Author Topic: Worst attempt at parking I have seen in a long while.  (Read 2200 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Worst attempt at parking I have seen in a long while.
« on: December 17, 2019, 10:06:32 AM »
This morning I was parked in a one way street, with parallel parking down both sides. A woman turned up in a MG. I think it was a MG3 (like the Rover 25). The space immediately opposite me was clear, so she decided to park there. Now these spaces are big (a Volvo V70 estate had just parked, with no problems, in front of me), and the car behind where she was trying to park was well to the rear of its space, so she had almost a bay and a half of space. After about four aborted attempts, where she never got more than half her car in the bay, she gave up and drove a little further up the road.
There was a bay at the end, immediately butting on to the double yellow lines, making parking a doddle. She parked there, with half her car width out in the road. She then got out of the car, realised how far she had to walk to the kerb, so got back in and after three more attempts, got her wheels inside the marked box. Except she hadn't. Her front wheels were outside the bay, on the yellow lines. She got out, went to the machine to buy her ticket, and on her return spotted her problem. She then got back in, and after a bit of shunting back and forth, finally got all four wheels inside the marked box.
The entire escapade provided 20 minutes of entertainment for me. Now I am not the best at parallel parking, but if I was that bad I think I would have parked somewhere open, and walked to the shops. Or even taken public transport. She is obviously someone who will benefit from self driving cars!  :o

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Worst attempt at parking I have seen in a long while.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 10:45:46 AM »
Jocko, you are roughly my age, remember the "Reginald Molehusband" adds in the 1960s?

Sound only unfortunately.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 10:49:34 AM by peteo48 »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 11:07:11 AM »
Every time I make a good job of parking my wife says "Well done, Reginald".

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 11:27:01 AM »
And here's me thinking I was the only person left who could remember Reginald.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 11:48:38 AM »
She is obviously someone who will benefit from self driving cars!

Or even just self-parking.   Wife's Tiguan does it - she never uses it, and I find it a bit of a faff (you've got to activate it and watch the display, while at the same time watching all around you) but it parallel parks remarkably well, and will put the car in very tight spaces.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 12:47:39 PM »
Its down to lack of training.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 04:46:45 PM »
Its down to lack of training.

Most things are down to a lack of natural aptitude......
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 06:29:27 PM »
I was never taught to parallel park. When I learned to drive if there was another car in the street, it was busy. The lady driver was of an age where she could well have passed her test before parking was taught for the test.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 07:03:21 PM »
It's one of those things that supposedly is more difficult for women due to spatial awareness differences between men and women.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 09:00:39 PM »
That's because for most of their adult lives men have been telling them that 4 inches were 7 inches.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2019, 09:16:05 PM »
It's one of those things that supposedly is more difficult for women due to spatial awareness differences between men and women.

Yeah,  but in this article Germaine Greer blames it on the fact that women have boobs..

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1237236/Men-ARE-better-women-parking-Feminist-scientists-proves-sexist-motorists-known-along.html
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2019, 12:26:20 AM »

A few years ago, I remember watching a woman in Greece trying to park a Peugeot 106. Not a large car by any standards but watching her you would think she was at the wheel of an HGV. Simply put, she appeared to have zero grasp of the concept of steering in reverse, something which most of us take for granted and ended up performing a series of awkward manouevres which got her absolutely nowhere. In the end she abandoned the car by the side of the road, half in half out. I don't know how things are done in Greece but I just wonder how she passed her test, if in fact she did...

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2019, 08:26:12 AM »
I think this is, unfairly, turning into a criticism of female drivers, many of whom are excellent at parking and driving in general. I parked on a busy road last night, and barely got in off the road!
Having said that, my next story is about a lady who was a colleague of mine. She came in one day to say she had got her car jammed up against a concrete pillar, and couldn't get it out. We went out to see if we could help and ended up having to lift the car away from the pillar. The damage amounted to two new door skins and a bottom half respray.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2019, 11:54:12 AM »
I was never taught to parallel park. When I learned to drive if there was another car in the street, it was busy. The lady driver was of an age where she could well have passed her test before parking was taught for the test.

Don't think I was either. As a result I am rubbish at it. Every now and then I get it right but that's just the law of averages. My daughter, on the other hand, is an excellent parallel parker and gets plenty of practice given that she has never had off road parking.

Wondered about this and I think the issue with me is that I have almost never had to do it. All our properties have had off road parking and, when working, I always had access to a car park.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2019, 12:03:12 PM »
My biggest problem is that I usually end up with my offside aligned with the offside of the vehicles I park between. If they happen to be SUVs I am a mile from the kerb!

Tags:

anything