Author Topic: Rolls-Royce plans mini nuclear reactors by 2029  (Read 1054 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Rolls-Royce plans mini nuclear reactors by 2029
« on: January 25, 2020, 04:05:27 PM »
Announcement yesterday that a consortium, led by Rolls Royce, intend developing modular mini nuclear power stations. They intend having them operating by 2029. As usual there are plenty naysayers but it certainly offers hope for the survival of nuclear power, here in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51233444

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
Re: Rolls-Royce plans mini nuclear reactors by 2029
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 04:52:02 PM »
I would expect them to be ideal.

And RR are a company that I would trust to get it done

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 05:03:42 PM »
They reckon every town could have it's own power station, but think that building on common sites would be better for security.

https://www.rolls-royce.com/products-and-services/nuclear/small-modular-reactors.aspx#/
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 05:06:02 PM by Jocko »

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 05:08:25 PM »
And just to prove it is safe. Site one on Westminster Green. Next to the House of commons.
And another on Hampstead Heath

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 05:31:54 PM »
I think this is good to see. One of the less edifying features of our energy policy in recent years is the fact that we are building Hinkley Point B with French expertise and Chinese money and this, the UK, a country that was amongst the leaders in the civilian use of nuclear power back in the day.

The local thing is interesting as well. I gather in Germany, for example, there is much more local power generation than here in the UK.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 06:36:46 PM »
They reckon every town could have it's own power station, but think that building on common sites would be better for security.

Agree, nuclear reactors are a magnet for terrorists,  it is one thing building a local coal fired power station ( like Germany seems to be doing these days ) because terrorists are not interested in coal ash - but the by-product of nuclear power station would certainly get their interest.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 06:55:18 PM »
I agree about the security issues.

As for the technology, I don't see why they should have any problems - Rolls-Royce have been designing and building small pressurised water nuclear reactors for British submarines since 1965, and still do so today. A new reactor built by RR, but ironically a new US design based on RR technology, will power the new Dreadnought class submarines, currently under construction.

That's why I could never understand the rush to hand design, build and operation of nuclear power stations to foreign companies (and governments), after a long history of nuclear reactor design and development in this country. Hopefully, our withdrawal from Euratom will not mean that we no longer play an active role in the Generation IV International Forum (GIF) too.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 08:20:06 PM by sparky Paul »

Tags: