Author Topic: Would You Buy Another Mk4  (Read 35435 times)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: Would You Buy Another Mk4
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2021, 07:15:23 PM »
I agree with John A.  Apart from anything else, we would lose the benefit of the £30 road tax on our Mk 3’s.  The fuel saving argument depends on mileage covered, which at the moment is negligible!  I shall keep my Mk 3 for another couple of years - I like to get to around 70,000 before changing.

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2021, 07:20:23 PM »
Now, I won't buy a new guitar, a TV, or phone, without a half hour or so searching Google for info. I would certainly spend a day or two before spending £20K+ on a car.
The Jazz brochure has two pages with all the specs of what you get and what model you get it on.

I have also downloaded the manual for the Jazz/Crosstar as well as the Honda e and MG5, all of which are on my radar.
It is hardly an onerous task.

I was fully aware of all the detail in the brochure and the online manual and I spent hours and hours trying to decide which make and model of which car to buy but I still missed the fact that the passenger seat is not height adjustable and is set  very low.
So I made a mistake and I have to live with it but the answer to the original question is NO, I would not buy another. End of.
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2021, 02:43:07 PM »
Just before lockdown I called into my local showroom to look at a Mk4 Jazz.  As soon as my wife sat in it she said it feels as if I am sat on the floor.  So I got in the passenger seat and it does feel excessively low.  Perhaps we have just got used to jacked up seats in a small SUV.  Unfortunately they didn't have a Crosstar in the showroom for comparison.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 04:38:35 PM by Pine »

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2021, 03:56:02 PM »
Yeah, even the Crosstar feels very low as a passenger compared to my old eZS SUV.

It feels right as a driver though, so I think it is just the seat height adjust that makes a difference.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2021, 04:10:29 PM »
I wonder if a LHD seat could be ordered and fitted as that would be adjustable.
Let's be careful out there !

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2021, 10:17:21 PM »
Why do you think they don’t fit a height adjustable passenger seat? They have the seat from left hand drive versions so why not fit it and make both seats adjustable like almost all manufacturers do. It seems such a silly omission from what is a premium priced car and is just one more reason why potential buyers will think twice - like the non dipping mirror etc. Seems questionable marketing to lose sales for such minor items specially because you cannot even spec it as a paid for add-on.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2021, 03:56:28 AM »
Designed by accountants.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2021, 07:11:09 AM »
I remember reading Arthur Hailey's book "Wheels" (1971), set around the US motor manufacturing industry. In there it was explaining how a penny saved here and a penny saved there, a stiffening ridge removed from a panel, a simpler seat design, over the production lifetime of a model, comes to a great deal of money for the motor manufacturer.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2021, 07:35:50 AM »
I remember reading Arthur Hailey's book "Wheels" (1971), set around the US motor manufacturing industry. In there it was explaining how a penny saved here and a penny saved there, a stiffening ridge removed from a panel, a simpler seat design, over the production lifetime of a model, comes to a great deal of money for the motor manufacturer.
But if they lose just one sale because of the penny pinching ??

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2021, 07:37:24 AM »
It doesn't matter. They will sell the car to someone else. It is the dealer who feels the pinch.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2021, 07:41:52 AM »
Why do you think they don’t fit a height adjustable passenger seat? They have the seat from left hand drive versions so why not fit it and make both seats adjustable like almost all manufacturers do. It seems such a silly omission from what is a premium priced car and is just one more reason why potential buyers will think twice - like the non dipping mirror etc. Seems questionable marketing to lose sales for such minor items specially because you cannot even spec it as a paid for add-on.
Manufacturers want you to buy the most expensive car they can sell you because there’s more profit in that. So if they can nudge you towards a different, bigger, model by leaving some toys out of their smaller cars, why wouldn’t they?

Regarding the Jazz generally being lower, most of those comments seem to come from people who have traded-down from taller cars such as SUVs. Of course the seats will be lower, it’s a lower car. We noticed this when switching from our previous Scenic to the Jazz. Soon got used to it though, and the lower profile contributes to the better mpg. Anyone with medical reasons for needing a higher seating position probably shouldn’t be looking at the Jazz.

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2021, 08:23:37 AM »
@ColinB: Of course I can only speak for myself but I previously owned an EX and one of the reasons I bought it was that the passenger seat height was adjustable.  The current range does not offer that, therefore I would look for a different car.

@jocko: Your logic is flawed. The car that I just declined at the dealers needs to be sold to someone else, who would have bought the car in any case.  So Honda/The dealer sell one car instead of two.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2021, 09:25:56 AM »
@jocko: Your logic is flawed. The car that I just declined at the dealers needs to be sold to someone else, who would have bought the car in any case.  So Honda/The dealer sell one car instead of two.
The dealer may have lost a sale, but if Honda builds 10,000,000 of the new Jazz they sell 10,000,000 of them. Someone somewhere will buy it.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2021, 09:42:18 AM »
Over the years I have had 4 Ex Jazz cars and none of them have had an adjustable height passenger seat.
I joined the Jazz scene, having driven Landrover vehicles of various sorts for many years,  so for me, even the drivers seat, with full height adjustment, seemed too low.

My solution was to make up  a set of spacers, with longer fixing bolts, to raise the seat still further.
So, my seat is 25mm higher than normal at the back and 20mm at the front, which for me is much more comfortable.
When I trade in the car, the spacers are removed and transferred to the next car.

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2021, 11:57:33 AM »
The dealer may have lost a sale, but if Honda builds 10,000,000 of the new Jazz they sell 10,000,000 of them. Someone somewhere will buy it.
It is market driven.  Look at the extreme, if they produced a car without a passenger seat at all and sales were down, would they still run 10,000,000 off the production line?  I don't think so.

Tags:

anything