Author Topic: Would You Buy Another Mk4  (Read 35443 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Would You Buy Another Mk4
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2021, 05:46:45 PM »
 I'll take your word for it,  as long as when I press the loud pedal .......... :)
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2021, 06:28:40 PM »
Just watched the e-CVT video. Superb. As an engineer myself, I can really appreciate how clearly he put the whole thing across. I'll need to look out for more of his stuff.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2021, 07:44:50 PM »
Interesting. I knew an engineer who worked in the USA more than twenty years ago and wryly pointed out that back then it was a highly respected profession compared with the UK where the attitude was that engineers were misfits. Far better studying a completely useless PPE degree where you were guaranteed a job somewhere by someone to do something completely unproductive. Things may well have changed 'back in the USSA'.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 11:40:45 PM by MartinJG »

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2021, 07:04:15 PM »
 I would not buy again.
Main reason is that only the drivers seat is height adjustable and I did not realise the passenger seat is not. As we need the extra height for both seats as they were in the HRV, this would have been a deal breaker. Very annoyed when I found out that it was not adjustable as it is very hard to get in and out of the car when you are getting on a bit.
Honda's penny pinching strikes elsewhere also.
Cheap and nasty plastic wheel trims covering cheap looking alloy wheels.
No auto dimming rear-view interior mirror.
Passenger mirror does not dip when reversing.
All the above were supplied in our 5 year old HRV EX but not in our brand new Jazz i-mmd EX.
If you want a decent light in the boot, Honda want £50 for an LED. All it needs is a change of bulb to LED. Why this is necessary when all other lights on the vehicle are LED, I'll never know.
Contrary to advertising information. it should have a rear seat arm rest and a tonneau. but they don't seem to exist.
I realise that there is always a need to compromise but I expected an EX Jazz to have  at least most of the same accessories as a 5 year old HRV.
I still think it is a lovely car to drive but can't help thinking I have made an expensive mistake.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 07:08:21 PM by stiggysawdust »
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

Cobb2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2021, 11:20:21 PM »
I agree with you Stiggy that there is some penny pinching and there are always comprises but an auto dim mirror and a dipping passenger mirror can be overcome manually. Perhaps a low passenger seat can be overcome with a cushion of some sort and the wheels which are a bit strange ,I agree, could have been upgraded for a different design but at a significant cost. In fact one of several reasons why I chose a Crosstar was because of the wheels as well as several other factors but was disappointed it did not have the rear traffic warning and heated steering wheel as on the standard EX. I'm not up with all the specs on your previous HRV but I guess there are several things in your new car that were not on that, but most of all I suspect the drive and the economy are significantly better. So maybe you have not made an expensive mistake.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2021, 06:55:16 AM »
I have issues with accessing cars (yesterday I parked alongside a high kerb and I was almost lying on my back trying to get back in). I would never buy a car without checking how easy it is to access and if my other half, and regular passenger, had problems I think I would make sure she could get in and out of the passenger seat with ease before buying.
Your HR-V's other niceties had that the new Jazz/Crosstar hasn't should have been checked on a first look or at least by checking the brochure.

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2021, 08:44:16 PM »
I have issues with accessing cars (yesterday I parked alongside a high kerb and I was almost lying on my back trying to get back in). I would never buy a car without checking how easy it is to access and if my other half, and regular passenger, had problems I think I would make sure she could get in and out of the passenger seat with ease before buying.
Your HR-V's other niceties had that the new Jazz/Crosstar hasn't should have been checked on a first look or at least by checking the brochure.

The long list of what the Jazz has makes it difficult to notice what is missing either by looking at a brochure or during a test drive unless are prepared to spend a long time checking for things that I expect to be included. Losing some of the things that were on my 5 year old HRV feels like I have gone back in time.
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2021, 10:08:57 PM »
Now, I won't buy a new guitar, a TV, or phone, without a half hour or so searching Google for info. I would certainly spend a day or two before spending £20K+ on a car.
The Jazz brochure has two pages with all the specs of what you get and what model you get it on.

I have also downloaded the manual for the Jazz/Crosstar as well as the Honda e and MG5, all of which are on my radar.
It is hardly an onerous task.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2021, 05:13:17 AM »
I'm also looking more carefully at what is missing.

As already posted I also find it hard to fathom why the top of the range Jazz has a manual dipping mirror.

Given Covid I think I'll just look at them next month and delay the test drive until the summer. Assuming that showroom access is still available.
Let's be careful out there !

ndavey1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR 2020
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2021, 11:22:50 AM »
I had auto dimming mirror on my 13 year old Peugeot 207. I can’t say that I really miss this on my jazz. There are more than enough stand out features that make up for it. The only thing that I don’t like at the moment is that making trips in this weather the engine is constantly running. Other than the fuel economy, I don’t like that the battery goes to full charge and then keeps charging for the whole drive. This surely is bad for the battery and will reduce lifetime performance. I find myself hard accelerating to use some of the battery and then turning heating off. Not ideal for fuel economy or comfort.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2021, 02:54:27 PM »
It won’t try and charge the battery when full. In D there is very little regen anyway.

ndavey1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR 2020
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2021, 03:57:59 PM »
It won’t try and charge the battery when full. In D there is very little regen anyway.
That’s what I thought but the graphic still kept showing the green lines going into the battery. If I accelerated hard and the battery went down by a bar, the next braking or rolling I did put it back to full. I don’t even charge my phone past 80%, so a bit worrying.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2021, 04:48:20 PM »
That’s what I thought but the graphic still kept showing the green lines going into the battery. If I accelerated hard and the battery went down by a bar, the next braking or rolling I did put it back to full. I don’t even charge my phone past 80%, so a bit worrying.
I think you are overthinking this. You should not have to actively manage the charge in your battery - in your car or your phone. They have systems built in to do that themselves. On your vehicle, the green lines going in to your battery when on full charge will most likely just be to indicate flow direction rather than tell you there is actual charging going on. My Toyota is exactly the same. Just let the car do it's thing and concentrate on driving is my mantra.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2021, 04:52:40 PM »
I think, in line with other electric vehicle manufacturers, 100% on the gauge will be 80% at the battery.

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2021, 04:57:20 PM »
Had a Jazz loan car while my Mk 3 CVT was in for it's MOT. Only did about 30 miles but some of that was in town, some on a dual carriageway. Drove just like my Jazz except that if you floored the pedal it did accelerate much better and having it in B was really useful as the regen braking was sufficient in light traffic.

A nice car to drive, but, on a financial point I can see the point of part-exing my 2016 car for the Mk4, Maybe in a few years time when ex PCP ones come on the market the financial costs will seem better to me.

Tags: