Izzy
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 07:43:31 AM »
Even better get a second hand full size alloy which will fit in nicely.
Lots of previous threads on his.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 01:33:07 PM »
Even better get a second hand full size alloy which will fit in nicely.
Lots of previous threads on his.

I agree. If you don't have the later shallow wheel well, a full size matching alloy has to be a good idea.

TonyO

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: SE 2016 1.3 manual
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 02:19:44 PM »
Many thanks for the advice. Having taken it all on board and read through previous discussions I think the full size alloy looks like the best solution. Absolutely love the car.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 02:39:25 PM »
Many thanks for the advice. Having taken it all on board and read through previous discussions I think the full size alloy looks like the best solution.

A used alloy will probably cost a bit more than a space saver, but it's certainly a lot more practical, and safer to use.

It may make the difference between having to find an open garage ASAP, or being able to continue your journey home.

jaytee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 es
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 07:19:53 PM »
i got fullsize spare plus tyre on ebay for less than £100 they are out there,less than spacesaver and more practical

Tags:

anything