Author Topic: Fuel  (Read 2804 times)

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
Fuel
« on: September 04, 2016, 08:56:45 AM »
Hi
Has anyone used REDEX or something similar in the Jazz and is it worth doing?
Thanks

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Fuel
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 09:23:27 AM »
I think it depends on the miles done and how they were driven ( mostly town or distance ie motorway).
It is my belief that fuel burns a lot cleaner nowadays than it did when I first started driving.
So how much is a bottle of redex? One thing is for sure if used correctly it won't do any harm.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 01:49:14 PM »
Redex is always worth doing,  it dissolves the varnish and gunge that gets left behind by dinosaur fuel - I use it in Jazz and Civic every so often,  but put it in my petrol mower and motorbike every tank,  I used to have trouble starting my bike after it had stood unused for a while (over coldest part of winter) also bike would not tick-over very well once it had started but since having redex in petrol it starts first or second push of starter and idles well,   same with petrol mower which simply would not start after standing,  now it virtually leaps into life.  I saw our neighbour swearing at his mower took the redex over and put some in the tank, primed it and pulled it over a few times to get petrol into carb, told him to leave it a few minutes and do it again - it started OK,  and now he swears by Redex and not at his mower (it is only basically kerosene (jet engine fuel) but it dissolves stick and gungy petrol deposits)  I have used it to clean carbs before.

it will keep fuel pump and injectors sweet as well.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 01:57:38 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 02:22:34 PM »
I think it depends on the miles done and how they were driven ( mostly town or distance ie motorway).
It is my belief that fuel burns a lot cleaner nowadays than it did when I first started driving.
So how much is a bottle of redex? One thing is for sure if used correctly it won't do any harm.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk
Think it is about £5

guest5079

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 04:06:52 PM »
Sorry for this bit of nostalgia but, in the late 60's I was a 'mechanic' in a small garage in Cornwall. Back when a mechanic was a jack of all trades and some say master of none.
We had a customer, who was a Lady in her 30's, a teacher and she drove a Triumph Spitfire. She did a daily round trip of about 40 miles. She came in one day asking if we could help. She had been going to a garage who claimed they couldn't find out what the problem was with the spitfire. My boss and I were pretty sure what it was as she used to pass the garage twice a day. She drove everywhere at 30mph in top gear.
So we asked her to leave the car with us. Engine started, revs up to about 2,500 and then pump Redex into the carbs.
Then it was a 'thrash' down the road with all behind obliterated. No charge. We then got the job of looking after the car and despite us telling her why, she used to come in regularly and ask for our tune up!!!!! Good job we were in the country.
If I hadn't done the job I would not have believed how good Redex was at cleaning the combustion chambers of the internal combustion engine..
Frankly, I didn't know REdex was still around.

guest5185

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 12:27:24 AM »
It was on offer in Tescos recently, so I bought a bottle and think it has made an improvement although hard to quantify.

Tags: