Author Topic: Help! I am confused  (Read 16925 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Help! I am confused
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 11:57:26 AM »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2017, 02:55:14 PM »
...he hates the complication of modern diesels and also realises that if he gets a  Diesel today,  in 12 months time it will be worth peanuts (if he can sell it at all).

There's an alternate view that people who want/prefer diesels will be pushed more to the second hand market due to the increasing cost and tax implications on new vehicles, and this may artificially inflate the value of recent reliable diesels. Whichever way, it will be interesting to see what happens.

The only thing that will drop in value more than a Diesel is a pure EV
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2017, 03:34:46 PM »
...he hates the complication of modern diesels and also realises that if he gets a  Diesel today,  in 12 months time it will be worth peanuts (if he can sell it at all).

There's an alternate view that people who want/prefer diesels will be pushed more to the second hand market due to the increasing cost and tax implications on new vehicles, and this may artificially inflate the value of recent reliable diesels. Whichever way, it will be interesting to see what happens.

The only thing that will drop in value more than a Diesel is a pure EV

Or the pound post Brexit?

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2017, 09:26:17 PM »
Here's Clarkson's review:

https://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews/clarkson/clarkson-review-2016-honda-jazz/

I see he added a comparison with the Ford Fiesta Ecoboost, lets see how close the Fiesta Ecoboost can get to its claimed 65mpg. I bet the Jazz would achieve better real-world figures.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2017, 09:42:42 PM »
I see he added a comparison with the Ford Fiesta Ecoboost, lets see how close the Fiesta Ecoboost can get to its claimed 65mpg. I bet the Jazz would achieve better real-world figures.
Speculation which is borne out by the facts at Honest John's realmpg http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/honda/jazz-2014 and http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ford/fiesta-2013/10t-ecoboost. For me the surprise is that CVT Jazz has worse mpg than the manual.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2017, 04:52:39 PM »
For me the surprise is that CVT Jazz has worse mpg than the manual.
Yes, although I wonder if maybe more down to how the CVT versions are generally used. Perhaps they are mostly used by people doddering around town? That's not really true in my case but then I averaged 55mpg last summer I think and am currently managing 50mpg. I do have a some stop start travel in their but only about 2 miles of a 12 mile commute.

guest3042

• Topic Starter
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2017, 08:36:45 PM »
I finally had a test drive in an EX today. It felt a little sluggish from a standing start compared to my Hybrid, but fine once it got into its stride. Very impressed with the turning circle though. Even better than the hybrid, much to my wife's delight. We didn't get much time to try the infotainment system, but will have another test run next week in the car we are interested in buying with only 1100 miles on the clock since it was registered in 2015
Is there anything we should ask about, such as any software updates?
Thanks

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2017, 09:46:03 PM »
Very impressed with the turning circle though. Even better than the hybrid, much to my wife's delight.

Brochure for Hybrid is 10.22m kerb to kerb, and 10.8m for Mk3.

Wouldn't be the the first time the brochure has been wrong.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2017, 11:59:55 AM »
Brochure for Hybrid is 10.22m kerb to kerb, and 10.8m for Mk3.

Wouldn't be the the first time the brochure has been wrong.
The brochure is right: The Mk 3 Jazz turning circle is measured over the body, which is a worse case than kerb-to-kerb due to the body overhang.

The hybrid's electric motor helps the smooth starts more than it contributes to the fuel economy. You will have to get used to the Mk 3 needing to rev the engine above 3,000 rpm to get substantial power and decent acceleration (and then discover you are already over the speed limit).

1,100 miles in over a year is low to the extent if potentially bad if the engine has never been properly warmed up. Have a look at the mpg data in the trip computer (provided it hasn't been reset) as this could be a proxy for the usage pattern (very low (40 or less) mpg would indicate loads of short trips).

There is definitely an update or two for the infotainment system.

guest3042

• Topic Starter
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2017, 12:27:37 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I have since discovered this has been a Motability vehicle, so it would seem to have done very short trips which is a bit worrying. May have to rethink this.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2017, 01:07:01 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I have since discovered this has been a Motability vehicle, so it would seem to have done very short trips which is a bit worrying. May have to rethink this.

Good idea,  you are still charged a premium for low mileage vehicles which is not warranted - arguably they deteriorate more than a car that does average or above mileage.  My wife had a bargain (from a Honda dealership) on a 2012 1.4 Si that had done 36K in 18 months,  its price reflected the mileage but it stood on the forecourt for weeks, we got it for less than sticker price and it has been absolutely faultless (except for bad rust on rear discs which I changed last year,  which cannot really be blamed on anything except Honda fitting bad discs). Do not be afraid of high mileage,  be wary of low mileage.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2017, 01:48:06 PM »
I would see this a cause for concern rather than a reason to walk away and can be used as a basis to haggle the price down and/or get the dealer to provide an extended warranty. One year of low mileage won't be as bad as three years.

A few years ago my daughter bought a very low mileage Mini (3? years old) which made various strange noises and went back for investigations and the water pump (and maybe other things) were replaced under the 1 year dealer warranty. However, the residual uncertainty about reliability meant she bought an extended warrranty for a further year at her expense. However, I haven't heard of any further problems and maybe the problems she had were more to do with it being a Mini than being very low mileage.

Tags:

anything