Author Topic: Another Yank invading your forums ;)  (Read 6896 times)

guest3312

Another Yank invading your forums ;)
« on: June 17, 2012, 03:42:53 PM »
So, few things before I introduce myself properly.
First, I do not live in Alabama(really sorry about what they did to the Top Gear crew, made us look bad)
Second, I would much rather drive an aston or an MG than any of the rubbish that we call "american muscle"(its all manufactured in china and assembled here)
Those things being said...
Hello, I am FightingPlankton, My girlfriend and I(both in our 20's) purchased a 2012 Honda fit Sport yesterday. Brand new, right off the lot. We did so at the insistence of the Top Gear mums when the chose the Jazz over the Renault and the Peugeot(which we cant get anyway).
I'm tired of all the yabbos over here that drop their civics and put body kits and say a front skirt makes the car have 10 more bhp. However, that doesn't mean I wouldnt like to have something unique...at least, over here.
My plan is to order in some Jazz floor mats and the rear badge and replace anything that says "Fit". This way my car will be different without looking like a complete pillock.
so, if any of you would like to trade brand-new, still wrapped in plastic floor mats that say "Fit" for equal conditioned "jazz" mats, let me know?

guest3295

• Topic Starter
Re: Another Yank invading your forums ;)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 06:59:48 PM »
I'm not a brit, but in the internet borders don't matter that much, so....
welcome!!!
As for the Top gear guys, I think they were asking for it... lolololol
(but I'm portuguese)
I really don't understand all the fascination for muscle (but no power) cars, a bit like some guys that pump so much iron, that the blood goes everywhere but.. well the place where it matters
anyway... you must feel like a swan in a duck lake hehehehehe

guest3312

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 07:06:33 PM »
Yeh, pretty much. I went to a car show yesterday and was drooling over the tr6's and the triumphs and even a MGD...and of course there was a 911, but my dad was talking to all the guys about their trans am's and camaro's... i felt so out of place. I know next to nothing about American cars because I honestly loathe them.
Alem disso, falo espanhol, que e perto de Portugues, mas nao muito. :D

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 07:36:47 PM »
Hello and welcome. :)

We've had a few American cars sold here over the years:

- Corvette & the latest Camero - both LHD only
- Various Chryslers & Dodge models such as the Neon and Calibar - most were often rated as 'sub-Korean' by the motoring press.
- Jeep - very popular here in the mid 90's but off the radar these days as people want German SUVs.
- 1994-97 Ford Probe - allegedly, sales declined rapidly after an obnoxious fictional TV character (Gareth Cheeseman) drove one.
- 90's Ford Explorer
- Ford Escape 2000-2003
- Ford Cougar 1998-2001
- Some Vauxhall-badged GM minivan - allegedly discontinued after poor NCAP crash test results.

Am I right in thinking Honda (and VW) are perceived as an economy brand in the US? Over here, Honda (and especially VW) like to think of themselves as filling a gap between Ford/GM and the upmarket German brands.

guest3312

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 07:58:21 PM »
well, it really depends. I think most people here consider Ford and Chevy the "working class" cars.
The cars that command more respect are things like the Cadillac Escalade, the Chevy Avalanche, and of course the dreaded Hummer. If you own a corvette, charger, mustang, etc, of course people will notice you, but the younger generation is concerned with being big, gaudy and obnoxious.
As for Honda's, VW's and the like, I think they're middle ground. In my town the Civic out-numbers the Toyota Corolla 3-1(corolla being the most abundant car in the states).
Mercedes, Audi, and Porsche are only driven by the well-to-do here unless it's an older model.
There is a doctor in town who owns both a Bently continental and a lambo gallardo.

As for my goals toward turning my Fit into a Jazz...I've stumbled across a rather perplexing dilemma. I fear if I purchase the "jazz" floor carpets, They will not fit properly in the Fit due to the nature of the pedals being on the wrong side over here(notice how I consider yours the proper way). Might just have to get some generic Mats and have my mate Liz embroider them with the Jazz logo.

guest3312

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 08:07:25 PM »
I work in a petrol station so I get to see quite a few different cars. Most of them are Japanese surprisingly. Oh, and hyundai... those are basically for people on government assistance(I apologize if any of you own one, it's just the way it is over here).
I think honda does fill a gap, but they also make more reliable cars, I'd pit them against their german counter-parts in an endurance race.
I've also got 3 honda motor bikes from the 80s that are still going strong and all original.

guest3295

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 10:46:09 PM »
You could have problems with the carpets because of he pedals,  But only if you get them from the uk.  The fact is, that the average american can import stuff  from anywhere in the world... don't know if that's the case, but if you are interested I can check the price of the original stuff in Portugal, but it will be more expensive, than in the UK, because of the taxes. (23% VAT here).
I have to go there to ask for some extras for my car, and I will ask for the original carpets. if you send-me your e-mail on a PM, I can send you pictures of the stuff thy have there.

guest3312

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 01:12:17 AM »
Looks like I'll be on this site a good deal more. I've apparently upset the locals by calling them 'yabbos' for taking perfectly good cars and ruining them. Oh well.
I mean, I understand wanting to customize your car, but when everyone gets the same JDM parts and Stick on the same "Mugen" decals, where's the difference?
Also, to all the "tuners" on this site, I do not think less of you for wanting to kit out your car, merely wish to convey the thought that perhaps "tuning" a sports car may be a more productive endeavor (in my opinion).

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 09:19:48 PM »
Also, to all the "tuners" on this site, I do not think less of you for wanting to kit out your car, merely wish to convey the thought that perhaps "tuning" a sports car may be a more productive endeavor (in my opinion).

I've said the same on this forum before, why bother tuning what is basically a small people mover that is built with 8 valve engine to give good low down torque, give good mpg and be pleasant to drive around the city.  Get a VTEC and the sky is the limit - I would rather have a car that looks slow and goes fast than the other way around.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest3312

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 12:44:10 AM »
im confused...did the UK not get the vtec? i have the 2012 sport with the 15 valve 1.5L vtec. still think its not meant for tuning, but maybe thats just me.
See, I may not have my dream car(any euro sports from the 70's) but I've got 2 datsun 280 Z's. One turbo w/ 250bhp and the other NA w/ 180bhp. I have fast cars, no need to supe' up the fit imo.

guest2765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 06:27:07 AM »
"Tuning" is not the word, modifying is :P since the 1.4i 8v DS-i engine isnt really tunable (well not worth tuning). only reason ive not kitted mines with a bodykit/respray is im considering getting rid of it for a more fun civic coupe (the EM2) or an EP3 3 door hatch.

Tuning a jazz = air filter, exhaust system nothing else worth doing to the little engine, mines only has a new panel filter. (thats right not even a cone filter)

guest2765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 07:10:59 AM »
im confused...did the UK not get the vtec? i have the 2012 sport with the 15 valve 1.5L vtec. still think its not meant for tuning, but maybe thats just me.
See, I may not have my dream car(any euro sports from the 70's) but I've got 2 datsun 280 Z's. One turbo w/ 250bhp and the other NA w/ 180bhp. I have fast cars, no need to supe' up the fit imo.

I think the GE has an ivtec still only a 1.3 though (1339cc classed as 1.4i), unfortunately we didnt get the 15valve 1.5L :( i would have loved to have one...

Tags: