Poll

I don't want a debate, but given Boris worrying the UK with a Labour.SNP pact to bring Scotland a second Independence referendum, how many of our English members would be happy to see a second referendum?

Yes, let Scotland decide.
10 (32.3%)
Yes, and good riddance.
3 (9.7%)
No.
18 (58.1%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Second referendum for Scotland  (Read 12237 times)

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
Re: Second referendum for Scotland
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2019, 11:28:45 PM »
What makes you think that Labour are in collusion with the SNP?

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2019, 08:04:38 AM »
I don't. The question was do voters outside Scotland believe Boris when he says that, and if so, is they more or less likely to vote Tory. Middle Englanders, who want Scotland out, may believe him and may more likely vote Labour, not what Boris is making the claim to achieve.
I have no axe to grind on whether or not Scotland gets a second Independence referendum.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2019, 08:18:53 AM »
I don't. The question was do voters outside Scotland believe Boris when he says that, and if so, is they more or less likely to vote Tory. Middle Englanders, who want Scotland out, may believe him and may more likely vote Labour, not what Boris is making the claim to achieve.
I have no axe to grind on whether or not Scotland gets a second Independence referendum.
Surely no-one believes Boris any more. :D ???

https://graziadaily.co.uk/life/real-life/boris-johnson-brexit-telegraph/
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/why-are-we-so-surprised-that-boris-johnson-lied-when-he-s-been-sacked-for-lying-twice-before-a7105976.html
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 08:27:16 AM by JimSh »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2019, 08:51:58 AM »
I don't imagine everyone believes everything he says, but some people will  believe bits of what he says, especially if it mirrors their opinions.
As the old joke goes, "How can you tell when a politician is lying? Their lips move."

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2019, 09:07:58 AM »
Surely no-one believes Boris any more. :D ???

I've noticed a significant hardening of opinion about Boris from the people I speak to around here. Either they hate his guts, or think he's the messiah - definitely a marmite character.

The question was do voters outside Scotland believe Boris when he says that, and if so, is they more or less likely to vote Tory. Middle Englanders, who want Scotland out, may believe him and may more likely vote Labour, not what Boris is making the claim to achieve.

I'm not sure it concerns people as much as it did a few years ago, I mainly hear Scotland being framed as a nuisance to be ignored. I think the Tory party are happy to let things drag on while the SNP deprive Labour of the 50 or so Scottish seats they relied upon up to 2005.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2019, 09:39:47 AM »
I don't believe Scotland could survive, in the financial sense, if they were to go their separate ways.
When the idea was first mooted some years ago, North Sea oil/gas was going to be the saviour.
However since then, revenues have fallen sharply and are likely to continue doing so, as the supplies dwindle and climate change matters come to the fore.
Sorry Jocko, just my opinion😴

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2019, 09:59:33 AM »
Sorry Jocko, just my opinion
My opinion to. I will not vote for independence now, especially after the debacle over the Northern Ireland border

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2019, 11:45:36 AM »
Sorry Jocko, just my opinion
My opinion to. I will not vote for independence now, especially after the debacle over the Northern Ireland border

What about tax revenues from the banking (assuming they recover) and insurance sectors in Edinburgh, which currently go to the exchequer? Surely they could be significant?

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2019, 11:52:13 AM »
Assuming they would want to stay in Scotland.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2019, 12:04:17 PM »

What about Scotlands share of the national debt, and the banks that were bailed out by UK taxpayers under Gordon Brown.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2019, 01:07:05 PM »
What about Scotlands share of the national debt, and the banks that were bailed out by UK taxpayers under Gordon Brown.
Perhaps JimSh would like to talk on that, as I am no more in favour of independence than you are.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2019, 01:31:57 PM »
In principle, the citizens of any nation should be able to determine their future by means such as referenda, elections, etc. But the problem with a Scottish independence referendum is “Who gets to vote ?”. Scotland is part of the UK, so any referendum is really all about breaking up that nation. That will affect everyone in some way, so logically all citizens of the nation should get a vote, not just the small sub-set who happen to live in one part of it. So by all means have another referendum, but only if all British citizens get a vote. That should also satisfy the Scottish diaspora who were a bit grumpy because they didn’t get a vote last time. Doubt it’ll happen like that though !

And given how difficult B****t is proving, just how hard would it be to separate the Union ?

Basil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.2 S Mk2 - GG5 & 1.5 Sport Mk3 - GK5
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2019, 02:21:36 PM »
That's a bit like saying all EU citizens should have been allowed to vote on Brexit !

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2019, 03:20:15 PM »
I don't believe Scotland could survive, in the financial sense, if they were to go their separate ways.
When the idea was first mooted some years ago, North Sea oil/gas was going to be the saviour.
However since then, revenues have fallen sharply and are likely to continue doing so, as the supplies dwindle and climate change matters come to the fore.
Sorry Jocko, just my opinion😴

Wee quiz for the doubters :-
https://www.businessforscotland.com/take-the-scotland-the-brief-quiz/?fbclid=IwAR1oAfTiZ3rd9kdj_tIdDB308mKPEEwoKuwEMYkfLvWMiF710xhWWEjp6JU

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2019, 04:26:18 PM »

A good reason to get out sooner rather than later given the way both Westminster parties are shaking their magic money trees.

Tags: