Author Topic: Not enough leg room  (Read 2155 times)

Johnocyprus

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT, 2007 CRV EX, 2022 C125 SuperCub, 2003 Izzy
Not enough leg room
« on: February 17, 2021, 06:43:07 PM »
I find the leg room in the front passenger seat of our 2018 SE very limited. I’m not especially tall 6’1” and am surprised that I haven’t found any similar comments on the forum. Is it possible to extend the leg room by adjusting the runners or any other comments welcome please.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Not enough leg room
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 11:17:32 AM »
This is a strange one John. I have heard the odd comment about lack of driver legroom in the Mk3 but not about any of the other models.

I seem to recall a comment about this on a Which review of the car. I'm 6' and find the legroom ample to the point that I don't have the seat all the way back. I'm wondering if this is an issue with how people like to sit - some people like a straight leg position and that could be an issue.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 12:46:08 PM »
I find the leg room in the front passenger seat of our 2018 SE very limited. I’m not especially tall 6’1” and am surprised that I haven’t found any similar comments on the forum. Is it possible to extend the leg room by adjusting the runners or any other comments welcome please.
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=7802.msg37613#msg37613
I seem to remember someone saying that they had solved the problem by lowering the seat.

Jon R

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 01:04:09 PM »
Hi John. I am Disabled, and movement of my left leg has made operation of clutch very difficult, hence, my Mk 3 Sport is CVT.  Being my first Jazz, which has ample legroom for my 6"2 hefty frame, I have found that left knee was just a tad uncomfortable while resting on the 'dead' pedal to the left of the foot well. I explored the possibility of modifying the seat rails to enable the drivers seat to move back about an inch, which I thought, would have been perfect. There are  members of the US based FitFreek? site who have posted videos on how to do this, but due to my cars existing warranty, I decided against it. Please also be aware that your cars' insurance cover may be void if you do such a modification. End satisfactory result for me, is that got my drivers seat rails replaced by a registered Car adaptive controls company only 2 miles from where I live. Cost was not cheap, even with VAT exemption: £400!
Drivers seat now moves back a further 3 inches, and retains full forward and recline standard positions. Insurance company were notified, and I did not incur any additional cost, good luck!

cornishpasty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 ES 1.4iVTEC
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 01:38:31 PM »
You did well there. Especially as your insurers are happy with the work. And you didn't have to do it yourself.

Jon R

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 01:46:13 PM »
Yes, forgot to mention that seat still retains full up/down adjustment as before, but I have mine on lowest, so I don't clout my head when entering! The modification company will change back to standard rails F.O.C., if and when required.

Johnocyprus

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT, 2007 CRV EX, 2022 C125 SuperCub, 2003 Izzy
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 10:57:53 AM »
Apologies I should have made clear that the problem is solely with the front passenger leg room. Many thanks to all who replied. I hadn’t realised that the driver’s set had height adjustment, I’m still working through the 400 page manual, am still struggling with the radio! Slightly off topic I recently sold a 1960 Frogeye Sprite with the original owners manual - all 16 pages of it.
Back to the front passenger seat the best that can be done to to recline the seat more than I would do normally and this provides more leg room however I do miss the leg room of our Mk 1 Jazz.
Apart from this relatively minor issue we’re bowled over with the MK 3 Jazz, such an underrated car.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 11:09:26 AM »
My wife has the front passenger seat all the way back and she is only 5'7". You could get a large Alsatian at her feet. The MK1 has tons of legroom.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 11:23:58 AM »
I think that Honda moved the Mk 3 seats forward slightly relative to the previous version in order to be able to flat fold the rear seats without removing the head rests. When the Mk 3 was launched Honda claimed that there was more rear seat legroom than some Mercedes saloon!
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 12:03:00 PM »
I think it also happened from the mk1 to mk2.

I'm fairly long legged, but I find the mk1 no problem at all - in fact I have to have the seat a couple of notches forward of the back stop. The mk2 however, I have to have the seat all the way back to be comfortable.

I don't think there is as much intrusion into the passenger footwell on the mk1 either.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2021, 12:19:28 PM »
Apologies I should have made clear that the problem is solely with the front passenger leg room. Many thanks to all who replied. I hadn’t realised that the driver’s set had height adjustment, I’m still working through the 400 page manual, am still struggling with the radio! Slightly off topic I recently sold a 1960 Frogeye Sprite with the original owners manual - all 16 pages of it.
Back to the front passenger seat the best that can be done to to recline the seat more than I would do normally and this provides more leg room however I do miss the leg room of our Mk 1 Jazz.
Apart from this relatively minor issue we’re bowled over with the MK 3 Jazz, such an underrated car.

Just reread your post and you did make it clear. My bad.

My wife has the seat further back than me and she is only 5' 1" - it looks like it is an issue.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2021, 04:09:52 PM »
It's not uncommon for manufacturers to put ECUs under the passenger toeboard. I don't know if this is the case with the Jazz, but I must admit I have thought the legroom is a bit mean on the passenger side, though I haven't actually been driven in it yet. A friend has a Merc SLC (latest version of the SLK) and that is similar, really not enough legroom for the type of car.

Jen

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2008 1.4 manual
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 03:07:03 PM »
I bough a new jazz last June. I must admit l have found it tighter to get in. I have also noticed that my parking sensors are have switched off without knowing. I am wondering if l have inadvertently knocked  them with my knee when getting in or out. l have just had a practise at getting in on the passenger seat as l am having a hip replacement next month. Definitely not the same amount of space there was than in my 2008 jazz.

Tags: