Author Topic: 2 questions  (Read 1511 times)

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
Re: 2 questions
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2023, 10:39:59 AM »
The Jazz uses a thermostat on inlet (into engine), "traditional" engines typically used a themostat on outlet (from engine).
A 'stat on inlet will typically operate at around 10degC lower than a 'stat on outlet type, essentially it works at desired radiator outlet temp (cooled) rather than radiator inlet temp (hot). Temp rise across an engine will typically be around 10degC at moderate/high load.

The advantages of a 'stat on inlet are that it minimises the temperature cycling within the engine.

When an outlet type begins to open it requires coolant to pass through the radiator, back to the pump, and through the engine again before it reaches the stat again, and it is inevitably cold to begin with (near ambient). The cold coolant then causes the stat to close down while the engine heats up again, and thus the hot/cold cycle gets repeated. The greater the volume of the cold circuit the worse the cycling tends to be (e.g. rear engines and front radiators, MGF and Lotus Elise were classic examples causing head gasket failures due to the temp cycling).

With a stat on inlet (to the pump) it senses the temp in the bypass circuit (engine out directly back to pump inlet) and when warm enough it begins to open to allow cold coolant in from the radiator. This mix of cold/hot coolant goes directly over the stat and so it reacts immediately and closes down a bit, preventing the system being filled with cold.

A 75C inlet stat will mean the engine runs typically around 85C outlet, which is more or less "normal" (often 88C stat on outlet). My Yaris has an 80C inlet stat.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2023, 11:32:34 AM »
That's good to know, if/when I get a Scangauge.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2023, 01:24:05 PM »
Interesting, before the Jazz I had only cars and bikes with oultet stats.

Tags: