Poll

I don't want a debate, but given Boris worrying the UK with a Labour.SNP pact to bring Scotland a second Independence referendum, how many of our English members would be happy to see a second referendum?

Yes, let Scotland decide.
10 (32.3%)
Yes, and good riddance.
3 (9.7%)
No.
18 (58.1%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Second referendum for Scotland  (Read 12238 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Second referendum for Scotland
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2019, 06:58:01 PM »
Assuming they would want to stay in Scotland.

Why wouldn't they, assuming Scotland can find a place back in the EU.

I'm sure that I read somewhere that the bulk of the insurance underwriting business is to the EU, rather than the UK.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2019, 12:39:25 AM »
I don't believe Scotland could survive, in the financial sense, if they were to go their separate ways.
When the idea was first mooted some years ago, North Sea oil/gas was going to be the saviour.
However since then, revenues have fallen sharply and are likely to continue doing so, as the supplies dwindle and climate change matters come to the fore.
Sorry Jocko, just my opinion😴

Agreed. However, it seems to me the 'auld alliance' is anything but dead. The reason the munchkin and her accomplices want out and into the beckoning arms of the EU boils down to subsidies and the old chestnut that the English are whatever they think they are for whatever reasons which go back many many years. Personally, I believe it would be a sad day if the Union broke up and really makes no sense, but the apparent unbackstopping of the Irish backstop opens a potential can of worms which will be exploited to it fullest extent by the noisy minority.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2019, 12:41:02 AM »
Assuming they would want to stay in Scotland.

Indeed.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2019, 01:23:19 PM »
RBS was rescued for £45Bn...

That's about £10k per Scot. 

And an extra £1500 per head spending under the Barnett formula.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnett_formula

Good riddance :-)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2019, 05:29:04 PM »
RBS was rescued for £45Bn...

That's about £10k per Scot. 

Why "per Scot"? RBS is a UK bank, it doesn't just serve Scotland, in fact 90% of it's customers reside in the rest of the UK.

And an extra £1500 per head spending under the Barnett formula.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnett_formula

Good riddance :-)

The aim of the Barnett formula was to reflect the extra costs of delivering public services to more remote areas. Whilst the arbitrary nature of the calculation method is far from ideal, there has to be some recognition of the challeges faced providing public services to these areas, just as money is made available to other areas of the country where there are specific needs.

I guess you would say good riddance to the Welsh too, and indeed Northern Ireland, who receive nearly £2000 per head more. In fact, why stop there... why waste public money regenerating areas decimated by deindustrialisation, damaged by flooding, etc.?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2019, 10:55:46 PM »
Why "per Scot"? RBS is a UK bank, it doesn't just serve Scotland, in fact 90% of it's customers reside in the rest of the UK.

Based in Scotland though and contributing to Scottish economy ( the clue is in the name and they issue Scottish banknotes ) - you could just as easily say Santander is a European bank not a Spanish bank because its customers are not all in Spain.....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2019, 05:23:04 AM »

Based in Scotland though and contributing to Scottish economy ( the clue is in the name and they issue Scottish banknotes ) - you could just as easily say Santander is a European bank not a Spanish bank because its customers are not all in Spain.....

Whatabouterry.

I was commenting about Scotland: a country I know well being an exiled Scot. I did add a smiley as well.

In my view , people who want independence should be granted it: along with a full share of national debt and zero financial assistance..

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2019, 07:34:49 AM »
It would be interesting to see a true, unbiased financial forecast of the effect on both Scotland and the rest of the United Kingdom.

I too think Independence should mean exactly that.  Paying your own way with no external aid.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2019, 08:36:02 AM »
It would be interesting to see a true, unbiased financial forecast of the effect on both Scotland and the rest of the United Kingdom.

Aye there's the rub.
Eg. Why should the Scots be indebted for things from which we'll gain no benefit - Crossrail, HS2 etc.
 The present system of Government Expenditure and Revenue in Scotland  is written by the Westminster government and is heavily skewed in their favour.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/680315788681081/

I too think Independence should mean exactly that.  Paying your own way with no external aid.
Absolutely.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2019, 10:24:44 AM »
Based in Scotland though and contributing to Scottish economy ( the clue is in the name and they issue Scottish banknotes )

It undoubtedly contributes to the local economy, but the massive tax revenues pre the Lehman Bros. debacle went directly to the UK exchequer.

you could just as easily say Santander is a European bank not a Spanish bank because its customers are not all in Spain.....

To be fair, you can find Santander on the high streets of 16 European countries. You won't find many RBS or NatWest branches outwith the UK. I bank with them both.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 10:26:29 AM by sparky Paul »

guest7494

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2019, 10:46:52 AM »
I don't like referenda, but we do live in a parliamentary democracy. If the majority of Scottish MPs and MSPs were elected on a manifesto policy of a second referendum, why shouldn't they push for it?

Keep the abuse down please  ;)

All these referendums, what a word, it causes upset, arguments even families are at odds with each other.
Just step back and reflect that time can never be recovered it slips by minute by minute, accept  what we all have enjoyed in our lives.
And do not forget the old Adage SAFETY IN NUMBERS we are now in more danger than EVER before from external and in the case of Comrade Corbyn internal forces that can destroy one and all in seconds.
I say step back and think before jumping in the wrong direction.
We as a country have been diluted in many ways we are not the same do or die as our forefathers some of this dilution would jump ship as the saying goes when and if a call to arms were made.
Trust me you would see a massive exodus in the blink of an eye.
And before all and sundry say this is not PC this not so nor intended, but wait and see.I hope of course this call is never made.
The important things in life are happines,a full stomach and good health not squabbling over who can carve out there own little kingdom.irrespective of creed etc etc.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2019, 11:07:27 AM »
All these referendums, what a word, it causes upset, arguments even families are at odds with each other.

I agree, we are a parliamentary democracy - we should not rule by plebescite.

We as a country have been diluted in many ways we are not the same do or die as our forefathers some of this dilution would jump ship as the saying goes when and if a call to arms were made.
Trust me you would see a massive exodus in the blink of an eye.

You're right, it's not 'PC'. I think you ignore the sacrifices made many millions of Commonwealth subjects that have fought and died for the British cause.

...in the case of Comrade Corbyn

::)  When the debate is over, slander becomes the tool of the loser. - Socrates
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 11:16:31 AM by sparky Paul »

guest7494

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2019, 11:20:37 AM »
I did not and have not, you may have missed the relevant word FOREFATHERS.I am sure this is purely an oversight.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2019, 11:37:53 AM »
I did not and have not, you may have missed the relevant word FOREFATHERS.I am sure this is purely an oversight.

No oversight, I'm just pointing out that because someone's family origins are in another country, it doesn't mean that some born or naturalised here will run at the first sign of trouble. There's absolutely no basis to believe that.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2019, 12:15:23 PM »
I agree, we are a parliamentary democracy - we should not rule by plebescite.
So if Scotland's Parliament votes for a referendum (after all Scotland is a parliamentary democracy) then we should be allowed to hold one?

Tags: