Author Topic: 2018 Jazz headlight automatic dip  (Read 2425 times)

Iain J

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.3 i-VTEC SE %dr
2018 Jazz headlight automatic dip
« on: December 19, 2019, 09:00:47 PM »
Since new, the automatic headlight dipping/main beam has behaved erratically.  On some occasions the system operates 'as advertised' but other times it won't go to high beam despite complete darkness.  At other times the lights will not dip when other cars are approaching leading to lots of flashing of lights and embarrassment.

Our Honda dealer has had the car for 'testing' and 'fixing' but with only marginal success.

Honda 'Technical' don't believe there is a problem.

Is this unreliable system unique to my Jazz?

csp

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Average 63 mpg
  • My Honda: Platinum White Jazz e:HEV SR 2020
Re: 2018 Jazz headlight automatic dip
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 09:35:58 PM »
Often have to reset the Auto dip function whilst driving by switching to side lights and immediately back to auto because when the auto dip is playing up. The system works most of the time but not all of the time. The standard answer from garages & car manufacturers when a customer reports a problem is "they all do that sir"! My Jazz is a Mk3 SE registered in September 2015 so I suspect there is a problem with the Jazz auto dip system.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 08:52:12 AM »
Judging by the number of times you get blinded by newer cars coming towards you, I don't think any of the auto main beam systems are perfect. It certainly isn't on my Vaux, which means you always have be be on your guard with it... which rather defeats the object.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 09:23:11 PM »
The auto main beam should happen automatically in very dark ambient conditions and no oncoming lights. Once the main beam is on then the auto dip is triggered by an oncoming bright light. The technology isn't clever enough (yet) to detect the light from oncoming headlights which a driver can normally see before the lights themselves come into view. Nor can the system detect a vehicle waiting at a junction so the unfortunate driver gets blinded by the auto main beam. I normally switch to manual mode once the auto main beam has been engaged.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 02:49:55 PM »
I normally switch to manual mode once the auto main beam has been engaged.

That's what I normally end up doing, but I think that rather defeats the point of having it.

At the same time, plenty of drivers are quite oblivious to the fact they are blinding other traffic on a regular basis.

Tags: