Author Topic: Views on Runners?  (Read 2553 times)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Views on Runners?
« on: November 20, 2021, 05:26:15 PM »
As a runner, I was wondering what your views are on runners in the road.

Where I live, I run mainly on paths, towpaths, trails and tracks, but to get there, or when training for road races, or in the dark, or appalling weather, I do have to run on roads. Most of the roads I run on near me are single track and some are very narrow indeed.

I always, even in bright daylight, have some high vis elements to my clothing, usually long socks, as the movement is easy to spot. At night and in bad weather, I wear high reflective elements also. I never wear headphones due to safety but also because one main reason I run is to be outside, and being outside to me means enjoying the sights and the sounds of nature.

When running on the road, I always keep to the right, to face oncoming traffic, as we were taught as kids. The exception is where the lie of the land or the bend in the road means I can see better, and drivers can see me sooner, if I keep to the left. One example is long right hand sweeps of the road or certain junction types, like crossroads between lanes where I am turning right.

Wherever possible, I try to make eye contact with an oncoming driver. If I am able, I will stop and get into the hedge to let a car pass without pause, or wave a car coming from behind through, if I can see their way is clear.

As of yet, and I have been running hereabouts like this for six years now with no real issues. There are inconsiderate drivers who do come close, don't slow down at all or consider a driver coming the other way and forget about me, but no near death experiences so far.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Views on Runners?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 05:35:06 PM »
The rule of the country, as you say, is to walk on the side facing the traffic.

I adopt the same strategy on busy town pavements and stay close to the kerb allowing those walking the other way to walk further in. When I'm walking the same way as the traffic I walk away from the kerb and you'd not be surprised at those who try to force you to the edge.

Doesn't work with me, I hold my position.
Let's be careful out there !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 06:14:02 PM »
Can never understand in UK that we drive on the left but in shopping centres and pavements pedestrians seem to walk on the right....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 11:44:14 AM »
I've noticed that as well. Very annoying especially on stairs, escalators and the like.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 11:57:32 AM »
All I can say is if you put reflective bands on lower legs or arms ( something that moves a lot when you run ) they are easier for vehicles to see, even with dipped headlights,  and flashing LED lights that you can wear are so cheap these days it is a no-brainer,  most of them are bright enough to be visible in daylight as well. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 12:06:37 PM »
Ran for 35 years on roads: high viz vest/jerkin, head torch in winter/night, reflective strips on shoes. Faced ongoing traffic and noted suitable hedges to throw myself into/walls to climb/barbed wire to avoid so would not be killed by kamikaze drivers. Used to average 40 miles+ per week.

No crashes /smashes but lots of splashes.

Fell a few times on ice /loose stones - few cuts etc but no broken bones.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 08:54:22 PM »
Can we include cyclists in this post.
Have just returned home 8.0pm  via a 10 mile stretch of country lanes.
I narrowly missed a lone cyclist riding with no rear lights, or any vestige of hi-vis clothing. in fact he seemed to be wearing black lycra or similar.
WHAT AN IDIOT!!
Is it any wonder some cyclists get a bad name?

Bazzzer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX Navi
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 09:26:39 PM »
My thought at the start of this thread was of cyclists riding in dodgy light, unlit, in black clothing.

Regarding walking, when on quiet country roads, I'll usually swap sides to be on the outside of a bend. It gives more chance to be seen, particularly when there's no verge.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 09:38:12 PM »
My thought at the start of this thread was of cyclists riding in dodgy light, unlit, in black clothing.

Regarding walking, when on quiet country roads, I'll usually swap sides to be on the outside of a bend. It gives more chance to be seen, particularly when there's no verge.

The number of cyclists without lights dodging traffic in our area is a real problem...

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 04:17:51 AM »
I have no issue with cyclists who keep as far left as possible but there is a growing band of selfish ones who ride 2 or 3 abreast on main A roads and once a HGV gets behind them you get a massive tailback.

Then they moan when the overtake is very close.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2021, 09:07:49 AM »
I have no issue with cyclists who keep as far left as possible but there is a growing band of selfish ones who ride 2 or 3 abreast on main A roads and once a HGV gets behind them you get a massive tailback.

Then they moan when the overtake is very close.

I used to work with a bunch of rabid cyclists,  they insist that riding 3 abreast is their right, and it actually makes it EASIER for traffic to overtake them because 3 cyclists abreast take up less length of road than 3 in line.  There also seems to be a snobbery amongst modern riders,  a workmate had a bike he paid 2 grand for, and when he turned up at the club it was 'Oh you got one of those', as they mounted their £10,000 carbon fibre bikes that weigh a few pounds less than other bikes, but if you damage the carbon fibre they cost as much as a car to repair. 

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2021, 10:22:37 AM »
I treat all cyclists as having excrement for brains. It is the safest policy although many have real brains and use them.

But when you are driving along single track country roads, up a hill with lots of corners and zero forward visibility due to hedges, and encounter a cyclist in black doing at least 20mph downhill coming round a corner in the middle of the road and heading straight for you, an emergency stop by me at 10mph is not going to save the cyclist. He ended up in the hawthorn hedge!

Not much can be done for idiots like that but Darwinism will out.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2021, 10:47:34 AM »
My wife and myself were out with our dog doing a walk. We needed to walk on a narrow country road for a short distance to get into the next field. The road had a tight bend. I could hear a vehicle approaching. We pushed ourselves into the hedge as much as possible. Next moment a car came around the blind bend going too fast to stop gracefully. There was some skidding before the car managed to come to a standstill. I shouted at the driver that he was going too fast! The driver and passenger were middle-aged people. They both looked shocked. My wife and I were shaken up.

I used to cycle 100 miles a week to work on the busy roads between Malvern and Worcester, (no cycle lanes). I had some hairy experiences, including getting knocked off the bike one bright sunny morning. I always wore hi-vis kit and had good lights when it was winter. Some cyclists are idiots. Some drivers are idiots. Trouble is, there are many more cars than cyclists. Cyclists are 100% more vulnerable than drivers. Let's be careful out there.
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2021, 12:07:34 PM »
I used to know that road fairly well,.

In-Laws were in Barnards Green and the Sister-in-law St Johns

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2021, 02:21:14 PM »
[quote from deleted posted removed by Admin]

Cyclists probably drive all makes of vehicles.... but they seem to forget that the rules still apply to them when on two wheels.... went to see Milton Jones last week, he said 'any cyclists in the audience' then flashed a picture of a red traffic light up on a screen, 'any of you know what this means?'
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 11:41:20 AM by RichardA »

Tags:

anything